A few beginner questions

Inland paddling
Seamer

A few beginner questions

Post by Seamer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I've just bought myself a kayak to get me started, it's an older palm falchion 385 so very basic.

I've done a bit of research and ordered all the kit, air bags as it has no bulkhead, a hand pump and a PFD etc.

Before I go and chuck it in the water, is there anything I need to know about river access in general or is it all specific to where I want to use it?

I'll be using it mainly on the river tees, on the calm stretch between the tees barrage and yarm, with the odd trip to the lakes where I've paddled on rented gear before.

If anyone uses this stretch of river and has any more information about where to launch, what permissions or fees need paying etc, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Ian Dallaway

Re: A few beginner questions

Post by Ian Dallaway » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Seamer,
the best advice I can give you is to get in touch with your local canoe club (and maybe even join them...).
From memory, Stockton and Thornaby Canoe Club are based by you. Have a look at https://www.stocktonthornabycanoeclub.co.uk/

Happy Paddling
Ian
Ian

Seamer

Post by Seamer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 pm

I had a quick look down at the Tees barrage today to see about access for the slipway, looks really accessible, the possible put in at preston park is a good one but means carrying the kayak all the way down to the river past the play park. Couldn't see any access in Yarm from the Wharf but I didn't look for long I'm sure there will be somewhere to put in.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm

You WILL capsize ...sooner or later.

Do not paddle on your own without the ability to perform either a reliable roll or a self rescue. If you capsize you’d be left with a swim as your only option and if you get cold shock at the same time, and panic, you’re going to have a bad day, and potentially no more more days.

It happens all too often.

Can you really sort yourself out on your own in the middle of the river with a flooded kayak whilst keeping a hold of your paddle ?

Get some instruction, even if it’s just one star so you have basic handling skills and can assess the conditions a bit better.

Don’t cut corners with your personal safety.
Be prepared for worst case scenario, especially if you are on your own.

Here Endeth the sermon given by many others at many times, to many new paddlers.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”