What clothing do I need?

Inland paddling
geomickb

What clothing do I need?

Post by geomickb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi,

I have been canoeing this year and want to so some kayaking over the winter.

What should I be wearing? I am new to WW so am expecting a lot of swimming.

I have been wearing a thin swimming wetsuit (2mm) with a Goretex jacket over the top but I am thinking it will be too cold for this and it isn't really comfortable.

I don't really want to spend a fortune because I am expecting to buy a kayak when I have decided that I like and know what I want.

I am also expecting to do some sea kayaking.

I am sure that everyone will have differing opinions but I am just looking for some ideas.

Mick

Chalky723

Re: What clothing do I need?

Post by Chalky723 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Your 2 main choices are wetsuit or drysuit....

Wetsuit will be colder & more restrictive movement wise.

You can pick up pretty cheap drysuits - my first one was a sailing drysuit that I got for £70 on Ebay & it transformed the hobby for me - swims became an inconvenience rather than ruining the paddle. You can wear as many or as few layers under one as circumstances require.

If you then decide it's not for you, the resale value won't have dropped much....

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Dry suite all the way, it will completely transform the swim experience for you.
Mark Gawler

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Dry suits are the way to go if you are paddling over the winter, and your enjoyment will be increased, but if you are on a budget, then a a good neoprene long John and dry cag or semi dry cag with fleece or wool jumpers underneath will be much better than what you are using at the moment. A full wet suit is little restrictive and dont forget a good base layer. The other thing to think about is a dry bag to take a spare fleece to change into mid trip if you are out all day and stopping for lunch, along with a fleece/wool hat. Winter does not need to stop you paddling, and also consider if you are going sea kayaking whether the dry suit you choose will work for that as well, if you decide to go down the dry suit road.

Colin

SPL

Post by SPL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Drysuits are great but in my opinion are restricted to cold paddles. A good cag and dry trousers gives you the option to wear just the cag and shorts in better weather and is nearly as good in the winter as a full drysuit.
Probably most paddlers who own a drysuit also have a decent cag so if money is an issue go the cag/trouser route for better flexibility.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Most paddlers have a drysuit and a cag & shorts for nice hot paddles. Not many WW paddlers use dry trousers if they have a drysuit - why would you?

D

Sent from mobile, excuse any spelling mistakes!

D

Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 am

Chalky723 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 pm
Most paddlers have a drysuit and a cag & shorts for nice hot paddles. Not many WW paddlers use dry trousers if they have a drysuit - why would you?
I've got semi-dry trousers, and still find they are useful on unseasonably cool summer days, and in autumn. They probably don't make much difference when you're paddling, but when you're out of the water having lunch they really keep the body heat in.

I don't swim as often as I used to, but I've had swims in the middle of winter in cag+trousers. It was chilly, but not unbearable.

That said, "semi-dry" only means semi-dry if you stay in your kayak. Otherwise, it means wet (but relatively warm). If the OP expects to be swimming more than once a day, I agree that there's no substitute for a dry suit.

geomickb

Post by geomickb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Can someone point me at some budget drysuits? Preferably ones which that have experience of.

Thanks,

Mick

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 pm
Not many WW paddlers use dry trousers if they have a drysuit - why would you?
As a whitewater canoeist, I find dry trousers very practical for summer ww paddling where you might otherwise be kneeling in a puddle most of the time

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

I have a Typhoon Multisport 4 and it is really good but for half the price take a look at Lomo.
http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/tornado- ... aking.html

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:05 pm

I'd suggest picking up a second hand multisport if possible. They're really good and the customer service is great. Probably pick one up second hand for the price of a new lomo one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:13 pm

I deliberately went swimming today. Dry cag and dry trousers bone dry