Riber Kayaks

Inland paddling
MiriMaran

Riber Kayaks

Post by MiriMaran » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

What are Riber Kayaks like please? They are cheaper than other makes so was wondering if that effects performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terryg

Re: River Kayaks

Post by Terryg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:57 pm

No personal experience with these boats, but have just checked out their website and they appear to be very basic starter products.
So the answer to your question is probably yes, you get what you pay for.
A good second hand boat is probably going to be a better investment than a cheap new one that will probably be unsuitable 6 months down the line, and hard to sell on.

To ensure you get something suitable for your needs your best bet is to contact a local club, who can advise you and lend you boats to try.
Where are you based? if you have not found a local club someone from the area may be able to point you.

Terryg

Re: River Kayaks

Post by Terryg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Just seen your other post.

Hobobeard

Re: Riber Kayaks

Post by Hobobeard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm

The used market is fairly weak for these, I did toy with getting one for use on the local canals but ended up getting a good deal on a Dagger/Islander Fiesta (recycled plastic model) and it does everything I need for flat water. I think it cost £287 with paddle plus £20 delivered from memory..

The reviews of the Riber are fairly good however..

MiriMaran

Post by MiriMaran » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Ok thank you, that’s sort of what I was thinking, but the shop is so close I was tempted.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:25 pm

The reviews of the Riber are fairly good however
Bear in mind that the reviews will mostly be from the point of view of people who are the target market for the brand. If you're looking for a boat for an aspiring instructor (as per your other post) you need to know whether other aspiring instructors like them. For example, I drive a Ford, and I'm happy with it; I don't need a shiny car (I spend the money on nice canoes and kayaks). But somebody whose aspirations are a Lexus or a Porche would not have same view of my car.

MiriMaran

Post by MiriMaran » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Lol. My son texted one of the instructors and they said steer clear of them!

Murt2311

Post by Murt2311 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:43 am

Iv just bought a riber deluxe sit on top, went out on it for the first time today and it was sooo unstable it capsized within 5 meters from the shore!!! I wish there was more reviews on these particular products

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:31 am

Are you sure the boat is unstable? The design looks very stable and I guess the target audience would be looking for stability.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Murt2311 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:43 am
Iv just bought a riber deluxe sit on top, went out on it for the first time today and it was sooo unstable it capsized within 5 meters from the shore!!! I wish there was more reviews on these particular products

Are you using it in the sea? Most SOT kayaks (including this one) are specifically designed for stability on flat water and to hold a straight course, these are not great attributes if you encounter breaking waves or surf. The wave will try to turn the boat broadside and you will do well to stop it, and once it is sideways on to the wave the bouyancy in the boat will cause it to capsize.

There are SOT kayaks designed with surfing in mind but these are much harder to paddle on flat water and require a significant time investment to develop the skills to use them in surf or white water. They are also quite rare.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”