Review - WW / Creek Highlights of 2017

Inland paddling
GregS

Review - WW / Creek Highlights of 2017

Post by GregS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:17 pm

It's that time of year again... and everyone's going to have had personal highlights... but in 2017 we've not been short of big stories from here in the UK and from around the world... including this gem:

Of course, lots of the films actually feature stuff done the previous year - but hey, when they are this good...

... the most powerful film of the year:

...and of course, Aniol's beating on the Wenatchee was mesmerising:

...and the same guy's headcam footage of this huge swim / rescue:

Of things involving Brits... this one (featuring Sam Ellis) sticks in my mind:

Recall the extreme water levels at this year's North Fork Championships? Joe Morley got on the podium in the Boater-X...

...but this edit of the Giant Slalom was perhaps the finest:

As ever... Bren Orton's adventures grabbed headlines... including recognition for his 2016 descent of Megatron...

...and the release of the SEND team's film of kayaking in Chile:

...but this year started with Unleashed:

...included the Lion river:

...and ending with 128' of Big Banana Falls, at the end of this edit:

Did Montréal Eau Vive set records for volume of water at a competition venue?

Then you've got the Big Fork Champs (more Morley success), The Green Race, Ekstremsportveko , Devil’s Extreme Race and so on...

...plus King of the Alps and then Sickline with Jenny Chrimes:

...and the GoPro Games:

Then there's all the other stuff... from the Nile River Festival to the Tara River Festival, Ladakh River Festival and Machu Pichu Kayak Festival... with many more in between.

...and then there's all the stuff closer to home ...which is so "everyday" it gets overlooked.

Stuff like this:

Or this:

Sam Ellis trying out SUP on Low Force might count:

At this point, I should declare a motive beyond finding good stuff...

Dave Manby and I both gave British Canoeing a load of grief last year for completely overlooking EVERYTHING like this in their annual roundup - which sucks. Credit where it's due... they don't want to make that mistake this year around... so we've all got landed with identifying what's been too good to miss!

No rules - though a British angle on ANYTHING is likely to go down well in Notts... on which note, does anyone know of Brits involved with the films in Kayaksession Short Film awards?

Loads of folk here are better placed to highlight stuff than me... so I'll hand it over: what from 2017 should be recalled many years down the road?

GregS

Re: Review - WW / Creek Highlights of 2017

Post by GregS » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Well - this is timely - Bren Orton's hugely impressive 2017 Highlight Reel :)

Not easily topped...

Yew

Re: Review - WW / Creek Highlights of 2017

Post by Yew » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:20 pm