30 day license, but... insurance

Inland paddling
Julii B

30 day license, but... insurance

Post by Julii B » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am

Hi,

I hope everyone is out in the sun which means I'll get no replies, but heyho, I understand priorities.
I got an inflatable kayak few months ago, only plan to paddle around north Norfolk, maybe Suffolk. Every time I take the kayak out I expect it to be punctured but 4 trips so far, so good.

I was thinking about going below the navigable heads of rivers which means licensing.
The unpowered 30 day explorer license from canalrivertrust looks perfect,£37.50, or maybe just the day license scheme (£5 a day), except...

Insurance details are mandatory on the application. My questions are:

A) Is there any way to get a single or 30 day explorer license without insurance for my blow-up kayak? What kind of insurance are they expecting me to have? 3rd party liability?

B) if joining British Canoeing for a yr is cheaper than insurance+30 day explorer license & only way forward; is there any way to tell BC to not send me any brochures or paper advertising that isn't to do with licensing or nice rivers to go on? It will all go in the recycling bin unlooked at. I hate that.

C) Are refunds ever possible with these items? With my luck I'll get either the 30 day (£37) or the BC membership (£45) & inflatable boat will go POP! a day later.

D) I could go out on my friend's borrowed kayak (hard structure, with borrowed friend). Is the canaltrust license only good for a specific vehicle? What about the BC membership? Is BC membership ok for multiple vehicles or only one specifically registered? Is BC membership a more flexible licensing system?

Thanks -

PlymouthDamo

Re: 30 day license, but... insurance

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am

Julii B wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am
D) I could go out on my friend's borrowed kayak (hard structure, with borrowed friend). Is the canaltrust license only good for a specific vehicle? What about the BC membership? Is BC membership ok for multiple vehicles or only one specifically registered? Is BC membership a more flexible licensing system?
I used to do exactly what you're proposing - i.e. use an inflatable kayak on licensed waterways. I went down the (as then) BCU licence route, as an inflatable is such a handy item, that it was likely I would use it here and there throughout the year. The BCU license came as a sticker without any identifying details of the boat. As the sticker wasn't going to hang on to my inflatable for long, I instead laminated it at work and carried it on a lanyard. I was only once asked for it, and as soon as I went to get it, the guy deduced I was legit and told me not to worry about it.

So, unless things have changed since then (8 years ago) I'd say you'd be fine using your license with any kayak. Even if they did try and limit the license to a specific boat, it just wouldn't work as many boats don't have any identifying markings and occasionally get resprayed with new decals etc. If you're using a hard boat, you might 'discover' that it's been treated with some sort of waxy coating which means the BCU sticker won't stay on, which is why you carry it in a dry-bag instead.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 am

British canoeing just send you a membership card to carry with you now, it covers you for other waterways beyond canals & rivers trust, but not all that require licencing. Their magazine is online.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 pm

The BC licence covers you, whatever you're paddling. So long as it's paddle propelled it's within the scope. You also get third party insurance included in the membership. I've just renewed mine and they sent me cardboard envelope 9" x 4" with a membership (licence) card and 3 bits of paper the same size as the envelope. Everything else is online, you don't get sent any paper during the year.

If your inflatable gets punctured, put a dab of Aquasure (from eBay) on the hole and leave it to cure overnight.

Julii B

Post by Julii B » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:44 pm

thanks for replies!

I just found out about the Norfolk Broads toll system. Seems like I could pay £28 to get access to the entire Broads area between now & end March 2020. Which seems like a pretty good deal to me. Any comments on my great or terrible plan?

I work long hours & don't travel much. Tend to only do 2-3 hour stints on the puff-boat every other weekend, so chances I would want to try to kayak further away from Nk-Suffolk Broads are very low.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boa ... nnual-toll

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Says £34.72 at bottom for canoes or kayaks - better put a cabin on it for the cheapest price!
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Julii B

Post by Julii B » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:25 pm

yup, right you are! I hadn't seen that at bottom. Ho hum.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”