British Canoeing Awarding Body

Inland paddling
Robert Craig

British Canoeing Awarding Body

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 am

Anyone understand the relationship between British Canoeing and the British Canoeing Awarding Body? Are the separately funded, or does one support the other?

GregS

Re: British Canoeing Awarding Body

Post by GregS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 pm

BCU Awarding has been rebranded as British Canoeing and given a new website... but it's not new - it's the body which brought us the Ukcc scheme! Should be operating at a Federal Level (so beyond scrutiny of English Council and ECMC) - answerable directly to the Board.

https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org ... structure/

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Link just has pictures and names of people - it doesn't say anything about structure or funding. I've looked here and elsewhere on the new website, and there's nothing about structure, as far as I can see.

GregS

Post by GregS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Ok - for that sort of information you need to return to the main BC website. I'm out and about but start with the organisational diagram for the Coaching Strategy Group, etc.

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/abou ... egy-group/

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Greg
Thanks.

Looks from this as though BCAB is part of BC, governed by BC, and not separately funded - does that sound right?

GregS

Post by GregS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

OK - I have asked Nottingham to add a page to the Awarding Body website showing where it sits within British Canoeing - something I know they've got as I've seen it!

You get more sense of things from the old site:
British Canoeing Awarding is an awarding body recognised and regulated by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual), Qualification Wales and the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA), working with leading organisations.

The British Canoeing Awarding mission is to provide qualifications which are relevant and fit for purpose through a quality assured, efficient and cost effective qualification awarding service.

We are an awarding body recognised and regulated by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual), Qualifications Wales Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). We work in partnership with a variety of organisations to develop and award qualifications for the Active Leisure and Learning Industry.

Our current partners include:
  • The Scottish Canoe Association
  • British Canoeing
  • Canoe Wales
  • The Canoe Association of Northern Ireland
British Canoeing Awarding are responsible for:
  • Qualification / syllabus development
  • Establishing the requirements of Tutors, Assessors, and Verifiers
  • Checking to make sure delivery centres are delivering the awards to the right standards
  • Issuing successful candidates with Certification
See https://web.archive.org/web/20161125105 ... /about.htm
Whilst BCU Awarding is responsible for the actual qualifications,
the Home Nations are responsible for:

• Qualification delivery
• Training, assessing, and updating providers
• Checking providers are working to the correct standards
• Registering Coaches who wish to enrol for an award
• Supporting existing Coaches. For example; downloadable resources, or advice on good practice
• Running a programme of Continual Professional Development for Coaches

If you want to find a course, or provider, or want some support as an existing coach go to your
Home Nation Association website:
http://www.britishcanoeunion.org.uk/coaching/

See also:https://web.archive.org/web/20111120162 ... ommittees/

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks again

What I'm trying to find out is whether BCAB is separately funded from BC or part of BC. Quote above seems to suggest it's not part of BC, as BC is a "partner"

Sort of: do I pay for it when I pay for my 3* certificate, or do I pay for it through my SCA subscription?

GregS

Post by GregS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Funding for BC is set out in the Annual Report... which notes that 55% of British Canoeing's income comes from UK Sport and can ONLY be spent on Olympic and Paralympic programmes... and if there's been any meaningful trickle-down to "coaching" (as everyone else understands it) that's not been overly apparent even from within the organisation!

A further 28% of British Canoeing funding comes from Sport England and is for "Talent and Participation"... which has always included stuff linked to the coaching scheme - to which BCAB is central. You might not see a line of expenses here which is linked directed to BCAB... but that's an awful lot of money... at least some of which gets used in ways we value!

The remaining 17% of BCs income comes from membership, clubs, coaching and commercial and so on. This is listed as for "organisation running costs"... and ~ 20% of this (so 3.4% of the overall budget) ends up in "coaching" - which is a fair bit, but isn't disproportionate as 1 in 3 full members are coaches!

Of course, SOME of that income derives from levies on those wanting awards, etc. The whole system (financial model) changed fairly recently... but yes: the administration of the coaching scheme and so on is part-funded by small sums attached to "products" owned by BCAB. I trust your SCA representatives on the Board have looked at how this works in some detail and could clarify further.

Now whether SCA Membership goes in this direction is a whole other matter. Reading between the lines... I get the impression that Nottingham sees too little of this happening and wants the contribution to be increased.... and the SCA might be unconvinced by such arguments. I don't have enough info to form a judgement!

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Question is really "does BCAB get the money for all the good work it does from BC (and so from what the SCA et al pay to BC); or does it have a separate source of income, eh from Star Award fees?

GregS, I have PM'd you

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Like all these new developments, BC are looking to comply to new standards for multiple funding streams, or perhaps simply to access funding to make a change within their own award structure. By becoming an awarding body, BC have looked to get their own awards recognised as vocational qualifications, which can open up further funding possibilities for delivery centres, students, apprentices and even coach development.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

I've established (by asking) that BCAB is a part of BC and is funded directly by BCAB.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:06 pm

This thread reminds me yet again of the confusion BC creates by trying to be the membership organisation for England and the UK overarching body. England should have a separate membership body (of course that can share staff with BC). Not only would it make it clearer which functions are run at UK level, it would also avoid the perception among members in other home nations that they are managed by an English body.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”