River Perth - New Zealand

Inland paddling
Patrick Clissold

River Perth - New Zealand

Post by Patrick Clissold » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:31 pm

I'm actually back in Wales looking at some very low and cold rivers over Christmas, however back at home in NZ the season is very much producing the goods. This is a short video from the river Perth on the West Coast. One of the more involved rivers I've done since moving over there, but one of the most stunning:

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Re: River Perth - New Zealand

Post by Mark Gawler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks for posting, I have fond memories of paddling the West Cost 10+ years ago. Looking at the video reminds me my choice of boat back then was sub-optimal (Pyranha I3), which did mean I portaged at least one drop.
Mark Gawler

Myles

Post by Myles » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:49 am

Nice video, looks like a great river! I'm off to NZ in Feb for 3 weeks, honeymoon, but I've booked us in for rafting on the Whataroa (as other half doesn't kayak and I will have no gear). That looks to be in the same area at the Perth river so should be great scenery if your video is anything to go by.

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 am

Excellent place to go for a honeymoon! The Perth is the next valley from the Whateroa and one flows into the other. The West Coast is a breath taking spot in an already breath taking country. One word of warning, take bug spray, sand flies tend to be quite mean on that side of the mountains.

An I3 would definitely make it more interesting but people were harder back then!

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:23 am

Myles if you're on the West Coast you should also do this up near Greymouth, it's great fun, I've done it twice with two different GFs ha ha (one of them at least is now my wife!!) https://caverafting.com/underworld-rafting/

EDIT just seen this works out at nearly £100pp. I guess that's just the price of things out there at the moment with exchange rates. For comparison the Shotover Jet is £82 for about 15 minutes. Personally having done most of the jet boat rides in NZ my favourite is the Rapids Jet near Huka Falls at £68 (NB not the 'Huka Jet'), as you get to go up and down big-volume grade 3/4 rapids, including Full James where they once hosted the worlds freestyle. Shotover Jet is the most well known but it's quite short and, although you go close to the gorge walls, there aren't any rapids as such.

Whataroa rafting will be great.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

The Chuckster

Post by The Chuckster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Whataroa is a great river, it joins the Perth, have an awesome time!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”