Gloves!

Inland paddling
scottdog007

Gloves!

Post by scottdog007 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 am

Generally I don’t need to use gloves, probably from my days of hard motorcycling in very cold weather. But some years ago I bought a fabulous pair not expensive and they were brilliant. They were so good at times I had to take them off because my fingers were burning.

Now I lost one glove and bought a pair of the latest gloves which are rubbish. Actually more than rubbish as they seem to hold the cold in and my hands get painfully cold, it is like they conduct the heat away from the hands. So last week I paddled with old glove on one hand and the new all singing latest material on the other hand. Gee I’m throwing away the newest gloves.

Now I have lost all info on what make the old gloves were and cannot find pictures of them if I do a google search.

What make, style do people recommend?

Cheers

Chalky723

Re: Gloves!

Post by Chalky723 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 am

Pogies.

Tried all sorts of gloves & never got on with them - whereas my IR Pogies are awesome.

The opening is stiffened so you can get your hands in & out quickly.

There's something satisfying about pulling your hand out & watching it steam in the cold air while your mates are blowing on theirs....
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 pm

I've found pogies work miraculously well in the sea. Mine are a really basic design and aren't particularly watertight, so often flush through with water when I submerge the paddle to roll or turn. However, this makes no difference - your hands remain absolutely fine.

But sea temperatures around the UK don't drop that low - perhaps 6 degrees minimum? Rivers get a lot colder, so having water flush through your pogies might be a different matter. I'd therefore recommend you try and borrow a bottom-of-the-range set to try them out in a cold river. If they aren't good enough, you'd be looking at either combining them with gloves or getting a posher pair of pogies which have a better seal around your wrists and the paddle to prevent flushing. Either way might be a bit tricky to put on though.

Gloves-wise, my main experience is with UK diving in winter. The only thing I've found that truly works is dry-gloves, but this isn't an option with a kayaking drysuit. The next best thing were 7mm thick neoprene mittens - but I think they'd be horribly clumsy for paddling in.

acostamorte

Post by acostamorte » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:07 pm

I reckon I have 10 or more pairs of different gloves that I've acquired over the years in search of the perfect glove. They all failed apart from one which naturally had to be the most expensive.

The NRS Maverick keeps your hands dry, has a strong grip and is thin enough to wrap around the paddle.

https://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/cano ... verick.htm

The other one I sometimes use is a fishing glove, the Snowbee. Your hands get wet because its a thin neoprene but they act like a wetsuit and preserve heat. Problem is the grip is not very good. I stuck rubber dots on mine and it helps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snowbee-SFT- ... SderuDzq9g

SPL

Post by SPL » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 am

I once used marigolds (washing up gloves) during a trip to Scotland and they were awesome, thin, warm, grippy and cheap.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:01 pm

I admit most gloves make the paddle slippery, but if you wax the paddle they are super grippy. Which sounds strange as the same wax is used on skis especially to make them slip smoother.

John K

Post by John K » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 pm

I don't like wearing gloves for paddling, and to be fair I don't often need them.

I do carry a pair of Suzys Sweat Shop Marathon porgies though for those extra cold days. They are easy to get your hands into and really make a difference. They are thin so take up minimal space in a BA pocket when they're not needed.
http://www.suzysweatshop.com/index.php? ... egory_id=2

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 am

scottdog007 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:01 pm
I admit most gloves make the paddle slippery, but if you wax the paddle they are super grippy. Which sounds strange as the same wax is used on skis especially to make them slip smoother.
It's the scraping of the wax that makes skis slippy; if you don't scrape them they will practically stick to the snow....

I used Lomo Neoprene/Amara gloves, normally they last about a year.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 am

I also recommend pogies, I've not had good results with gloves, possibly because I have only used cheap and rather thin neoprene gloves, but I found that my hands still got very cold whereas pogies solve the problem while not interfering with your grip and "feel" on the paddle. I recommend any neoprene pogies that aren't too long. The neoprene obviously adds a bit of insulation, but more importantly is stiff enough to hold its shape while you slide your hands in, but the longer ones are still difficult to use. The Peak ones try to strike a balance between being short enough to be easy to use and long enough to keep your wrists warm, but I would forgo warm wrists just to get my hands in quickly and easily, particularly on white water where you are sometimes getting back on in the middle of a rapid and you don't want to be faffing about sorting your pogies out when you should be concentrating on getting your boat positioned. So I would say go for the short Yak or Palm neoprene pogies or similar.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Palmless mitts, the only answer...
http://palmequipmenteurope.com/product/talon

No restriction getting them on/off quickly (cf. pogies).
Good shaft grip (cf. full-gloves).
Easy to take off (peel back) if you need the full bare-back experience and enhanced grip for particularly terrifying rapids.
Keep your wrists warm.
Even provide sun protection for high altitude himalayan boating(!)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Another vote for Palm palmless mitts for all the reason Poke says

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:41 pm

SPL wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 am
I once used marigolds (washing up gloves) during a trip to Scotland and they were awesome, thin, warm, grippy and cheap.
I found where most gloves tend to feel slippery on the shaft, I had the opposite experience with marigolds - too much grip on the shaft!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 pm

I use Palm gloves, the current version of which seems to be the Throttle (strange name!). I like to be able to take a hand off the paddle quickly, and use my fingers, so am not keen on pogies or palmless mitts. I don't find any problem with grip, but perhaps using zero feather reduces the need for it.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”