Take care where your rescue knife is

Inland paddling
Chris Bolton

Take care where your rescue knife is

Post by Chris Bolton »

A recent legal appeal has upheld the conviction of somebody for carrying a butterfly knife in his car glovebox, despite his claim that he used it for work.
When considering the defence of “reasonable excuse” for carrying an offensive weapon, even if used for work, in the case of a weapon that was offensive per se, the court had to consider whether such use was reasonable in the circumstances pertaining at the time.
So make sure you only carry a knife in your BA when you're on or by the river, and don't leave it in your car between paddles.

The court report is here. The defendant's history may also have been a factor, as was the fact that a butterfly is regarded by legal precedent as a weapon. But the same might be said of some 'one handed' rescue knives.

TheEcho

Re: Take care where your rescue knife is

Post by TheEcho »

Interesting link, but this particular case isn’t too relevant to paddlers I think, as a butterfly knife is on a list of weapons such as flick knives and knuckledusters which are flat out illegal in the U.K. The appeal was whether he can actually carry such a banned knife with the defence that he uses it for work. Rescue knives are very definitely not on the banned list and are legitimately sold in shops.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

weapons such as flick knives and knuckledusters which are flat out illegal in the U.K.
The Offensive Weapons Bill 2019, passed by Parliament and now waiting for Royal Assent, redefines what a flick knife is, and could (depending how the courts interpret it) include several types of 'one handed' knives carried by paddlers:
Amendments to the definition of “flick knife”

(1) In section 1 of the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 (penalties for
offences in connection with dangerous weapons), in subsection (1), for
paragraph (a) substitute—

“(a) any knife which has a blade which opens automatically—

(i) from the closed position to the fully opened position, or

(ii) from a partially opened position to the fully opened position,

by manual pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the knife

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Our "manually opened" lock knives are fine (as long as they're less than 3" blade), as are our 1 piece river knives.

As an angler, I've carried a filleting knife in my tackle box in the past.

It's all about context - you'd be hard put to justify having any knife in your back pocket when down the pub or shopping, I personally wouldn't keep one in the car either - I have an entire toolkit under the seat - I can't envisage any situation in which I'd keep a butterfly knife in the glove box.....

A knife that's attached to your BA, in the boot with all your paddling kit & a boat on the roof however......

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”