Alps trip with caravan and wife

Inland paddling
Dr Robin

Alps trip with caravan and wife

Post by Dr Robin »

Hi, I'm thinking of going to the Alps in August with my wife and caravan. I would like to
1) Minimise driving
2) Avoid big passes
3) Find some lesser-known rivers (I have paddled a lot in the classic areas.)
4) Find some romantic walks for the wife.

Flicking through the guidebook, I was attracted to the Bernese Alps. Is this area good? The fact that I don't know it concerns me, there must be a reason more people don't go there..?

Any other suggestions for destinations?

Thanks, Robin.

Chas C

Re: Alps trip with caravan and wife

Post by Chas C »

brunolb

Post by brunolb »

Bernese Alps is a nice area although the weather is a bit unpredictable. In August, you only find guaranteed water on the glacier fed rivers: Weisse and Schwarze Luchine, Kiene, Kander and Upper Aare, all worth it. A special tip is a hiking tour in the valley of the Upper Kander, very Norwegian feeling. We always stayed on campsite in Frutigen, quite central for the area.

Best,

Bruno

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin »

brunolb wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:34 pm
Bernese Alps is a nice area although the weather is a bit unpredictable. In August, you only find guaranteed water on the glacier fed rivers: Weisse and Schwarze Luchine, Kiene, Kander and Upper Aare, all worth it. A special tip is a hiking tour in the valley of the Upper Kander, very Norwegian feeling. We always stayed on campsite in Frutigen, quite central for the area.

Best,

Bruno
Thanks Bruno, great advice. Could you tell me more about the Kander and upper Aare? They're not in the guidebook.

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin »

All I can find about the Aare on 4-paddlers is

https://4-paddlers.com/gewaesser/abschn ... 01436.html
Einen tick leichter als der obere Abschnitt, jedoch teilweise klammartige Verengungen. Achtung auf Baumverhau. Nach der letzten Klamm bis zum Ausstieg einfacher - WW II.

Not very informative!

The description of the Kander is a bit longer, but still difficult to translate:

https://4-paddlers.com/gewaesser/abschn ... 01131.html
Da die Kander oberhalb der Einmündung der Simme durch gefährliche Wehrestark verbaut ist und dort zudem oft zuviel Wasser abgeleitet wird, erfolgt derStart einer Befahrung der Kanderschlucht üblicherweise auf der Simme unter-halb dem Stausee von Wimmis. Beide Flüsse werden deshalb für diesenAbschnitt gemeinsam beschrieben.Nach einem Kilometer folgt ein Blockwurf der Unfahrbar ist. Danach ein Schrägwehr, das evt. fahrbar ist. Danach geht es gemütlich richtung Kanderdurchbruch (II - III). Unterhalb der Autobahnbrücke befindet sich ein Wehr, die gefährlichen Metallträger wurden herausgenommen, eine Befahrung sollte jetzt möglich sein. Danach geht es leicht verblockt (III) richtung Schluchteingang. Die Schlucht sollte unbedingt auf der RECHTEN Seite befahren werden. Einer sollte hinenfahrer, und anschauen. Links ist die ganze Felswand meterweit unterspült! Daselbe gilt knapp oberhalb der Schlucht für die recht Flussseite. Die Schlucht selber ist je nach Wasserstand WW III, bei mehr Wasser -IV. Nach der Schlucht paddelt man durch das Kanderdelta und fährt links noch ein Stück auf dem See bis in einen Hafen hinen.

Can anyone help?

hogboy

Post by hogboy »

Not sure the sections in 4-paddlers relate to the harder sectiosn on Kander and AAre

A really useful resource for rivers in Switzerland (and wider) is:

www.rivermap.ch

https://www.rivermap.ch/map.html#sprach ... ng=7.78525

this has water levels and on some river descriptions in the Hinweise section. It also has some extended info on the upper aare section which is a bit full on as well as updates on hazards (with the usual look before you leap guidance)

http://kanumagazin.de.dedi3435.your-ser ... ne-kander/

This has more info but still needs google translate.

I live 90 mins away so happy to advise on levels updates closer to the time or even paddle.....Grades vary massively with water

White lutschine above 15cm3 is tasty

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin »

Hi Hogboy, thanks very much for the advice, I will have a good look through that information. I would be delighted to get in touch and hopefully paddle with you. I'll pm you my e-mail address. The plan is to be in the Alps from the 30th of July until the 17th of August.

brunolb

Post by brunolb »

There is more info on this website:
http://www.alpin-kajak-team.ch/

For the Aare, the runnable section is from Guttannen to Innertkirchen. First part is quite open with a quite steep section, second part from small bridge on is more gorge-like. Depending on water levels, it may be good to do the gorge earlier in the day and the upper part later on. I recall we had a snow tunnel in July on the upper part a few years back, exciting!

For Kander: get in above Blausee for some technical paddling. 2 or 3km down, water from power plant adds substantially to the flow. There is one heavy cataract below the plant and otherwise mainly grade II-III.

Last time we took the train in Kandersteg for a quick blast on the Lonza. Water comes up very fast on this one so depending on weather, often best in the morning. Can make the Gyr look like en enjoyable bimble...

Have fun,

bruno

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin »

Many thanks Bruno. I actually did the Lonza myself last year, I was also very impressed!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”