Spraydecks & Macno's

Inland paddling
Frank B

Spraydecks & Macno's

Post by Frank B » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm

I recently bought a medium Machno and a big deck Playboater spraydeck

I ve tried allsorts to get the deck to fit, its been on the boat for 3 weeks + in the garage, its to been taken off &wettedr from time to time and I have tried to stretch it using my trailer as an anchor. First time I tried to use it on a trip today I needed help to get it on and at the end of the trip I tried to remove and refit it with no success.

Which decks do Machno owneres use ? any other suggestions as to how to "relax" my deck ? are big Playboater decks not very big ?

Thanks in advance

**paul**

Re: Spraydecks & Macno's

Post by **paul** » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 pm

I use a Peak Whitewater deck. Took a long time to even get it on, almost gave up and went for another. I did the usual things, warm water, leaving the deck on for days. I hung a 12kg kettlebell from the loop for days too. I can now get it on the boat, mostly unassisted. If it hasn’t had a chance to soak it’s very difficult.

boosh

Post by boosh » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 am

IR Klingon Bungee
SkirtFit.com will give you the right size to get.
Fantastic deck all round - Easy to put on and seals well.
Been great for the 6 years I have owned it and with the odd coat of fabsil once a year still totally dry.
Pete

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am

"Bigdeck" is quite an old size, I think modern cockpits are a lot bigger.
You can buy a Pyranha branded deck which should fit, or just ask your local kayak shop for the right size. I don't have a local kayak shop any more* so I ended up buying Desperate Measures own brand deck for my Burn which was larger than a "bigdeck" from any of my older boats, I think I emailed first to check what size I needed. If you can get to a shop, take your boat, I've never known any not let you check things like that for yourself.

*unless a new one has opened up that I don't know about

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:03 pm

I use a Playboater 'big deck' and it's fine! Few years older than the boat though ;)

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:44 am

I had a real game trying to find a deck to fit my Machno too.
I tried an IR deck (rand deck - don't know which model but it was their largest size)- had it stretched over the cockpit for 3 weeks, took it off and couldn't get it back on without 2 of us and a lot of struggling. In the end I sent it back and had a refund.
I bought a Pyranha Deck - that fits - just. Not a brilliant fit - it looks like the cockpit size is bigger than the deck was designed to fit.
The best deck I found to fit was a Seals Rand size 2.2. this does fit the best.

It would be nicer if the Pyranha cockpit sizes were a little more standardised. It does get frustrating when you need different decks to fit different boats in their fleet.
Ian

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

The large Machno is pretty big.

Have a look at the IR Klingon in an XL cockpit - https://immersionresearch.eu/store/spra ... ray-skirt/.
Much stretchier than the rand models (and most people do not need a rand) and super high performance.

I can fit the L cockpit klingon on a medium machno, medium ripper, 9R, 12R. I'm certain the XL cockpit one would get on a L Machno.

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I've got an XL IR lucky charm rand. Fits fine on medium Machno and also large Ripper. The large Ripper has a massive cockpit, it still fits but you need to Schwarzenegger .

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Frank B

Post by Frank B » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 am

Sorted now thanks, sold the old (new) deck and bought a supersize playboater deck>

Thanks for all the suggestions

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”