Anyone used www.ratchetshop.com?

Inland paddling
paddlersteve

Anyone used www.ratchetshop.com?

Post by paddlersteve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 am

Any purchased any straps from www.theratchetshop.com

They look good value, but are they any good?

PlymouthDamo

Re: Anyone used www.ratchetshop.com?

Post by PlymouthDamo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm the only person I know that uses ratchet straps. Everyone else I paddle with uses luggage straps and usually makes a few doom-laden prophecies about how I'm going to break my plywood boats with mine. I think they're great, but I got a few of them (a bit cheaper than that website) from Lidl years ago which are still going strong. The only problem I found with ratchet straps was that having the long webbing strap as a separate component, which hitches onto the ratchet via a hook, makes it all too fiddly. So I did a bit of sewing on mine so that the ratchet is on the end of the long webbing strap and you just have to run the webbing round the boats/roofrack and back through the ratchet before tightening it.

Edit: just spotted that they also sell luggage straps ('cam buckles') on that website for between £3 and £4. Seems pretty cheap, but the Lidl kits that I bought a few years ago also included some of those, which I've still got hanging around. They sell them quite frequently in their motoring sales, so worth keeping an eye out for.

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 am

When using ratchet straps to tie down your kayak / canoe remember to wear your helmet and try not to worry about the dents it is putting in your (or your mates) roof. I still remember helping a mate tie down his kayak with ratchets, ouch. Palm do cam straps with the cams incased in rubber / soft plastic which don't take chunks of paint off the roof.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Go on, it's Friday so I'll bite: how can ratchet strapping your kayak to your roofbars (even if it's done by Geoff Capes on a careless day) result in a dent in your roof? And what would the helmet be saving you from?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”