Anyone done the BHERI in Nepal, recently?

Inland paddling
Slime

Anyone done the BHERI in Nepal, recently?

Post by Slime » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Namaste!

Its that time of year when everyone is dreaming and planning next years trips. I am interested in doing a mellow raft supported trip down the Bheri in Far Western Nepal. NOT the Thule Bheri but the main Bheri from its confluence with the Sani Bheri. I have paddled both rivers but a long while ago so would appreciate hearing from anyone who has paddled the river in the last few years.

Many thanks, Pete Knowles.

swagstaff

Re: Anyone done the BHERI in Nepal, recently?

Post by swagstaff » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:13 pm

Surely just fluffy grade 3 crystal clear water just like all the others you try to persuade us to paddle.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am

Yep, what do you want to know!

I paddled it as an add-on to the Thuli as I (just about) had time in my trip in November. The rest of the team took out at Devisthal and I continued on solo.
As I was on a bit of a tight schedule I did from Devisthal to Chisipani in pretty much 48 hours, so not really a "relaxed float", but still better than odding around in Kathmandu with no friends :-) haha.
Was lucky with the busses though from the takeout - finding a "deluxe" bus direct to Kathmandu within 5 minutes of getting up to the road!

There's only really one rapid that justifies class 4 (a few km after the Surkhet bridge), though another couple of nice big bouncy rapids a bit lower down. The final gorge of the Bheri looks to have some epic camp spots with loads of potential for a "whiteman" camp fire given the amount of wood on the beaches. There is lots of flat though. I would recommend going relatively early in the year to make the whitewater more interesting and the flats less of a slog.

Worth noting that a few of the beaches on the bank of the Karnali after the Bheri confluence have white writing on the rocks in Nepali - apparently warning you not to swim in the river as there have been a few croc related fatalities... Worth being aware of if you're on a more relaxed time frame and possibly looking to camp in the otherwise lovely gorge just upstream of Chisapani.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 am

I also did it as a 2 day solo paddle after the Thuli, but in 2007 (others took out at the bridge to Surkhet, after paddling 90km on our final day - so I only had 90km by myself, whilst Poke did c.140km). Stayed in Bardia NP afterwards - the only scary bit was the "skipping" ferry cable at Devisthal.

Not sure how far up the road has got, or what condition it is in - there was no bridge at Devisthal when we were there, but they had got a bus on the other side...

Some useful info: https://www.nepalriverrunner.com/river/bheri/

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm

...wait...what??

So those huge crocs under the bridge aren't "harmless fish eating" ones?

Retrospective Gulp.
dave

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:40 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm
So those huge crocs under the bridge aren't "harmless fish eating" ones?
haha. Retrospectively, it's probably better that you didn't know. You no doubt had a much more pleasant float down that final gorge on the Karnali than I did. I think I overegged the danger somewhat in my head to the point where I had a handful of rocks on my deck to throw at any potentially pursuing crocs to disctact them. haha. Made sure I stayed dead centre all the way and avoided all eddies.
jmmoxon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 am
I also did it as a 2 day solo paddle after the Thuli, but in 2007 (others took out at the bridge to Surkhet, after paddling 90km on our final day - so I only had 90km by myself, whilst Poke did c.140km). Stayed in Bardia NP afterwards - the only scary bit was the "skipping" ferry cable at Devisthal.
Cool. Didn't think I'd be the only person to have been in that predicament. Your buddies missed the best bit by taking out at Surkhet. It gets nicer downstream from there!
jmmoxon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 am
Not sure how far up the road has got, or what condition it is in - there was no bridge at Devisthal when we were there, but they had got a bus on the other side...
Substantial bridge at Devisthal now. Road going up to the Thuli/Sanu confluence looks (from the river anyway) much better than the old description in the guidebook. Possibly no longer the hideous ride it once was. May save 50km of flat down to Devisthal for anyone doing the Thuli and willing to give it a gamble. They are building a road right up to Juphal actually. Lots of activity in Golden Canyon when we passed. Lots of shattered rock debris dumped in the river :-( Whose money is on a dam in <10 years?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm

The are pushing forward with the dam on the Humla and the Arun, I can't see why the Thuli would be exempt, it is in a more isolated position though. Unlike the Thuli, both the Arun and the Humla start in China. 3 of the best multidays in the world right there.