Mamba vs Burn

Inland paddling
frankthesurf

Mamba vs Burn

Post by frankthesurf »

Probably been discussed before but looking for a good river/creek boat and probably narrowed down to one of these. I'm about 90kgs with kit. Medium Burn or 8.1 Mamba?
Any info would be worthwhile please.

nippon

Re: Mamba vs Burn

Post by nippon »

My personal preference is a Burn any day. Although the Mamba is very similar. Test them both and see which one you prefer

Assuming you are talking about a Burn3... At 90kgs I would be looking at a large.
I think the medium Burn3 is rated to 85kgs.

I have asked Pyranha directly about weight range recommendations when I was looking to get my latest Burn.
I wondered why a Burn1 small was rated to 100kgs when a Burn3 medium was rated to 85kgs, even though it had more volume.

They said that paddler testing and R&D have determined that the Burns perform better when riding higher in the water so they reduced the maximum recommended paddler weight
So better to be on the lighter side of the recommended weight range as the Burns perform better when riding high in the water.

I'm around 70ish kgs with all paddle kit and paddle a medium Burn3.

:)

hamster86

Post by hamster86 »

I had a burn, sold it last week. hated it in every way possible. I'm looking at getting a mamba 8.1 now. I've got a old 8.6 which is so much nicer to paddle that the burn and more comfortable, just too big for me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Just goes to show that you need to try for yourself. I owned a Mamba for a short time, admittedly the old one, and I found that I couldn't get it to go the way I wanted half the time, and I blamed it for getting me into bother on three separate occasions. Considering that I came from a I3 which most other people find gets them into trouble I thought that was a pretty bad record. I ended up choosing a Burn as I found that it was the only boat that I tried that I felt didn't swamp me when I paddled the size that I wanted, though I did have to raise the seat to get it to fit properly.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Yew

Post by Yew »

Don't forget the Zet Raptor, or even a Dragorossi 88. Personally I feel that in the Creek/River Runner category, the Raptor is one of the better choices you can make, so it's worth a try!

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

At 90kg I think that you may be a little on the heavy side for the Mamba 8.1 and should try to demo both the 8.1 and 8.6 on the same day on the same water to find out which size suits you best, especially if you want to progress the grade 4.

Peter

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider »

I'm with Neptune on this. At 90kg with kit on I would definitely be looking at demoing the 8.6 mamba and the L and XL burn. Do you take kit with you on a trip splits, camera etc?? I do and demoed a lot of boats. The raptor was great but I knew as soon as I put kit in it it wouldn't paddle as nice. I personally can't get on with Pyranha outfitting and have a Mamba. For me it is the most comfortable boat I have owned and I just wish I had bought one sooner. Mine is the latest 8.6 with the creek outfitting.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

I had a Burn M for ~9 years, and much preferred paddling that to a Mamba, whenever I got the opportunity to make that choice. I just found the Mamba to be a little "heavy" to paddle, and my paddling style and boat history makes the flatter hull and chine behaviour of the Burn work better for me, for anything up to a low end G5. YMMV of course
I completely agree that at 90kg, you are likely too close to (or over) the upper end of the Burn M, certainly based on my own experience with the muscle I gained over that decade. At 90kg, you are on the upper end but correctly still within the good behaviour band of the Raptor. I ended up at 95-100kg loaded with kit and gear so I went with a Director, works very well for me.

I would advise, if you can at all, to try out a Raptor, a Burn L, and the Mamba 8.6 before you look any further. I'd suspect you may like the Raptor.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Try loads of boats. Raptor, Five, Toro, Director, Machno, Ripper (awesome boat), Granate, Karma, etc etc. Loads to choose from.

hamster86

Post by hamster86 »

I tried my new mamba today after Bunning off the burn the other week. And what a difference. It actually made me want to stay out longer. Although it felt a bit on edge to start with it just felt right. Got the fit near on perfect. Contact point were right. Not like the burn that needed blocks of foam fitting everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”