9r II Thoughts

Inland paddling
SPL

9r II Thoughts

Post by SPL »

I really liked the original 9r but at just under 90kg dressed i was just too heavy.
So with the increased volume of the new 9r II my hopes are raised again!
I will demo it at CIWW but has anyone got one at my weight and can share their experiences/thoughts.
Cheers Simon.

Yew

Re: 9r II Thoughts

Post by Yew »

At 85 it felt fine, I think the design would handle weight better that the old one too, it felt much less trippy to paddle

countvoncount

Post by countvoncount »

I have not paddled the old 9R but had a spin in the 9r2. I really liked it. At 80 kg it felt sporty. I think it will float you fine at 90 kg too -- but it will feel like a river-runner more than a creeker (i.e. it may not be the best "I'm-scared-of-this-rapid" boat).

SPL

Post by SPL »

Cheers for your thoughts, hoping to paddle it tomorrow at CIWW if the lovely August weather allows.
I've got a Tuna 2.0 so it would be good to run them alternatively.

Burnie44

Post by Burnie44 »

Please let us know how the two compare, I am about 5kg lighter than you and I also have a Tuna 2. I would like to know if the 9r ll is much faster on flat water and if it is as easy to paddle as the Tuna2. I have found the Tuna 2 to be a very good boat.

SPL

Post by SPL »

Paddled the 9r II yesterday evening at CIWW on 10 cumecs.
Its obviously not a creek but probably the easist and best demo location available especially for £15.
I'm 90kg and a consider myself a competent G4 paddler, for example i would happily solo the upper dart at a medium level.
I had about 5 runs in the 9r doing straight blasts and also eddy hopping and playing around before reverting back to my Tuna 2.0 and finising the session back in the 9r.
My overall impression was that i didn't feel i must get one.
Of course its fast, faster than my Tuna and goes over features well and therefore carries speed down the river and i enjoyed paddling it.
The 9r was easy to break in & out and hit eddies and was perfectly stable/predictable.
But i found it difficult to change line or correct despite its considerable rocker which maybe due to me not being use to a boat of such length.
Its also felt like a lot of boat, it didn't necessarily handle like a big boat but something to get use too.
When i got back in my Tuna i found it enjoyable in a different way, more manoeuvrable and still able to go over features with a small compromise in speed.
Comfort wise the 9r was fine, aesthetically the front deck did seem quite high but raising the seat would solve that.

For me the 9r needed to be a game changer, a must have and it was good but not exceptional or considerably better than my Tuna.
It has made want to demo the Steeze which will give me speed but with a slicy rear so maybe more manoeuvrabilty but in the meantime I am very happy in my Tuna.
Cheers Simon.

Burnie44

Post by Burnie44 »

Thanks SPL for letting us know your thoughts on the two boats.

Franky

Post by Franky »

As an alternative to the 9R, you might consider demoing a Jackson Nirvana. Over the past year, I've demoed several creek boats on the Lee Valley Olympic, and the Nirvana was the only one that didn't feel too big for me (I'm 5' 7" and 80 kg). It's 9 feet long, like the 9R, but I found it surprisingly manoeuvrable.

I ended up buying one as an alternative to my Mamba on big water - but I wondered how well it would cope with rockier, narrower rapids. So I took it to the Tryweryn, and it coped very well for such a big boat. I thought it might shoot straight past the small eddy in the middle of the Ski Jump, but it planted itself there quite happily (allowing for my paddling!).

I've never paddled a 9R, because I didn't like the narrow knee position when I sat in one. So I can't say how the Nirvana compares to it on the water. But the Nirvana tracks well and yet can be made to change course more easily than I'd expect of a big boat.

It's early days yet, and I may change my mind, but as things stand, the NIrvana is the only creek boat among those I've paddled tried out that I immediately seemed to click with.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”