newbie 'HI' fitting advice

Inland paddling
hamster86

newbie 'HI' fitting advice

Post by hamster86 »

hey, just thought id say hi,

recently got back into kayaking, since last doing it a school 15+ years a go
been paddling round in a old mountain bat. ive since upgraded to a l/logic airhead and a burn 2.

ive got a slight issue with the burn. with my seating position where it ought to be so i can get a good grip on the thigh/knee area the kayak feels really unstable, if i move the seat furthest back its stable but dont have the grip in the knee/ thigh area, is this likely to be in my head or would it be better for the boat to feel a bit more edgy and something to just get used to. thanks

The_Fod

Re: newbie 'HI' fitting advice

Post by The_Fod »

The Burn series of kayaks is known for it's hard edges - it might be possible that you're leaning and engaging the edges when you don't mean to.

What do you mean by unstable? Does it always feel like it's trying to tip you in, or does it only happen if you lean backwards/put it on edge/etc? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where on the weight range are you?

hamster86

Post by hamster86 »

I'm sure it's in my head. It seems to want to constantly turn. It's most likely down to where my pressure points are.

I'm 5'10" 12 stone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jim

Post by Jim »

Never paddled a burn 2 but I am a similar height although much heavier and when I got my burn (L) from a friend who is going on 7' high my instinct was move the seat right forward because my legs are much shorter. The result of this was that as I paddle along the burn seems almost to be slower than its own wake, and the wake picks up the stern and pushes it round past the bow. Or to put it another way, it seems to want to constantly turn. Sea kayakers (i.e. me) would describe it as like paddling in a quartering sea the whole time - with waves coming from the stern quarter, many sea kayaks will suffer the same issue of the stern overtaking the bow unless you deploy a skeg or rudder or deliberately trim the boat stern heavy before leaving shore.

As you have found the solution is to move the seat and footrest back so the burn trims less by the bow (I haven't looked at myself, but I assume the trim ends up fairly level rather than down at the stern) and is reasonable to control.

So, one thing to look for is adjustment in the thigh braces - I assume they are fitted and you haven't got a secondhand boat with some bits missing and are just trying to engage under the cockpit rim nstead of the pads. I honestly can't recall what adjustment the burn thigh braces have, but I remember noting that there is a screw in them so there must be some :)
The seating position is really wide knees so if you are used to an old magic bat you might find you need to bring the footrest closer still so that your knees are pushed more out to the sides and under the sides of the cockpit rather than the front of it. Hopefully you will feel some padding up there which indicates your knees are in the right area.

It may be that you need a smaller size of burn (like I say mine is a L mkI I have no idea if the mkIIs are relatively bigger for the same size?), or it may be that the boat simply doesn't fit you or suit your sytyle of paddling. If I'm honest, the burn doesn't really suit my style properly, having my knees so wide apart just feels wrong and restrictive, but I am certainly able to get tight enough in it, and it does work.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

hamster86 wrote:I'm sure it's in my head. It seems to want to constantly turn. It's most likely down to where my pressure points are.
Assuming this is happening on moving water, the following 3 words matter....

Trim, Trim, and, you guessed it, TRIM.

If you put your seat all the way back then the kayak will continuously want to turn round so its heaviest point in the water is downstream (i.e. facing backwards if it's stern-heavy)

Pad out your thigh braces with closed-cell foam to make them more comfortable. Possibly adjust the seat height.

Conversely, if you move the seat too far forward then you're sat in the area of the kayak where the coaming is higher, making it harder to roll.
Last edited by TechnoEngineer on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

hamster86

Post by hamster86 »

Thanks jim. Lot to take in there. I tried a large burn and it was horrid to paddle. My old burn 1 medium felt so much more planted in comparison.
I've since made up some foam blocks to push my knees more towards the rim of the boat rather than on the outsiders which seems to be better although may have to move the seat back again.
I launched off a jetty the other night and it twisted so ended up going in the water slightly sideways. Might be it needs a few more tweaks to get it dialled in properly. Either way it's still not right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”