Paddling into your thirties

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Re: Paddling into your thirties

Post by DaveBland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

SimonMW wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 pm
and stop obsessing about G4-5. Just have fun.
Whilst I agree with the general thrust of this, for some paddlers – especially ones who have been pushing hard - grade 3 and lower just aren't fun.
It depends on the motivation for paddling harder grades.
Now a fun day out in the sun, with the family on a bit of g2/3, or a few hours on an artificial course having a play is totally a fun time – but doesn't grab and excite in the way smashing some 4/5 does. If that's what you are into.
dave

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I agree Dave, but if you've been out of the game and are now swimming on G3 as the OP posted, then surely he needs to get back out on G2-3 and practice more and just have fun before he starts going on the higher grades again?

BoofandSwim

Post by BoofandSwim » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey, I didn't swim - I rolled thank you!

Yeah, Dave's right I think. G3 can definitely be made fun, especially in a playboat, but there's nothing quite like the excitement of looking at a rapid/feature that has a definitive line/requires a certain skill, psyching yourself up for it, then the feeling of reward once you've made it down (or, y'know, just generically boofed it and swum!).

It's true Simon - getting out and playing around on G2/3 is exactly what I need at the moment to get back into it.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 pm

I started paddling at 16 and am still paddling in my late 50's. It was an obsession with me, that has been central to my life, in that my circle of long term friends grew up around kayaking, and it is still very much at the core of who I am and what I do. I had a few years out in my early 30's due to a shoulder injury, but getting back on the water was my motivation to getting it sorted, which eventually happened courtesy of the NHS. It was hard to get back up to the previous level of fitness and confidence as well as rehabing at the same time, but worth it. If my paddling was getting stale I got into another branch of it, to give me a new challenge, such as OC1 and trying to do the same rivers I had kayaked before. I still paddle G4 and am happy to walk round things, and I accept that I am not willing to risk injury, as I take a lot longer to heal now. I used to feel less positive about not doing some rapids, but now tend to just enjoy the fact that I am out on a regular basis sharing the pleasure of what I do, in the company of similarly minded paddlers. I do enjoy the buzz of paddling G4, and sometimes a little more, but its all normally within my comfort zone, with just the occasional tip toe out of the zone.

Managing the mental game has been interesting as it does form a more evident barrier as I get older, and changing the format is working for me. I recently got back into kayak surfing and now get a buzz from dealing with big waves (for me) as I am more comfortable at pushing this as I feel that I can more readily deal with the consequences of a big wave messing with me, then getting worked in a stopper.
When I read the title of this thread my first reaction was to think whats the issue as I would be delighted to be in my thirties and have to deal with this problem, but I dont see kayaking as a young persons sport, its far more inclusive than that. I sometimes paddle with a stalwart of Scottish paddling who has recently turned 70, and to celebrate this we had a week in October paddling the Spean, Roy, high Orchy, Etive and Coe, the group was made up of quite a wide range of ages, so in my view it it is very much down to personal motivation and enjoying the activity, and company of others, to get you out and into the world of paddling.

Colin

Badknee

Post by Badknee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 am

I stopped paddling age 30 due to bad injuries. Started again at 47. I am on regular club trips and paddling all over the country. I have improved my fitness and got some coaching and I am now paddling better then ever. Experience means that I am tactically better and make better decisions than I used to when on the water. The last five years have been some of the best paddling I have done. I expect that to continue.
All the usual scratches...

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm

morsey wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 pm
Each year your gear will get one year more retro and you'll look like a legend of the extreme.
I took a break in my 30's then in my 40's returned to paddling. Whilst on the local weir, one of the young guns from the uni club paddled over an asked "Where did you get all that excellent retro gear?"
Cheeky bastard!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm

I was out on a river one day (not local) and saw a chap in a spud which I thought I recognised, I also recognised the Schlegel paddles, the WW helmet, the old BA, even though the helmet had 'Gary' crossed out. He had bought the whole lot from a friend who had given up ww paddling about 8 - 10 years before. Yes, retro

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:06 pm

I also thought this post must be a wind-up. If you're feeling off-form when you're 30, the problem is being out of practice - not your age.

In terms of what your body can do / take as you get older, you may enjoy watching someone around 20 years older than yourself surfing:

G.B.

SPL

Post by SPL » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Firstly 30 is not old.

I am 43 sure i paddle less due to family and life commitments but i can still run the same rivers.
Hopefully relying more now on my experience and skills rather than being ballsy.

Age is just a number.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 pm

I have been paddling since I was 17, Im now 56...been with a club that brought me on up to grade 5 which lasted about 20 years..although my bag is really surf..mainly in Playboats as I love to play and mess around in it..as well as the odd surf boat along the way..over the past 3 years, I see myself just enjoying rivers like the Usk that have all I need in a river..playspots some drops and great company..still enjoy the surf as my main thing and recently started Sea kayaking around my local Gower coast...again with a boat that can surf well as well as cruise...can't think of anything else to do that I would feel interested in...So Ill go until I feel its not fun anymore...

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 am

I'm 41, and I'm still hungry. If you take care of yourself, you can keep going. Warm up and down carefully, do yoga, take care of injuries, work out every day, make sure your lifting technique is correct when pumping iron, and get on the water every week if possible. I suppose the difference is, you can't lie on the sofa all day munching crisps and expect to jump straight in a boat like an 18 year old can.

P.S. Daz, you are a legend. You always bring a smile to my face!

roo

Post by roo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 am

Dr Robin wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 am
I'm 41, and I'm still hungry. If you take care of yourself, you can keep going. Warm up and down carefully, do yoga, take care of injuries, work out every day, make sure your lifting technique is correct when pumping iron, and get on the water every week if possible. I suppose the difference is, you can't lie on the sofa all day munching crisps and expect to jump straight in a boat like an 18 year old can.
With you Dr Robin. I'll admit to having a fallow period for the last 10 years - fortunately polo has allowed me to keep my eye in. (Our team has an average age well over 40 and we still show the yoofs how to play).

The mind doesn't change, the calculated "risks" don't change, the skills don't change, the fitness can be maintained/recovered and the judgement generally gets better. The disposable income can make things comfier too.

I lost a very good friend (one of my main paddle partner/adventurers to an unexpected medical condition last year) - I owe a continuation of my life as a kayaker to me and him, so that's what I'm doing. Rasie that bar!

#welshWarriors

Pat R

Post by Pat R » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:40 pm

I started at about 37 on flat water, took up white water a couple of years later and still get out at every opportunity. I'm now 70 and have no intention of stopping until I physically can't do it any more. Just paddle!

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm

I paddled when was a teenager at school in my early teens and started paddling again when I was 49, about 9 years ago, just before Christmas. My son 'TheKikkittWars' stated paddling and rather than sitting on the bank watching or running the shuttle, I got back in a kayak. By the new year he had me back on white water, which was very entertaining in itself, as I initially spent more time in the water than in the kayak, hence my quickly aquired nickname 'Neptune'.

Paddling with the legendary Nic Burne and occasionally his two sons, Tim and Dave, he soon had me running grade 5. By June of that year he had me run the Upper Swale in spate before taking me to Scotland in the September to partner him in the first Etive River Race.

I get out as often as possible, but not as much as I would like to, but that is only because I also do judo as well and have done since I was 15. I still compete in contest judo regularly at Master competions and will be competing in the 2018 Japan Masters International Judo Championships in Osaka in May and the 2018 Europen Master Championships in Glasgow in June.

Why, because it is fun and just like Pat R, I have no intention of stopping paddling or doing judo until I physically can't do it any more.

I am happy to get out on grade 3, 4 or 5 and have fun. The group I go out with regularly (Leeds CC Over 50's) is like a cross between 'Top Gear' and 'Last of the Summer Wine' on the water. There are no expectations, only your own. You paddle what you want and walk round what you want, we all laugh at each other all the time, epsecially when someone gets a trashing or takes a swim, but we are very tight, together and on it when it comes to safety. What you start to lack in fitness and energy, you make up for in experience, technique and judgement.

The point is, just like kids it has to be fun. If you are not having fun and enjoying it, then just like kids, you will not go back for more. So get out there and have fun and enjoy yourself.

Peter
(Neptune)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 pm

dave

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 pm

An insightful and sobering read

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 pm

I was just reading that, before visiting here and can see the central points being shared by others here, be that at a much lesser level, and sometimes the question for me is not can I paddle after 30, but, what will I do when I cant paddle? It was a sobering and engaging read, which struck multiple chords for me.

Colin

roo

Post by roo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks Dave - I'd seen this on FB but hadn't read it yet. A great read - well delivered Rob Coffey.

In contrast, here's one of the high points of my paddling career.

http://thepoly.co.uk/kayak/nz/exped2000/reps/nevis.html

This was an outstanding paddle for me but for others it's something to do before breakfast!!

Jacob's Ladder on the Tsania - was something altogether different :-)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 pm

I think the OP took a bit of unfair flack for asking a question to a bunch of oldies, but to be fair I think the doubts and concerns are real.
Now, if the original question had been can I carry on paddling into my 30s and 40s with it being the same as when I was in my 20s...

There is undoubtedly a pattern of paddlers 'giving up' around their 30s as family and maturity kick in – and then about 10 years later, missing it and restarting.
It's definitely a thing. Maybe it should have a name.

It's all about risk perception. Everyone knows teens and early 20s have no fear. As family and responsibilities kick in it just makes it harder to ignore the risks. Put that together with having had a few close ones and seen others fall by, and the risk vs reward balance changes.
dave

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am

Just turned 50! I have had eye infections this winter and only got out once in canoe. No kayaking.
I have got out of the habit of boating this winter and in my head the thought of getting cold (which never used to bother me) has become a barrier (excuse)to going, brrrrr!
The plan is to hope for a warm wet spring and summer and to ease back into it.
It has become easy not to organize everything, not to load up the car, not to get cold and then have to sort out all the wet kit when you get home!
Like one of the other comments make sure what ever I do it is fun! Then the passion will kick back in.
Jason

Jonny1982

Post by Jonny1982 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 pm

I raced as a junior and took up river running in my teens with a little playing. In my mid 20's my daughter was born and that ended my paddling (along with a broken back that required surgery). I'm now in my mid 30's have 3 kids and am getting back out there. It took a while but moved from grade 3 back towards 4 and still prefer a playboat to a creeker, gets me funny looks on my local runs in the Lakes. Finding a club and getting a group together will help immensely, I joined a club with 3 people that paddled rivers once or twice a year. In the last 18 months that number has risen to 14! That has been my motivation to get and keep going. Will I get back to 4/5? Probably, but more likely to be classic 5s on an easier run than paddling full on Grade 5 runs, but you never know. My fitness has improved too - nothing like what it was but a decade of an office job hasn't helped there either.
Get back out there, find some people who have similar aspirations and you'll be amazed at what can be done.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Maribo

Post by Maribo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:50 pm

I used to race motocross, but realized that the ability to jump back up after a crash, and/or heal is much reduced as the years advance. So I took up kayaking at 50 and now I’m 60. Worked my way up to class 4 rather quickly, lower class 5 after 3 or 4 years. Kayaking is not nearly as hard on the body as some other sports, so I think it is good for mature people, as well as young.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Take up sea kayaking mate - at 30, I guarantee you will be the youngest in any sea paddling group by a long way!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm looking forward to sea kayaking when I reach retirement ☺
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner