Club administration software

Inland paddling
Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:26 am

Looking into club administration software for a club as the amount of club paperwork and computer duplication is a bit excessive.

Is anyone using any of the club administration software packages at the moment (eg Webcollect, Myclubhouse, gomembership)? Any others out there we should consider?

How / Why did you choose that platform and how are you finding it? Does it improve your life as much as the marketing would have us believe?

Cheers

Chris Bolton

Re: Club administration software

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 am

My club uses webcollect. I haven't been involved in managing it, but as a club member it's not very easy to use, so my guess is that configuring it properly is not intuitive.

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:07 pm

1) get online community bank account which allows several users, (i.e. some committee members), to view statements/transactions. Only the Treasurer needs to have ability to make payments. You may need to update your club constitution if it still mentions two signaturies on cheques.

2) Second use google sheets, (i.e. spreadsheet) which is free to use, and free from adverts, , which can be tailored to your club's needs. It will also be flexible and changeable in the future. I have one that is effectively a complete club management system, (i.e. membership, inventory, accounts, payments, attendances, member balances etc). You can download bank transactions and upload into the sheet, (if you have a lot of transactions otherwise just type them in). It can be shared with others, (view or edit as required). Most people who work in offices have spreadsheet skills. So passing the system on to new committee members in the future should not be a problem. Google forms is also good for simple to create online membership forms. Payments of membership fees can be checked via bank account.

Alternatively you could purchase a club management system such as webcollect. However it will be inflexible (i.e. you cannot change the software to tailor it to your needs), involve annual costs, and your members will probably incur costs when making payments , (e.g. paypal). It will also take time to become familiar with the system. If your committee changes frequently then this could be a problem.

The choice is yours.

G7AFM

Post by G7AFM » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:55 pm

PaddyW wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:07 pm
1) get online community bank account which allows several users, (i.e. some committee members), to view statements/transactions. Only the Treasurer needs to have ability to make payments. You may need to update your club constitution if it still mentions two signaturies on cheques.

2) Second use google sheets, (i.e. spreadsheet) which is free to use, and free from adverts, , which can be tailored to your club's needs. It will also be flexible and changeable in the future. I have one that is effectively a complete club management system, (i.e. membership, inventory, accounts, payments, attendances, member balances etc). You can download bank transactions and upload into the sheet, (if you have a lot of transactions otherwise just type them in). It can be shared with others, (view or edit as required). Most people who work in offices have spreadsheet skills. So passing the system on to new committee members in the future should not be a problem. Google forms is also good for simple to create online membership forms. Payments of membership fees can be checked via bank account.

Alternatively you could purchase a club management system such as webcollect. However it will be inflexible (i.e. you cannot change the software to tailor it to your needs), involve annual costs, and your members will probably incur costs when making payments , (e.g. paypal). It will also take time to become familiar with the system. If your committee changes frequently then this could be a problem.

The choice is yours.
Probably the best advice you will get.

take a look here.

https://zapier.com/learn/google-sheets/ ... gle-forms/

John K

Post by John K » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:01 am

My club uses WebCollect and it works well for us.

We have it set up for booking onto pool sessions and club trips as well as for membership. Most of our payments are by bank transfer which don’t have any charges, although we do accept PayPal as well for convenience.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Membermojo is worth looking att for membership renewals/joining etc.

kkjfd

Post by kkjfd » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:06 pm

We use webcollect. Plenty of plus's - easy to extract details for annual return to BC, flexible to setup different membership classes, pro-rates membership part year (if you want to), sends automatic membership reminders, can easily bulk email etc. etc. Was easy to change to add in new BC coaching and personal performance qualifications.

All our new members have come through that route although some existing members don't find it that easy to use. We use the bank transfer for payment although plenty still pay cash, easy enough to reconcile.

Always found the support to be very good.

It does cost though, not hugely expensive but if you take the additional cost to integrate directly into a website (which in our case meant additional web costs too) then it can add up - depends on the size of your membership and funds to see if that's worth it.

We'll be reviewing to see if a simpler setup can meet our needs, partly because of end user usability/friendliness but also with more members communicating through social media we're questioning the benefits of the club website (Vs something like Facebook) which would limit the benefits of webcollect somewhat if we change.

No direct experience of membermojo (only found it after we went with webcollect) but it looked pretty comprehensive.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:42 pm

we're questioning the benefits of the club website (Vs something like Facebook)
My club have done the same. Every event is organised on Facebook and the club website is rarely maintained. I think it's a bad move; it excludes people who don't use Facebook (including a lot of younger people now). I suspect more people will be dropping their Facebook accounts as more privacy breaches are revealed, and club websites will be needed again.

kkjfd

Post by kkjfd » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 am

Chris Bolton wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:42 pm
we're questioning the benefits of the club website (Vs something like Facebook)
My club have done the same. Every event is organised on Facebook and the club website is rarely maintained. I think it's a bad move; it excludes people who don't use Facebook (including a lot of younger people now). I suspect more people will be dropping their Facebook accounts as more privacy breaches are revealed, and club websites will be needed again.
Thanks Chris, useful to have some feedback on that route. It's going to be a bit of a balancing act to get the right combination of technology that works for the club admin (membership, communication to members, club "shop window" etc.) and the members (privacy, ease of use, etc.)

Kevin

John K

Post by John K » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:16 am

We have a basic web site but all the day to day stuff runs on a Facebook group.

Quite a lot of us only use Facebook for paddling-related stuff and that seems to work OK even for people who don’t “do” Facebook (as far as I know we only have one determined refusenik).

Membership and trip signup is all done on WebCollect.

Like you say, it’s a bit of a balancing act. This arrangement is not quite as slick as I’d like but works pretty well for us at the moment.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”