Is BCU Insurance valid on private reservoirs?

Inland paddling
DJFish

Is BCU Insurance valid on private reservoirs?

Post by DJFish » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi folks,
I've asked CE directly but whilst I'm awaiting their reply......
I’m a member of a sailing club based at a local reservoir.
Anyone sailing a boat on the lake needs to arrange third party liability insurance for their boat, they also allow paddling on the lake but still insist on any boats having insurance.
Would the third party liability that comes with BCU/CE membership cover me to paddle a kayak on the lake bearing in mind it’s a private reservoir?
I’m sure I read somewhere that CE insurance only covers inland waterways & canals with whom CE has an access agreement.

Cheers
Dave

DaveB

Re: Is BCU Insurance valid on private reservoirs?

Post by DaveB » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Please post the reply you get from BC. My understanding is that if you are an individual memebr of BC you have 3rd party cover for paddlesport anywhere in the world but if you are only a member of an affiliated club you are only covered on club sessions with the risk of a grey area when mates from a club get together to do their own thing. I see no reason why the fact that you are paddling on a private lake/reservoir/whatever should make any difference.

Shufflerschair

Post by Shufflerschair » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Don't know if this is useful, but here's a link to a summary for the different categories of BC membership

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/memb ... towergate/

The policy schedules and summaries are at the bottom of the page.

Shufflerschair

Post by Shufflerschair » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:44 pm

And, believe it or not, you will probably have some cover under the contents section of your home insurance.
Policies usually attach Liability cover to the contents section, as Tenants don't insure the buildings, but usually do cover their contents.

Liability cover usually extends to the Insured and family resident at the property, for their "Social, Domestic and Leisure Pursuits", and there's usually an Indemnity Limit of £2.5 million or so.
Some policies even extend the cover to members of the family that are at "Educational Establishments", so some of the Uni paddlers may have a route to cover that they hadn't realised.

Won't cover the provision of instruction or anything commercial, but it's a useful safety net for the average Club paddler.
In the event of a claim under the BC cover, they may involve your domestic insurer anyway, if their policy includes an indemnity for the event that occurred, under the "Principle of Contribution".
But, bear in mind, the cover afforded by a domestic policy is usually limited to "Geographical Limits", which is usually the UK.

Specific Travel Insurance, with the activity noted, would extend that to wherever you're going abroad.
The BC cover is worldwide, but with a 30 day limit for the USA and Canada.
Worth reading the policy document available on the link that I put on the last post, it's not a long document.
As it's a PDF, it may be worth printing out as well.

And, check your own domestic policy, some of the "Cheap and Cheerful's" of the online providers limit the cover, and don't offer the extensions, to keep the premiums down.

BC Waterways Env

Post by BC Waterways Env » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am

DJFish wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I’m sure I read somewhere that CE insurance only covers inland waterways & canals with whom CE has an access agreement.
The Third Party Liability Insurance that comes with British Canoeing membership covers you anytime you are out paddling - so in/on a SUP/Canoe/Kayak etc.

If the policy only covered managed-waterways or those where there was no dispute on navigation rights it wouldn't be able to cover you for Trespass claims in the way it does - https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/guid ... d-the-law/

However - If you are on a sailing club managed lake, and have their permission to be there if you have insurance, you could call that an Access Agreement anyway!
DaveB wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:16 pm
My understanding is that if you are an individual memebr of BC you have 3rd party cover for paddlesport anywhere in the world but if you are only a member of an affiliated club you are only covered on club sessions with the risk of a grey area when mates from a club get together to do their own thing.
This is the case - as a full member you are covered by the insurance wherever / whatever you paddle. As an affiliated member (usually any member of an affiliated club who is not also a full member) you are covered only on officially sanctioned club activities. This is where clubs need to be careful in how events/sessions are advertised. Peer paddles, even if everyone in the group is a member of the club, are not covered under affiliate membership. Clubs can advertise Peer Paddles and other 'non-official' club events (e.g. other clubs events, socials, anything!) on their websites/Facebook/newsletters - but just include a simple note to say 'this is [or isn't] a club event'.

Best wishes, Chris (chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk)

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Nice one Chris - good reply.
Ian

DJFish

Post by DJFish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Smashing, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”