Weight to boat volume

Inland paddling
Davidcfc

Weight to boat volume

Post by Davidcfc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 am

Is it best to be nearer to the top or bottom end of a boat's recommended paddler weight range? I'm towards the upper end of the medium variant of the two boats I'm looking at, and about a third from the bottom of the larger size. What factors are affected by weight? Thanks.

Yew

Re: Weight to boat volume

Post by Yew » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:49 am

What's the boat? some boats paddle 'large' for their size, and others feel lal lot smaller than they actually are

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am

Davidcfc wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 am
Is it best to be nearer to the top or bottom end of a boat's recommended paddler weight range? I'm towards the upper end of the medium variant of the two boats I'm looking at, and about a third from the bottom of the larger size. What factors are affected by weight? Thanks.
There is no correct answer to this.
If you’re towards the bottom of a boats weight range it’ll be more stable. If you’re towards the top of the boats weight range, it’ll sit lower in the water and be more likey to catch edges.
For turning it depends. If you’re on the heavy side, the boat sits lower in the water = more water line below the water, makes it harder to turn. That said, if you’re a bit light for the boat, you may find that the extra length and weight is harder to throw around.
Punching holes; if you’re lighter in a boat, it’s more likely to skip over the top of holes, heavier, more likely to stick to the green.

Best option, as ever, is to try both and see what you think works. Don’t forget to put your normal kit in it too. If you always carry splits, make sure to put splits in it if weight is one of the things you’re looking at.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Davidcfc

Post by Davidcfc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

Yew wrote:What's the boat? some boats paddle 'large' for their size, and others feel lal lot smaller than they actually are
Either a burn or a wavesport diesel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Davidcfc

Post by Davidcfc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

Poke wrote:
Davidcfc wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 am
There is no correct answer to this.
If you’re towards the bottom of a boats weight range it’ll be more stable. If you’re towards the top of the boats weight range, it’ll sit lower in the water and be more likey to catch edges.
For turning it depends. If you’re on the heavy side, the boat sits lower in the water = more water line below the water, makes it harder to turn. That said, if you’re a bit light for the boat, you may find that the extra length and weight is harder to throw around.
Punching holes; if you’re lighter in a boat, it’s more likely to skip over the top of holes, heavier, more likely to stick to the green.

Best option, as ever, is to try both and see what you think works. Don’t forget to put your normal kit in it too. If you always carry splits, make sure to put splits in it if weight is one of the things you’re looking at.
Thanks

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:02 pm

It depends on what you're trying to do; if you want to get vertical easily then you want to be at the top end of the weight range. If you want to run rivers, you may want to be a bit more in the middle of the weight range.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Rae1

Post by Rae1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:22 pm

I had the Burn 3 l and was at the bottom of its weight range. I didnt get on with it, very little 'feel' when in WW.
I then got a Diesel 80 and was in the middle of that weight range and find it fine.
Obviously they are different boats that have different hull profiles so they cant be compared directly.
Best to try them out.

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 am

This question comes up a lot on the forum, I've probably asked it myself sometime in the past as I'm sort of in that area between Md and Large. As already stated there are no absolutely correct answers for you and although there is some good information on weight affecting handling in the thread, if you are within the recommendations (as you are)it doesn't mean the Md would feel like a half-sunken log and the Lg would float so high like a bobbing cork. The differences will be fairly conservative and your paddling will adapt to either very quickly. Both will be fine. Personally when I've paddled both sizes of boats in this context (Diesel 70 vs 80/Zen M or L/ Mamba M or L/Recons M or L and probably a few others I can't remember trying out over the years) I've usually preferred the Md (Diesel was the exception in the above list but then the 70 Diesel was just too small as I was at absolute top of the MD weight range). Somehow a boat nearing 9 foot just seems a bit too long to me, but that is just personal. One point that hasn't been mentioned I don't think, is initial comfort. In my experience if the boat feels comfortable from the off, then I can usually paddle it ok and it will work for me. Case in point. I always like Jacksons as Eric says 'here are the thigh-braces, that's where the boat is controlled, so build yourself around it'. Well don't know if he says that to be true but there's no adjustment of the thigh braces so you've no option anyway. It usually takes about 30 seconds to get about 90% final comfort. Last night I sat in a new Antix Large in the shop. It would never work for me in a thousand years. The knee position is much lower and much wider than his usual designs, almost obstetrician wide, and for me anyway, that never works. So my advice would be 1. Demo if you can. 2 If you can't, don't get too hung up on Md vs L, but at least sit in them and see what feels most comfortable and that DOESN'T always equate to the Large size. 3.Spend some time and patience getting it fitting perfectly for you. WildRiver (Sean) taught me this and it pays dividends over time. 4. Go paddle and enjoy.

Davidcfc

Post by Davidcfc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 am

Whitey1 wrote:This question comes up a lot on the forum, I've probably asked it myself sometime in the past as I'm sort of in that area between Md and Large. As already stated there are no absolutely correct answers for you and although there is some good information on weight affecting handling in the thread, if you are within the recommendations (as you are)it doesn't mean the Md would feel like a half-sunken log and the Lg would float so high like a bobbing cork. The differences will be fairly conservative and your paddling will adapt to either very quickly. Both will be fine. Personally when I've paddled both sizes of boats in this context (Diesel 70 vs 80/Zen M or L/ Mamba M or L/Recons M or L and probably a few others I can't remember trying out over the years) I've usually preferred the Md (Diesel was the exception in the above list but then the 70 Diesel was just too small as I was at absolute top of the MD weight range). Somehow a boat nearing 9 foot just seems a bit too long to me, but that is just personal. One point that hasn't been mentioned I don't think, is initial comfort. In my experience if the boat feels comfortable from the off, then I can usually paddle it ok and it will work for me. Case in point. I always like Jacksons as Eric says 'here are the thigh-braces, that's where the boat is controlled, so build yourself around it'. Well don't know if he says that to be true but there's no adjustment of the thigh braces so you've no option anyway. It usually takes about 30 seconds to get about 90% final comfort. Last night I sat in a new Antix Large in the shop. It would never work for me in a thousand years. The knee position is much lower and much wider than his usual designs, almost obstetrician wide, and for me anyway, that never works. So my advice would be 1. Demo if you can. 2 If you can't, don't get too hung up on Md vs L, but at least sit in them and see what feels most comfortable and that DOESN'T always equate to the Large size. 3.Spend some time and patience getting it fitting perfectly for you. WildRiver (Sean) taught me this and it pays dividends over time. 4. Go paddle and enjoy.
That's good advice. Thanks.

Gawage1

Post by Gawage1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 pm

I'd avoid being at the top end of the weight range of a Diesel from experience I think the top number they quite is too high

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Have heard a lot of people comment about having problems when near the top of the range for diesels, but I couldn't tell you which sizes or which model years.

I don't think my weight has anything to do with why I have never really clicked with my burn, previous owner got on well with it and is probably the same or heavier weight on account of being nearly a foot higher.

tape34

Post by tape34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:51 am

I'm around 11st / 70kg body weight and paddle a medium Burn 2. By the time I have paddling gear on I'll weight a fair bit more. I carry one bag with small first aid, gaffer tape and some warm things in winter. I can tell the difference in handling if I also carry splits in the back, it will try and catch back edges, it's not a major issue. We have a large Burn 2 as a club boat and it is quite big but surprisingly well liked by those who fill it ... I don't ususlly ask what weight they are!
Pete

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”