3 Day Kayak Adventure Advice Needed

Inland paddling
Samoutdoorman

3 Day Kayak Adventure Advice Needed

Post by Samoutdoorman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi,

I am very new to kayaking but really enjoy the time I have spent so far in the water. Me and my friend who is more experienced are looking at kayaking the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Ure from its source onto the ouse and into York (my home town). I will be using one of his kayaks as he has many however I am not sure that he has any gear for me other than a life jacket a kayak and a spray deck. As we will be going for a number of days we plan to bivy along the side of the river however i am unsure as of what in terms of clothing and accessories I may need ( do i need a dry top or any other items)

We plan not not to kayak Asygarth falls.

Many Thanks a fresh and excited kayaker.

Kayak_ben

Re: 3 Day Kayak Adventure Advice Needed (NEW)

Post by Kayak_ben » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 pm

For me layers are key, a decent cag/waterproof jacket,

Baselayers so that if the weather turns you can add or remove layers as needed.

A few spare changes of clothes and easy drying such as neoprene or swim shorts so that if you have a swim you don't have to spend the 3 days soaking wet.

I assume your mate will have all relevant safety gear for you to use such as throw line etc.

What kayaks are you using, if a larger touring you will have plenty space for clothing etc but may have to pack clever if using a smaller river runner/play boat

banzer

Re: 3 Day Kayak Adventure Advice Needed (NEW)

Post by banzer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Some lads did this a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87135&p=635959&hili ... ea#p635959 . Jason who wrote this is sadly no longer with us, greatly missed on the Yorkshire scene.

Water levels will be quite crucial in the upper stretches. You will need some recent rain. Winter / early spring would seem a sensible time. Aysgarth Falls is the only proper serious stretch but you should check out Redmire Force downstream and portage if necessary. Same goes for various weirs along the way.

Can't help you with bivvy sites sorry but there must be some secluded spots that don't have footpaths alongside.

Good luck
Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”