Only Allowed 2 Boats

Inland paddling
Gordon Tracy

Only Allowed 2 Boats

Post by Gordon Tracy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:26 pm

If you were only allowed to own/use 2 whitewater kayaks, & had to keep them for the rest of your paddling career (we'll assume they last that long), what would they be & why?
Maybe you can narrow it down to 1........... :-)

DaveBland

Re: Only Allowed 2 Boats

Post by DaveBland » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 pm

That's easy.
A 9R and a polo boat. Oh hang on, that's what I've got...
dave

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm sure we had a previous version of this thread where you were only one boat. The answer was a Topo!
Mark Gawler

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

WW kayaks - based on the WW kayak paddling I am doing most of at the moment one would be a Matrix Max, the other would be something a little newer than my Savage 2000, maybe a little more volume, perhaps a Siccario?

Which means I'd have to do any future creeking in a canoe, I couldn't make do without at least 3 WW canoes.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 pm
That's easy.
You have a WW polo kayak?

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:53 am

Jim wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm
DaveBland wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 pm
That's easy.
You have a WW polo kayak?
I think Dave gets an extra boat in this discussion :)

I'd keep my little burn, not sure what the second one would be.
I can roll :)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

...Ah-ha! Damn. ...er, hows about if I use my polo boat on the slalom course for a bit of training, so it counts as a ww boat, and then I can use it for polo too?
dave

Conor Buckboy

Post by Conor Buckboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Robson Blowfish playboat. Much more fun than any fat creeker and keeps me on my toes.

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 pm

To answer my own question, It'd definitely be a Salto Evo for most things. I'll say my Eskimo Quadro for boat #2 as a) I already own one & b) I need something slicey with edges to force me to learn skills that I can't in a big volume boat, although tbh, any playful river runner would do as I don't have enough experience of them to know what one I'd like the best.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 am

DaveBland wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm
...Ah-ha! Damn. ...er, hows about if I use my polo boat on the slalom course for a bit of training, so it counts as a ww boat, and then I can use it for polo too?
You should pick another boat.......oops

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:58 am

Unlike Gordon, I am not personally from the Thunderbirds, owing to the presence of an 'e', although the kids I teach often make this connection!!
My two boats would be a Pyranha Loki for play and surf (which I have) and a decent competition slalom kayak for events (that I can't afford at present).
Jerry.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm

gp.girl wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 am
DaveBland wrote:
I do like the look of the new slicey back Pyranha...
dave

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm
gp.girl wrote:
DaveBland wrote:
I do like the look of the new slicey back Pyranha...
Still intend to borrow one and make a total idiot of myself sometime in 2018 :)

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 am

gp.girl wrote:
DaveBland wrote:
No, because the limit is only for WW kayaks, we can own as many polo, sea, and FW kayaks as we like, and as many canoes too.

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 am

No, because the limit is only for WW kayaks, we can own as many polo, sea, and FW kayaks as we like, and as many canoes too.
Absolutely. I enjoy all kinds of paddling, but have no urge to own anything other than WW kayaks, & I just borrow club boats for the few times a year that I want to paddle something different. So Jim is bang on, in my self obsessed little world WW kayaks are the only boats that really matter, hence the question being specific to them.

I only paddle FW(touring, opens etc.) or sea on good weather days, & only if a group is already going & I fancy a day out, so will quite happily paddle any old bath tub on these days as it's a win-win.......either an easy paddle or an interesting learning experience ;-)

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am

I would keep my Loki because it is the most fun boat I have ever owned and then I would want something slightly longer with more volume but converted to C1 for running bigger rivers, maybe one of those pre-converted Zets?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:53 am

I have them already - a Burn and an I3. I would consider the Loki instead of the I3, I've paddled one and it is very good, but so is the I3 and I've done a lot in it and sometimes it is exceptional so it's not worth risking changing just for the sake of it, though I need to do a bit of welding on my I3 before I take it out again.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:02 pm

Wavesport XXX.. for Surf, Play, Pool sessions..Dagger Juice 7.1...allrounder, River Boat..already got them..need my other toys for specific jobs, but these will do me.

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 pm

9r, Topo, C1 Zet, Salto Evo, Burn, a few different generations of boats as far as creek boats go in this thread. Thought other 'classics' would've been mentioned too, Stomper, Nomad, Mamba...Riot Magnum?? Still available at £535 delivered & hailed as a great hull in it's time yet hardly anyone buys them, what happened, changing fashion?

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Gordon Tracy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 pm
Riot Magnum?? Still available at £535 delivered & hailed as a great hull in it's time yet hardly anyone buys them, what happened, changing fashion?
Allegedly they are made of cheese
Mark Gawler

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

I've heard this too Mark, but I briefly owned a Thunder & the plastic was fine......very thick & heavy, but never felt like it was suddenly going to explode or wear away more than any other boat I've owned (other than the Eskimo ones obviously). Does anyone have a bad experience with these boats, or is it still a hangover from the reputation they attracted when 1st moving production to China several years back. Genuinely interested in people's 1st hand experience as I may become a 3 boat family soon & I'm looking at all river runner/creekers with carving rails, & the Magnum is a new boat for my used boat budget :-)
Is it a self fulfilling prophesy where the bad reputation has made people avoid these boats or attribute damage to 'bad plastic' rather than poor paddling or a normal reaction for any plastic forced into sharp rock?

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:10 pm

The 2 boats would be the Zet Raptor which I currently have and of the 2 remaining boats I would keep the Eskimo Nano, and let the Kingpin go. I am not much of a playboater, I flail about with good intentions seldom resulting in definable playboating moves, though it does make messing around on easier rivers more enjoyable and keeps me focused on learning, and trying to improve. I think I might be proving the adage about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks true, and I use the word "new" in the widest context.

Colin

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Any opinion on the Raptor.....some people tell me it's a forgiving river runner that can carve if you crank it over, & others have told me it's too focused on creeking for what I do (which is gd2-3 with aspirations to be on gd4)? I'm about to demo one anyway, just looking for others opinions.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Gordon, I commented on your Salto thread, I have had lots of boats over the years and I have liked most of them including the Salto, though I did find it quite numb, if that makes sense. The Raptor is the boat I have felt most comfortable with, which really surprised me, as its outfitting is agricultural and I used to be quite dismissive about it, and then I had to eat my words as it was a very forgiving boat, and that sounds like its dull but that would not be fair, as its direct, confidence inspiring, light weight and holds a line when its pushed by side flows. Its easy to roll and works well for me. Its a few generations old now and the young Turks view would be that its had its day in the sun, but as I am never going to paddle G5 every trip, it will be a bit like its owner in that regard. I use it on G4 rivers in Scotland, Orchy, Etive, Spean etc, the normal runs. I dont use it on G2/G3 as its too much boat and would take away the pleasure you can get from making small eddies etc, and that is where the Kingpin, Nano come in. It would make a great second boat for the days you want to push your paddling a little.

Colin

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Cheers Colin. As said, I have an old Quadro for the day when my skills advance to the point where gd2-3 becomes too boring in a big boat, but at present I'm still stoked if I hit an eddy of any size in any boat & avoid my obsession with sub aquatic scenery :-) , so the Zet sounds ideal. Something I can learn in & will take the place of the Salto for pushing my limits when it eventually breaks. The rivers you run are the ones I aspire to, just not quite there yet....

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Just re-read my Salto thread Colin C......doh!! Need to keep better track of my late night ale fuelled ramblings & who's responded ;-) Thanks again for your opinion

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Just demo a Nomad Gordon. As you said, they're popular for a reason. Seriously, I spent ten years avoiding it for much the same reasons as yourself then finally paddled one and realised I'd wasted too much time on Hoss/Diesel/Habitat/Diesel 80/Shiva......and loads of others. I'd describe it as a boat that paddles like you think they should paddle before you take up paddling. You know,just as you start out you think you'll sit in a comfortable seat, learn a few strokes and go where you want only you find at first that the damn things have a mind of their own and you fight them and the river etc etc. Well the Nomad doesn't do that, I swear it reads YOUR mind, tunes into your vision and it all works as if by magic! And if you think that sounds boring step up a grade.....the Nomad lowers river grades for you, but you won't know till you try. Re a second boat. Totally depends what you want to be doing. I've given up on small boats. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on a two boat fleet where the second boat is a smaller expedition boat for bigger overnight river trips (eg the Spey) and a bit of coastal whitewater aka surfing and rock-hopping. I really quite fancy a Traverse but think a smaller sea boat like the new Wavesport Hydra might be even more versatile overall. Does anyone use smaller sea boats rather than crossovers to run rivers and overnight?

Gordon Tracy

Post by Gordon Tracy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Cheers Whitey1, going to demo one during the xmas break. I'm 80kg & it's an 8.1, so right at the top of the weight, but with it being such a forgiving boat I'm hoping that makes it more lively.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:13 pm

I'd keep my Director for the first boat. It has lots of get out of jail free cards with a lot of space to store the essentials and lots more, and it really can dance when I put the effort in. It really whips into eddies much more sharply than one would ever believe when looking at the length.
Boat two would likely be a Riot Prankster, though those are very thin on the ground. I prefer wave playboating to hole playboating, and few boats are as fast and loose and stable to surf cleanly as the Riot boats of that era. My Jed is a fine hole boat but just doesn't surf particularly well by comparison.. Now, if there were a good current moderately long modern boat with slicy ends and comfortable outfitting, that could fit fins underneath, maybe that would change my mind!

Maribo

Post by Maribo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

Ok, day late and a dollar short. My play interest extends as far as front-surfing, flat-spinning, maybe an ender once in a while. So, I use a Pyranha Nano as my river-running play boat. It is short enough to not be too hard to keep straight on a surf, yet enough volume to not get pummeled in big stuff. For attaining and faster waves, I use a Galasport ME XXL with the stabile layup (super strong). It is sized for a much larger slalom racer than I am, but for general river-running and bombing through bigger stuff, it is great. It still stern-pivots just fine. So, that would be my two boats.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”