Critique my roll?

Inland paddling
Maribo

Re: Critique my roll?

Post by Maribo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Practice hip-snapping "all the way", as others have said, until you feel the cockpit hitting you in the side. On way I like to practice the hip-snap without too many other complicating factors, is to grab a pfd, flip upside-down, extend the pfd in your hands out perpendicular to the boat, then roll the boat up with your hips. complete by leaning around to the back, as in a normal sweep. If you try to lift your head, and thereby push down on the pfd very much, it will sink. But there is more than enough flotation to get up with a proper hip-snap. One good thing is that you can do it as slowly or as fast as you want.

TheEcho

Re: Critique my roll?

Post by TheEcho » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 pm

I can hip snap up in the Burn from completely inverted using two fingers on the side of the pool,and can butterfly roll my sea kayak (using a paddle floating parallel to the boat in the same way you describe using the pfd) so I think my hip snap is good enough to roll and my deficiencies are mostly in the upper body, though I suppose if I got it down to a small pool float with the Burn it would give me more latitude to mess up elsewhere which is always good.