Expression 11 / Dagger Katana - Suitable for tall paddler?

Inland paddling
Jonny Hightower

Expression 11 / Dagger Katana - Suitable for tall paddler?

Post by Jonny Hightower » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm looking to get a kayak that's shorter and easier to transport than my sea kayak (P&H Scorpio). The trouble is, at 6' 5" (relatively slim though, 94Kg) it can be problematic getting a kayak that fits. I had to modify the footpeg rail on my Scorpio, moving it forward 3 inches so I could get some adjustment. The result is a beautifully comfortable kayak, but the thought of the strain on my back getting it out of storage means that I don't get it out that much. That, the unreliable weather and the drama of getting a group of people together for a sea paddle at the same time means that I'm not paddling much outside the weekly pool sessions.

My aim is to get another kayak I can take out onto canals, rivers and lakes, and not to be put off by the thought of getting it on and off the car. Apart from the weekly pool sessions (the club boats are kept at the pool side), I want to get out at least once a week, the idea being that this should keep me better conditioned and help improve my boat handling skills between sea paddles. I'm looking at a Perception Expression 11 or the Dagger Katana, but leaning towards the Perception purely because it weighs 4Kg less. Any taller paddlers here with any experience of these?

Strad

Re: Expression 11 / Dagger Katana - Suitable for tall paddler?

Post by Strad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Expression will be better for longer paddles, katana better all round boat. I fit okay in large version of both (6'4" 19 st). Also consider the Pyranha fusion as similar to the katana.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Jonny Hightower

Post by Jonny Hightower » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks Strad. Hadn't thought of the Pyranha - will look into it. Cheers!

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:24 pm

Have a friend with 34/35 inch inside leg, size 11 shoes and around 85kgs who paddles a Katana, and has paddled a medium Fusion too.
Says both are the most comfortable boats he has paddled, this is after 10 mile sessions on rivers.
Gary Mascall

Sam Sandwich

Post by Sam Sandwich » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 am

I have a Dagger katana and they are a worthy boat to consider. There are 3 in the crossover category worthy of consideration. The katana, the fusion and the Wavesport ethos. Id try out those three but make sure you get the larger size of boat!
To see a world in a grain of sand

Jonny Hightower

Post by Jonny Hightower » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:36 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. In the end, I bought a Katana 10.4 in excellent condition from eBay. Picked it up Monday evening, spent Tuesday evening
on my lawn with it, adjusting it to suit me, and tried it in a pool session last night. I absolutely love it so far. It's got plenty of room (there are still two holes of adjustment left on the foot plate rails!), it's really comfortable, nicely outfitted, feels nice and quick on the water and is unbelievably stable. You can edge it to about 55 degrees before it even begins to want to fall over, but it does edge easily, so you can paddle along on an edge for ages. It's also comfortable to roll, and it's so much easier to get on and off the car than my Scorpio is. Before buying it I also tried a Large Pyranha Burn 2 at my club: that was comfortable for my size too, but obviously not a crossover (no hatch or skeg) so I didn't really want one. As I say, extremely happy with the Katana so far. Cheers!

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:40 am

Hi,

I’m interested in the Katana River version in red. Don’t see many secondhand though. Are you still enjoying yours?

Cheers

Jonny Hightower

Post by Jonny Hightower » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi Maverick777

Sorry - I only just saw your question. Yes, I'm still enjoying it very much. It's great fun in surf, and generally a brilliant all-rounder. Easy to get on and off the car too.

Cheers,
Jon

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”