The Dee in a Day

Inland paddling
Cumbria

The Dee in a Day

Post by Cumbria » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Well, not all of it!
I'm planning a circular tour from Chester later this month. I have 4 days in which to complete the route. Day 1 Chester to Nantwich /start of the Llangollen canal. Days 2 and 3 Llangollen canal to pontyscyllite aquaduct. Day 4 is the query??? First question is it possible to paddle from pontyscyllite to Chester in a day, I'm estimating 40miles and if the distance is achievable is the water manageable - can the rapids be easily lined (I've read up on the weirs). I'll be using a P&h, Scorpio for the trip and towpath camping. If the Dee isn't feasible the alternative is to paddle back to Chirk and train it back to Chester.

Any comments gratefully received.

Cumbria

Re: The Dee in a Day

Post by Cumbria » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Meant to say Day 1 will be on the Shropshire Union canal.

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I have always understood that you can paddle all the way from Bala to Chester. After the Dee emerges from the hills it will be a long slog though all of the meanders. If the river is ‘up’ you will get assistance from the current but if it is at base level it is slow. My Dad’s uncle did this journey in the 1950’s in a canvas folding kayak, albeit will have portaged the weirs and fun stuff in Llangollen. He always said he preferred the Wye as much of the Dee is constrained within steep, wooded banks. You could always do a discrete bivvy for an extra night to make it easily manageable if you have the time?

If you are doing a circuit, are you leaving a car at the start? Sandy Lane? If so, be aware that there is a new time limit for the car park. Could move car onto road after unloading to avoid trouble.

Last weekend, with the high tides I paddled down from Sandy Lane to the lowest lock of the canal. Not sure where you would egress but with the staircase of locks I would use a trolley to get the boat up the steep bit. Sounds like a great mini adventure you are planning!

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 am

Cheers Simon, yes should be a great little adventure, I've wanted to paddle the aquaduct at Llangollen for years adding the run out from Chester seemed to give it a bit more purpose. Starting on the 26th if all goes to plan.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am

From Trevor (Pontyscyllite aqueduct) to Chester is easy paddling. There is Trevor Rocks rapids just upstream of the aqueduct and Newbridge rapid a few miles below which are easy class 2 rapids. Below this there are two weirs Erbistock and another which should be portaged probably. Once below the weirs the river meanders at least trebling I would guess the straight line distance to Chester.

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Cheers Dave. Hoping to head out at the tail end of next week. Fingers crossed.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:33 pm

It has been done from Bala to Chester in a day in a kayak and in an open double canoe but both were done when the river was HIGH which it certainly isn't at the moment!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”