Zet Five

Inland paddling
murray

Zet Five

Post by murray » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Has anyone paddled a Zet Five? I sat in one at the weekend in a shop and it felt an incredibly good fit. I am a Raptor paddler but the hull seems quite different. I am also an intermediate so would not be using it for racing. planning to have it for a demo in a couple of weeks at lee valley as well as the Torro.

SimonMW

Re: Zet Five

Post by SimonMW » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

I say all of this with the cheat that one persons great boat is another hateful boat!

With that said, I tried the Five with a potential mind to replacing my Veloc with one. Sitting in the Five on land felt like a great fit. However once I got on the water it was a different story. Even though the Five is smaller than the Toro, it felt bigger on the water. Strangely, even though the Toro is much larger than my Veloc, it actually felt like I was paddling the same boat! I couldn't say that about the Five. The Five felt much more like the Raptor. I also felt the the Toro had much more glide to it.

Maybe I need to spend much more time with the Five, but for the time I demoed it at CIWW it didn't set my world alight. It didn't give me that "I must own one of these" feelings that I had when I first tried a Veloc or when I tried the Toro.

But without trying one you'll never know whether it truly suits you. You might well love it.

murray

Post by murray » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 pm

that is more hopeful than I expected I was assuming that the Five was firmly aimed at the hard core rather than the recreational paddler. I really like my Raptor both for the fit and the feel on the water, but I have never been in a Veloc so can not comment. going to give it a go anyway and what happens happens.

countvoncount

Post by countvoncount » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:17 pm

This may be too late to be useful, but I demoed the ZET Five yesterday and thought it was a really great boat. It's fast, very maneuverable, the nose rides very high and yet is so narrow that you feel like you can "thread" it into eddies. I also liked the fact that at 300 litres it did not feel like a big boat at all--I hate the feeling of paddling a tub and this felt sporty and agile. The length means that one has to be pretty precise about boat positioning and angles and I suppose if you are used to a very flat bottom them initial impression may be that the boat is not as stable as some (the secondary stability is such that I really don't think this is much of a problem, and the slightly rounder bottom makes for smoother edge transitions). The edges are very soft but you can put the boat right over (at which point the parting line functions like an edge, and the boat carves)--some paddlers might take a while to adjust to this. I suspect the boat's seating position will particularly suit tall-ish, skinnyish people (i.e. if you are six foot but not very heavy for that height).
In short, it's probably the best creeker I have paddled, lots of fun without being hard to paddle. It also was very light and easy to carry.
Hope this helps. In case you are wondering, I am far too crappy a paddler to be sponsored by anyone.

marcwel0

Post by marcwel0 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks Mr CountVonCount. The new Zet has been out for 7 months and I still cant find any on-line reviews about it apart from your comments or the odd comment like "sat in a Zet Five, wasn't too comfortable..." etc which is hardly much use. Not sure why this is as normally new boats get tested and reviewed pretty soon after they are released don't they?

countvoncount

Post by countvoncount » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:57 pm

My guess is that professional reviews depend on companies paying for them, one way or another--through sponsorship, by providing trade magazines with a free boat to test, etc. So it depends a little bit on how much of a budget they have for this kind of stuff (and for promotional work more generally) and where they are based.

The thing about Zet is that they are Czech and their primary market will be closer to home (i.e. Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Alps). There are certainly a whole bunch of videos of Czech paddlers doing crazy stuff in the Five, whilst the boat remains more or less an unknown over here.

As I said above, I was really impressed by the boat. I find many of the new 320+ litre creek boats simply too large for my tastes, and was also not immediately convinced by the 9 foot boat trend (9 foot are a lot of boat to throw around), but the Five really is a fun, sporty ride--whilst also having the kind of hull profile that will work on steep, manky stuff. The seating position will be divisive, I suspect. I loved it, but it is quite different from many other boats. My guess is you will be able to tell whether or not you like the boat just by sitting in it...

Time67

Post by Time67 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:31 pm

I wondered if anybody has used the foam bulkhead outfitting as opposed to the adjustable foot braces? Evidently it keeps the boats drier and lighter.

I just tried the Toro and thought one of the best boats I've paddled and looking to try the Five this weekend. I'm your basic Class III paddler. The Five looks like a boat that would work as I like to really work the eddies. Found the Toro incredibly easy to roll. Thanks everyone for posting information on these boats.

The Raptor is on my list to demo too, so any thoughts/suggestions appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Lewisthewhippet1

Post by Lewisthewhippet1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:09 am

From experience if you like the toro then you won’t like the raptor, I’ve tried both and the toro is a faster more forgiven boat using new designs and shape with lots more rocket. I have a zet five and love it. It is narrower than the toro making it faster to switch edges. All in all the five is a brilliant boat and very fast. A boat that needs to be driven with aggressive paddling style. Both toto and five are very similar in characteristics. I would worry more about your height as to which boat you choose.