Spanish Pyrenees Camping?

Inland paddling
boosh

Spanish Pyrenees Camping?

Post by boosh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 am

Hi

Looking for any info people have on the best campsites to use as a boater for the Spanish Pyrenees.
A few of us are heading out there early July so I am guessing the Noguera Pallaresa will be the only thing running that time of year.

The campsite at Sort look good - right by the river with the slalom site just down stream to use up the last of the energy.
Just thought I would ask in case someone has a little known gem of a campsite site they have used.

Thanks
Pete

Andy Hall

Re: Spanish Pyrenees Camping?

Post by Andy Hall » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:23 pm

We stayed at the campsite in Sort a couple of years ago.
Definitely recommend it. Good facilities, run by very friendly people, and ideal location for the river.

Cheers
Andy

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 am

We did a weekend trip good few years ago, maybe 10 ?, we joined up with the Pau kayak club at Camping Riberies, not luxurious but was good.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Another vote for http://noguera-pallaresa.com/ as a place to camp.
Last time I was there was some 8-10 years ago, but hasn't changed much in the interim from what I could gather.

boosh

Post by boosh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.
We have booked at http://noguera-pallaresa.com/

Does anyone have any other recent info regarding the Noguera Pallaresa river (probably only thing to be running that time of year).
I have the WW Pyrenees guide book by Patrick Santal and Slime and the whole river gets about a paragraph! :)

Although there is some info on http://www.eauxvives.org/en/rivieres/vo ... -pallaresa it is quite old and some of the information is "lost in google translation"

"It is a part accessible to beginners provided to disembark to a dike in L little frequentable 1km before Llavorsi: not to engage in the channel of right: trap rats if the hatch is opened. You have to try to jump to the center in the hollow of the L, but bad blocks are waiting for you at the reception. "

I think I can get the gist tho :) The rest of the sections I can get a feel for via YouTube scouting.

Does anyone know if you need river passes like in Slovenia or if there are definite "no-no" parking spots or access points.
Looks fairly straight forward but having never been before don't want to annoy the locals.

Thanks again
Pete

Dougie Shannon

Post by Dougie Shannon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:06 pm

HI Pete

I'm out there 2 or 3 times per year for both personal paddling and coaching work. The valley is super kayak friendly, no permits needed no parking problems. Sort is the best place to stay. It's where the best bars restaurants are although there are others in nearby towns well worth visiting. The camp site you are staying at is 5 mins walk from town centre and can be used for put ins and take outs depending on which stretch you are paddling. River varies from class 2 to class 4 depending on which section. The section known as the classic runs from llavorsi to Rialp. Starts of nice flowing class 2/3 with a rapid 10 mins in called the washing machine. It's on a blind left hand corner and is a bit steeper and bigger than the river has been up till then class 3/4. You can see where this is from the road as the rafting base run by RocRoi (a very friendly bunch) is there and you can inspect the rapid from their base. Steady class 3 for a while and then once you pass a large car park on the left (molleta) the river picks up and is good read and run 3/4 for the next few kilometres. Couple of holes to watch out for and a few moves to make, but no particular hazards. There are a few stings in the tail just as you think it has settled down, then runs into easy class 2 above rialp. You can continue beyond rialp to your campsite, but beware there is a significant weir in this section which requires caution. There were building works on this weir last year to complete a safe passage for rafts and kayaks (that's how friendly the place is), but wasn't complete when I was last there so I can't tell you any more. The local council were asking folks not to paddle that section while the work was being completed. There are loads of other section, but of special note is the gorge at Collegats. Not hard paddling, but spectacular scenery, don't miss out on a trip in that section.

Early July the river should still be running fairly continuously, but may have started releases. If so try and get some local info on when it's running. They release to suit the rafting/kayaking not power generation, so should be convenient, but if this is the case the water does not arrive further down the river until later in the day, possibly as late as 3:00pm at Gerri De la Sal.

World freestyle championships are being held in Sort first week of July, so may be very busy. I'll be there that week, so if we bump into each other mines a Clara (local term for shandy).

Have a great time.

bouncyboatbloke

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Not paddled the river, but have looked at it. In a supreme irony, I was in that area doing an event called the "Vince ". This like orienteering on motorcycles. The irony was one of the guys in my team was on the exact opposite journey to me! He was a coaching standard white water kayaker, but had recently discovered two wheeled action, whereas, I after having done most dirty things on two wheels had recently discovered white water kayaking.
We stood in Geri Lasall [ from memory] looking over the wall at the slalom course, and rapids. I asked his opinion his comment was, "tasty, very tasty ".
We stayed at a hotel just down the road from the riverside chalets, but a year or so earlier some of the guys had stayed at the chalets and also commented on how good it had been.
Have fun.
Mike

boosh

Post by boosh » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 pm

Dougie Shannon wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:06 pm
I'll be there that week, so if we bump into each other mines a Clara (local term for shandy).

Have a great time.
Cheers for this Dougie - great info.
Will be getting there on the 6th (Sat) so might just catch the tail end of the Worlds Champs / busyness. Feel free to pop down to the campsite at Sort and have a beer with us. Either that or we might catch you on the river. I think I will recognize you from your WWSR dvd (which is my reason for wanting to paddle here as the water looked ace on the video)

Cheers
Pete

AWetState

Post by AWetState » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:40 am

I posted a bunch of info on the Pyrenees on www.awetstate.com... also, on the map section of the site, I marked the campsites we used last year. In case any of that helps.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”