Dry suit advice

Inland paddling
Festa

Dry suit advice

Post by Festa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi Folks

I want to buy a dry suit, im only 5' 7'' but quite well built. Theres some good deals around at the moment but looking at the size guides id need a L or XL for my chest size but then im guessing the leg length will be way to long. Anyone else had this problem and have you found away round it..

thanks

shanclan

Re: Dry suit advice

Post by shanclan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Typhoon Multisport 4 has a wide range of sizes. They do a Medium Broad which is for up to 46" chest at 5'10 and very wide (think Spongebob Squarepants). I have the Medium and the body is very generous. Size chart is linked from the product page (little icon just left of the title) http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/products/s ... ience-zip/. Otherwise, DamX do made to measure.

Festa

Post by Festa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks mate, ill check them out

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Palm also do a medium broad.

Festa

Post by Festa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:11 pm

thanks ill take a look

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm

At least one dry suit - the Typhoon Multisport Hinge - has braces inside, to stop the legs flopping around. They work reasonably well, though there is still some surplus room in the feet. I'm the same height as you and by the sound of it similar build. I think I have the Medium Broad size. (Not at home right now so can't check.)

I'd strongly advise trying a suit on before you buy. I travelled 1.5 hours to get to a shop, and it was worth it because the size I had been planning to order would have asphyxiated me.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Franky wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm
I'd strongly advise trying a suit on before you buy. I travelled 1.5 hours to get to a shop, and it was worth it because the size I had been planning to order would have asphyxiated me.
Seconded.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Festa

Post by Festa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks, yes defo going to try before i buy. Sounds like the medium broad is going to be the one though. Must have a wee zip too :)

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:16 pm

I've just checked - my suit actually appears to be a medium, not a medium broad. I must be misremembering and got it the wrong way round, i.e. I had my eye on a medium broad but it was like a tent. I'm a 41" chest and the medium fits me well above the waist, even though the specified maximum chest size is 40".

Just goes to show how important it is to try before you buy!

Festa

Post by Festa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:35 am

thanks, sounds like we are about the same size. are you wearing anything under it

Franky

Post by Franky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Festa wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:35 am
thanks, sounds like we are about the same size. are you wearing anything under it
Yes, I wear a fleece top and fleece undertrousers. Usually I also wear a rash vest under the fleece (not sure why, I doubt it keeps much extra heat in).

My medium Typhoon is not baggy, but it's not tight either - just comfortable. It has lots of space around the upper arms, so there's plenty of room for movement. Since you'll be wearing a BA over it, there's no gain in having lots of "give" around the chest.

But try on both sizes. I think when I tried to medium broad on, I looked like a deflated Michelin Man and felt that the material would crumple and get in the way when I was paddling.

From the Typhoon web site, it looks as though most Typhoons have adjustable braces inside to pull up the legs if you're shorter than average. The first couple of times I wore mine I didn't use them, and paddling was fine without them. Really they just make walking around more comfortable.

Festa

Post by Festa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks mate

Yoav Ash

Post by Yoav Ash » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi everyone, I used to waveski many years ago in warmer waters. I recently decided going back to paddling and I'm taking a course at the Lee Valley White Water centre. After last week I realised a wetsuit won't cut it and decided to buy a drysuit. I got the Typhoon Hypercurve 3 which is in my budget range and I hope its good enough.

I am a little concerned about the size. I'm about 181 so ordered the M/L (183cm) which should be a good fit. Its fine when I'm standing, perfect fit. But when getting into a sitting position there's some pressure on my thighs and general pelvis areas, and moving my legs up is a little constrained. Is this how it is supposed to be? Should I opt for the next size (188cm). I don't want to carry flabs of fabric about me, but I also don't want to feel cramped in it.

Any advice for a cold water newbie?

Oh, also would it be a good idea to add a little more for the Ezeedon with the front zip?

Thanks for the help and again hello everyone.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 pm

Hey, they should be comfy when sitting for sure. With set sizes, it's always going to be a balance of saggy when standing vs tight when sitting.
Id say that movement freedom when sitting is the main factor in size and fit.
Mine's pretty baggy when I'm walking around but comfy when sitting in a boat.
The other thing to bear in mind is that if it pulls tight, it created cold spots in the tight areas.
dave

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Sounds like its a bit small for you.

Neither of the suits you mention are kayak specific drysuits, so not cut for sitting down position and free range of upper body motion as a kayak specific drysuit should be.

Also neither have a twin waist for a spraydeck , which prevents water getting into the boat down the waist tube.

I notice the eezeedon is "not for use in chlorinated water" Im not sure but is Lee Valley chlorinated ?

Check out the typhoon multisport 4 or 5 instead. More expensive but highly regarded.

Simon

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:52 am

I use a Typhoon Hypercurve; you will definitely need the convenience zip. I'd also say go for the larger size.

It doesn't feature the double-breast but you don't get much water finding its way through the spraydeck's body tube. Especially if you apply a rim of liquid latex at the top of the waist tube in your spraydeck (don't coat the whole thing!)

The other option is whether to have latex socks, fabric socks or ankle seals; I'm pretty sure the latex socks are the best option. Be sure to wear some neoprene socks on your feet outside the drysuit to protect the latex socks from nips, and keep your toenails cut nicely ;)
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”