Drybags

Inland paddling
CreekingCreepers

Drybags

Post by CreekingCreepers » Sun May 21, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm looking for a new drybag. I want to use a single drybag in the back of my boat for some on river essentials. Obviously i want the contents to remain dry even if i take a swim.

Please recommend me one?

I was thinking about something like this Ortlieb drybag but noticed that it's only IP64. I was expecting a decent drybag to be IPx7 or above.

Colin C

Re: Drybags

Post by Colin C » Sun May 21, 2017 5:22 pm

If it must stay dry and you expect the bag to be immersed, than double bag it, or look at Watershed bags, as in my experience roll top dry bags, still let a little in, even when rolled a good few times, but it depends on how long that bag is in the water etc.

Colin

BobbyR

Post by BobbyR » Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 pm

We went on a long multiday recently (with many swims and leaky boats) with lots of different drybags. Results were interesting.

Those ortlieb bags (without values) were hopeless. Difficult to roll tight and mine got three holes in it.

The most airtight rolltop was the Sea to Summit UltraSil Drybags. Very easy to get the air out and roll tight but quite thin material.

The Sea to Summit BigRiver drybags were excellent. Tough material and rolled nice and tight. I bought 2 more when i got home.

But the best was the Watershed Ocoee drybag. Brilliant. I put all the electronics in there with full confidence.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Mon May 22, 2017 5:06 am

Another vote for the watershed - I used HF for many years (still do on day trips). I was really reluctant to move to watershed, but now will not go back.

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 pm

I've had a mix over the years:
- My camera gear goes in a Watershed bag, and it's been great, though a friend has had an issue with one.
- The best general dry bag I've had is a SealLine Baja bag,had it since 2000 and it's still going strong.
- The new Ortlieb bags are nicely built, a bit more flexible than the Baja, but a little less durable.

The ratings aren't of massive importance, in my opinion. Durability's the biggy, so the UltraSil ones (siliconised nylon) would be great inside something else as a secndary layer, but I wouldn't use them on their own in my boat.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon May 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Look no further than watershed. They're not cheap, but they're very well built and very waterproof (no roll top bag is truly waterproof). You can fill the Watershed bags with air, seal them, then stand/sit on them and no air will leak out. Same can’t be said for most other designs.

I dropped my boat into the Beas (continuous powerful himalayan ww) a few years ago with my SLR in a Watershed Ocoee. By the time I'd caught up with it and got it to the side (I jumped in my buddies kayak and gave chase) it had done 2km by itself, but the camera was fortunately bone dry.

I did have an issue with one of mine (manufacturing issue where the seams weren’t sealed properly) but the importer (System X I think) were excellent and sent me out a replacement very rapidly)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Franky

Post by Franky » Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Pyro wrote:I've had a mix over the years:
- The best general dry bag I've had is a SealLine Baja bag,had it since 2000 and it's still going strong.
I think I had a SealLine dry bag until I lost it. Whatever it was, it was the only dry bag I've had that was truly dry. It had a rubbery seal that stayed shut as though it was glued. I used to keep a digital SLR in it in the days when I did a lot of flatwater paddling.

When I lost it, I looked for an identical replacement in shops, but nowhere stocked it. Whereas the SealLine (if it was that) only needed folding over 3 times, all the bags I've had since then need folding over as many darn times as you can manage, and they still let a bit of water in. I don't know why they don't make them all with rubber seals.

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 am

Franky wrote:I don't know why they don't make them all with rubber seals.
Try a watershed. Not only are the seals rubber, but they are like a massive meaty zip-lock. No precision rolling required at all.

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Poke wrote:
Franky wrote:I don't know why they don't make them all with rubber seals.
Try a watershed. Not only are the seals rubber, but they are like a massive meaty zip-lock. No precision rolling required at all.
Like I say, I love my Watershed bag for camera gear, but I think they're overkill for most stuff

Especially when the Baja's under £20.

https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/sealline ... g-10l.html
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Pyro wrote: I love my Watershed bag for camera gear, but I think they're overkill for most stuff
You're right, but I guess it depends how much disposable income you have and what your priorities are.
After a trip, I'd want to unpack most dry bags to dry out the insides (somewhat ironically).
A watershed you could just throw in your kit bag and get it out next time, and the contents wouldn't be mouldy.

Franky

Post by Franky » Tue May 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Pyro wrote: Like I say, I love my Watershed bag for camera gear, but I think they're overkill for most stuff

Especially when the Baja's under £20.

https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/sealline ... g-10l.html
The bag I had was transparent, like an EcoSee.

But thinking about it, I don't think it was a Sealline after all. No idea what it was. Transparent, thick plastic, rubber seal, black base - that's all I remember. Wasn't expensive either.

Currently I have a Peak bag. It has a velcro seal and is drier than most, but you have to make sure it's rolled up tightly. I didn't need to worry about that with my first, much-missed, bag.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”