River Derwent

Inland paddling
Clandestine

River Derwent

Post by Clandestine » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:53 pm

I have the pleasure of holidaying next week at Matlock and as it happens I have two lovely playboats for my daughter and I that I am going to bring with us.

The problem is that we have only done sea and coastal river kayaking so have never needed helmets.

I think it would be irresponsible of me to paddle down river Derwent with them.

Where can I hire some from?

I have dreams of getting up at 6am for an early morning paddle down the river! It’s very exciting.

YorkieDave

Re: River Derwent

Post by YorkieDave » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Clandestine wrote:I have the pleasure of holidaying next week at Matlock and as it happens I have two lovely playboats for my daughter and I that I am going to bring with us.

The problem is that we have only done sea and coastal river kayaking so have never needed helmets.

I think it would be irresponsible of me to paddle down river Derwent with them.

Where can I hire some from?

I have dreams of getting up at 6am for an early morning paddle down the river! It’s very exciting.
Try the Peak shop at Darley Dale just up The road but I don't think you can hire them, don't think it would be wise to either. Darley Dale down to Matlock is a nice pretty flat paddle but likely to be low water at this time of year.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Clandestine

Post by Clandestine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:31 am

Ah you mean that the river isn’t deep enough.

Well okay that makes me feel a whole lot better about the situation.

It’s one thing standing by a wonderful river wanting to kayak but knowing you don’t have the right gear but standing by a wonderful river wanting to kayak but foiled by nature is just life...I can handle that.

Thanks for the reply.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 am

No river is consistently deep, it's sort of in their nature that there will be a deep bit, then a shallow bit, then a deep bit and so on.
The shallow bits are where the rapids form and the river gets a bit more interesting so they're also the bits where you're more likely to get caught out and capsize. At which point your bonce is bouncing along the bottom, which is strewn with boulders.

There is a club based in Matlock, and there are a couple of organisations who take rafts down from Darley Dale - you could track them down on t'internet and see if they'd lend you a couple of lids. Don't know how likely that is, but couldn't hurt to ask. Or you could call in to Decathlon or similar and pick up a couple of cheap skateboarding helmets, they'd do fine for what you want.

Clandestine

Post by Clandestine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks Sean, as it happens I decided after the last post to leave my Dagger at home. I did bring my shortie and spray deck with me just in case the opportunity presented itself.

I will have to come back at another time when there’s been a little more rain and therefore more consistency in the depth.

The skateboard helmet is an interesting idea, didn’t think about that but I’m over 40 now and currently I’ve never done white water so buying helmets now seems too much.

I’ve done surfing - what a rush that is - but I don’t see that much white-water kayaking in my life.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am

The Derwent is very low at the moment, but still perfectly paddleable.
Expect flat water most of the way with a few scrapey bits at the current level. The "rapids" are pretty non existent at this level(about 0.38 on the online guage). If it fell to 0.3 on the guage it would be very scrapey in places.

As othershave said get some cheap helmets sorted and have a lovely paddle.

Peak uk are very close to one of the put ins for a longer run,(but not open at weekends) i think their cheapest helmet is around £40 but as its a kayaking specific one you can use them for any other adventures you go on in the future.
Im sure they would be happy to offer advice also so worth a visit.

Enjoy your hols!

Clandestine

Post by Clandestine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:12 am

Nooo....perfectly pad-able not the kind of thing I want to hear right now half way up the M1.

I will definitely have to come back!

Rae1

Post by Rae1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, 2, maybe 3 years ago we did it a few times over the summer at 0.28 on the Matlock guage (online). No drops etc, but perfect water for beginners to WW.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”