Contamination at the Burrs Country Park, Bury

Inland paddling
James Hartley

Contamination at the Burrs Country Park, Bury

Post by James Hartley »

Just seen the following on Facebook, might be worth avoiding the Burrs for anyone wishing to paddle it this weekend, seems once again that it is contaminated and potentially with something nasty
Hi can you post a warning please to any dog walkers who go to burrs country park . I had to have my beloved dog put to sleep this morning after she was poisoned in the river there . When we rand environmental health they said that 4 other dogs had been left paralysed after going in the river but they dont know where it is coming from . There are no warnings about this at all anywhere round the river to tell people not to et their dogs into the river. It was a horrible death of a beautiful loyal family pet . I dont want anyone to go through what we have gone through in the last 12 hours .
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Drifting leaf

Re: Contamination at the Burrs Country Park, Bury

Post by Drifting leaf »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

Please read this link there is no evidence to support this and refer to Mersey rivers trust facebook page.

Shufflerschair

Re: Contamination at the Burrs Country Park, Bury

Post by Shufflerschair »

I echo what Mike Duddy from the Salford Friendly Anglers has posted.
The EA have responded quickly last time, in accordance with the protocol that we agreed after the incidents earlier this year.
As far as I'm aware, the dead dog didn't have a post mortem, neither did the other alleged deaths.

So, no-one knows what these animals died of.
There has been no briefing to farmer livestock owners along the river, and they have stock in the fields, drinking the river water.
Given the heightened concerns after the last incidents, I would hope that, if anything toxic was identified in the water, the EA would have briefed all interested parties very quickly.

Anything does come out though, I'll post as soon as I'm aware.

Andy

Canoe England River Adviser
Rivers Irwell & Roch

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”