New Boat

Inland paddling
Tony Ireland

New Boat

Post by Tony Ireland » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Opinions and or advice please chaps and chapessess.

Im currently paddling a Pyranha Nano S/M which fits me like a glov .But after really getting a taste for the whitewater I find I may be in the market for a new boat.
Im looking for something to make me have to learn some more skills take me out of my comfort zone and up my paddling game to get the best out of it and me.
Im 5' 10" and 10stone. (63.5 kgs)
Was toying with aquiring a Dagger Axiom 8.5, what say you kayaking gurus, shall I do it or is there anything else I should demo?
Also in the running.....maybe, are a Diesel 70 and Recon 70
Cheers
T.

twopigs

Re: New Boat

Post by twopigs » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:54 pm

In my humble opinion - if you're happy to start paddling Grade 2/3 rather than pushing the grades from day one - go for something with unforgiving edges and paddle on water where the consequences of getting it wrong is a swim...... I have seen a lot of people using big volume boats that look after them when they start out - so they don't learn how to control their boat - they don't need to - and when they move up to higher grades they really struggle! I've not paddled an Axiom - but it looks as if it has sharp enough edges to require you to learn boat control!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Tony Ireland

Post by Tony Ireland » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Id heard/been told that about larger volume boats. Guess Im gonna be swimming a bit more then😁🤙
Thanks

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Axiom is an awesome boat for starting out in and grade 3+. I am a bit shorter and lighter than you and have paddled one for the last 3 years, it has really helped me progress. Before that i had a D65 and breifly a big creek boat (which i hated) the Axiom is way more fun than both. Unless you plan on doing lots of grade 4 straight away then it will be spot on.

Also with the seat in the middle the tail doesn't really catch unless you want it to so dont let that bother you. The low volume rear opens up a lot more possibilities for boat control than a higher (rear)volume boat ever can.

Simon

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tony Ireland

Post by Tony Ireland » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:48 pm

Thanks Simon

countvoncount

Post by countvoncount » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 pm

The Pyranha Z-One is another great river-runner (and is a bit overlooked, in my opinion), less squirty than the Axiom but with a lower volume bow. Surfs great and has a surprising turn of speed. You could also look at something like the Loki, the Varun, or the Jackson Fun--all of which handle 3/3+ very well, and are a lot of fun. I think a Recon is too much of a creeker to provide what you are looking for.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”