The benefits of BCU membership

Inland paddling
Mike A

The benefits of BCU membership

Post by Mike A » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:45 pm

BC, I still prefer when we were a Union, are asking about changes to the membership - values, benefits, types etc.

Let them know what you think of their options.

Are they good worthy suggestions,
could they be further improved,
are they really addressing why recreational paddlers wanting more access see no point in joining,
are the proposed benefits worth joining for, or do we really just want someone to represent us,
is it consultant speak more about getting stats for government grants

Whatever your view, good or bad its time to speak!

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... embership/

Psamathe

Re: The benefits of BCU membership

Post by Psamathe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Interesting and I was surprised by my responses - it brought home to me how unimpressed I am with the organisation.

Ian

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I am sure it is about stats for Government money - but also about how big an audience they have to drive the discounts which come with membership.

Do answer their survey ... there is even a box at the end for a freestyle answer.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Agree with the above.

My comments related to the fact that they dont really appear to understand why people join / dont join. IE we join because we have to (coaches / competitors), and we dont join because they appear to lack focus on recreational members of running an efffective access campaign.

Similarly, the free/cheap memberships appear more to be about enabling them to gain stats to show to the government that they are increasing participation (= more grant money), than anything else. Linked to that, the posts about recreational paddling on their facebook page mainly appear focused at getting non paddlers to paddle - ergo a particpation stat

Re benefits - Who cares about 10% off at cotswolds? Liability insurance is good, cheap travel insurance would be good.

The main benefit should be that BC make it easier for me to go paddling.

The above could just be a perception / poor marketing issue.

BUT, it is VERY GOOD to see that communication is improving.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Mike A wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 pm
Agree with the above.

My comments related to the fact that they dont really appear to understand why people join / dont join. IE we join because we have to (coaches / competitors), and we dont join because they appear to lack focus on recreational members of running an efffective access campaign.

Similarly, the free/cheap memberships appear more to be about enabling them to gain stats to show to the government that they are increasing participation (= more grant money), than anything else. Linked to that, the posts about recreational paddling on their facebook page mainly appear focused at getting non paddlers to paddle - ergo a particpation stat

Re benefits - Who cares about 10% off at cotswolds? Liability insurance is good, cheap travel insurance would be good.

The main benefit should be that BC make it easier for me to go paddling.

The above could just be a perception / poor marketing issue.

BUT, it is VERY GOOD to see that communication is improving.
In my response, an example of an issue indicating the the failings of the organisation, boat insurance: buy a boat 6 months into your membership and BCU will charge you the full 12 month premium for only 6 months cover because the premium renewal is linked to your membership renewal (they don't pro-rata). Take it up with the organisation and get nowhere. So I tried the same insurance company as covers my sailing dinghy and premium for full 12 months was cheaper than BCU (even if you got full 12 months cover from BCU). It shows a lack of thought about members and failure to engage when the issue is raised with them.

Ian

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 am

I wrote a blog on this (well joining the SCA anyway).

http://scottishwhitewater.blogspot.kr/2016/12/

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:43 am

Well that was an exercise in telling them why they are irrelevant. At least they asked and at least they recognise that they're failing to attract and retain members. It remains to be seen whether they listen or not, they never have before.

For me it's their failure to act on access. I think to attract & retain recreational paddlers they need to :
* lobby for the existing PRN to be affirmed by Parliament.
* establish a fighting fund to cover the legal costs of any member maliciously sued for trespass whilst responsibly exercising their PRN.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”