Immersion Research drysuits

Inland paddling
clarky999

Immersion Research drysuits

Post by clarky999 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm

My faithful Palm Torrent (purchased in 2008) finally died last summer, so I need a new drysuit before the kayaking season kicks off again in the spring.

For a number of reasons I'm fairly set on an IR suit (probably the Arch Rival), but I will have to order online without checking them out first, so hope someone here can help answer a couple of questions please!

1. What's the real difference between the 7Figure and the Arch Rival? I understand the former is made with polyester (which apparently is less likely to wet out when the DWR wears off) and the latter with nylon, but is the 7Figure notably lighter and/or allows more freedom of movement (or any other differences)?
2. Latex vs fabric boots. I've always had fabric before, and note that IR can use either on either suit. I've always considered fabric better, as while the friction may wear them out eventually, I'm far less likely to be puncture them hopping around a gravelly car park (I don't always take the best care of my gear...); however I was surprised to read in a number of reviews that people came to prefer the latex boots. Does anyone have experience with both, or care to convince me that latex really is better?

Thanks!

Jim

Re: Immersion Research drysuits

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:33 pm

When trying them on I decided the 7-figure was enough lighter for me to prefer it over the Arch Rival, but mine is a couple of years old now and they update them a little each year. It is certainly very dry, although perhaps getting less water days than previous suits because I do so much in shorts these days...

I have used latex feet in the past but always found them kind of cold and clammy, and sometimes a little tight if wearing warm socks under, I prefer fabric feet, but then I have to be careful not to crease them when putting socks/shoes over the top because that is uncomfortable. I think they are warmer.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 pm

clarky999 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm
I understand the former is made with polyester (which apparently is less likely to wet out when the DWR wears off) and the latter with nylon, but is the 7Figure notably lighter
This is all correct. Not sure if it would give a massive difference in freedom of movement. The cut of the suit is more important there.
clarky999 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm
Latex vs fabric boots
I prefer latex. They are 100% dry until they leak. When they do leak you can use a bike puncture repair kit to fix them up or put a new sock on. It's really easy to do.
You know that bunched up feeling you have when you put your foot into the shoe and the drysuit sock is all bunched up? Latex is more form fitting, so it doesn't really do that. I think they are more comfy.

They aren't breathable, true. But if my foot breaths when its inside a sock, drysuit, shoe and kayak I would be surprised.

The biggest deciding factors with the IR suits is really which zip setup you prefer and which colour goes with your current colour scheme better! ;)

nippon

Post by nippon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

I really like my Arch Rival.
I've had it nearly 3 years and its taken a real beating.
Its had a neck seal replaced as I tore one. Its had a rip in the leg repaired as some barbed wire on a portage got me. Still dry. :)

I prefer the latex socks for the reasons stated above - Comfortable fit, easy repair, easy to replace.

I think my only potential area for improvement on the suit would be to have some harder wearing fabric on the knees and the seat.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 am

I have the Arch Rival rear zip. I love it. I have a few bits of IR gear and these days, aside from the Peak cagdecks, I wouldn't use much else. I now prefer latex feet to fabric ones. As Mark mentions they are 100% dry until punctured, whereby it is an easy fix with a puncture repair kit. I have heard some say they are colder and/or sweatier than fabric. Can't say I've ever noticed any difference in practice. I also find that latex feet are easier to get into boots, and don't bunch up like fabric socks do.

My only gripe with the IR stuff is the colours. Or more to the point, they always seem to release the colour I'd more likely want not long after I've already bought a bit of their kit!

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks all!

I think I will be going with the Arch Rival and latex socks... But will hold off a bit to see the new colours (and if the current ones go on sale ;)).

From IR's FB today:

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:34 pm

New colours should be additional colours to the line up. 2017 colours will be staying for 2018. I think...

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:37 pm

SimonMW wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 am
aside from the Peak cagdecks
IR will do a cagdeck too! It's done on a on demand basis so you need to email them to get the ball rolling.
The deck and top are glued together rather than stitched and taped (which you'll see on cheaper cagdecks), this should keep everything watertight for longer.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:40 am

https://www.immersionresearch.eu/store/ ... dry-suits/

https://www.immersionresearch.eu/store/ ... dry-suits/

New suits were made available to buy today!

2017 colours will be phased out, I was wrong. So don't delay if you are a 2017 colour fan.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Cheers for the heads up Mark, just snagged the last 2017 Arch Rival rear zip in M ;)