Pyranha B2 or wavesport diesel?

Inland paddling
Davidcfc

Pyranha B2 or wavesport diesel?

Post by Davidcfc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Having researched various boats I'm considering buying one of these two which are in my price range. Does anybody have any experience of paddling both, or recommendations about which is best please? I do ww at weirs, Nene etc at a basic level of competence and am looking to progress. Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BobbyR

Re: Pyranha B2 or wavesport diesel?

Post by BobbyR » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm

I've paddled both. What is best is very subjective. Try both and see?
I own a Diesel 70 and love it for 2/3 river running, in big waves and holes it needs to be driven hard or you'll suffer. I don't like the Burn II. I find the outfitting cheap and nasty. The handles on it are a joke. Paddling it is a bit meh but not atrocious. The only two owners i know are not too thrilled with them. The Burns seem very popular in the UK though. Not sure what that says.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Paddle both preferable back to back on water you wouls use them on, pick the one you like. Personally the diesel is not a nice paddle, give me a burn anyday but thats just me :)
I can roll :)

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Had the big diesel for years. Narrower than some? Bit wobbly initially ? I really liked it.
Jason

Gawage1

Post by Gawage1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 am

I had a diesel 80 and Pyranah Burn Large and preferred the Burn by a long way and would highly recommend

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 am

The Diesel is far better than the Burn that paddles like a slug, has cheap outfitting and falls apart.

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 am

As you can see, there's a lot of disagreement here, which reinforces the importance of trying out both boats for yourself. So much depends on your paddling style, build, what sort of rivers you'll be paddling, and just how a boat feels to you.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Burn. I can't say why except that it seems to do what I want more readily. It's true that the outfitting is cheap, but you can fix that with DIY if it bothers you that much.

The Burn may paddle like a slug compared to modern creekers, but I found it excellent for gaining confidence on grades 2 and 3.

Whatever you buy, make sure you get the right size for your physique. I like the medium Burn, but I can't control a large one.

(Though I liked the Burn, I ended up buying a Mamba, which tracks less well but is more manoeuvrable - very much a personal preference.)

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:47 am

Whatever you buy you will get used to it and eventually think it is great. Until you buy another boat.

Davidcfc

Post by Davidcfc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks for all the feedback. Fortunately I've discovered that my club has both boats. Paddled the diesel, really liked it and will try the burn next.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”