New rules for driving in France

Inland paddling
Poke

New rules for driving in France

Post by Poke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Whilst paying my tolls for my Easter trip, I came across the following, which may be of use if you're planning an Alps trip:
New Law for Driving in France - Deadline date 31st March 2017
The French government have launched a new scheme for all cars driving in Paris and other French cities (currently Lyon and Grenoble) which will include British registered cars.
From 31/03/2017 your car needs to display an emissions sticker showing the age and cleanliness of your vehicle.
If your vehicle does not display the sticker you could face hefty on the spot fines.
The anti-pollution sticker can only be ordered on-line from the official Crit’ Air website
http://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr
Also, if you're heading out there and find the tolls a pain in the a$$, then there is a company in the UK selling the tags which allow you to use the automatic "Liber-T" lanes. It doesn't make it any cheaper, but it means that you don't have to fanny around with cards/cash and finding your ticket at each toll booth, especially if your passenger is sleeping.

In terms of costs, I think there's a refundable €20 deposit on the tag, and a €6 fee for every month in which the tag is used (up to a total of €12/year).

If you want one, sign up using the following link and we both get €5 off each of our fees: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscrip ... 3-34723758

Thanks!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

BigPhil

Re: New rules for driving in France

Post by BigPhil » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm

When you say in the city, I presume this is only relevant if you actually want to go in and do a little sightseeing? It won't affect the normal route down to briancon for instance?

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:50 pm

BigPhil wrote:When you say in the city, I presume this is only relevant if you actually want to go in and do a little sightseeing? It won't affect the normal route down to briancon for instance?
Yeah, if you're steaming through on the Autoroute, i can't imagine it'd be an issue...
Just if you pick someone up from an airport/station, or stop for a supermarket shop in the wrong place
I can't find a map on the website though, frustratingly, so can't see where the restriction actually applies.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:11 pm

That map seems to contain old data – i.e. it claims you don’t need one of those stickers unless a “pollution event” is ongoing.

Although if the information about the area given in that map is correct, if travelling to Briancon, you are very likely to be travelling through the area in Grenoble where one of the stickers is required, even if you stick to the autoroute.

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 pm

I believe there's a similar scheme around central London but I haven't driven in London in years. How would they police it?

There seems to be an endless list of things that the French want you to carry which changes every year but I've never been pulled over there in over 20 years of bad English driving with lots of boats and no clear idea of where I'm going!

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:23 pm

BigPhil wrote:I believe there's a similar scheme around central London but I haven't driven in London in years. How would they police it?

There seems to be an endless list of things that the French want you to carry which changes every year but I've never been pulled over there in over 20 years of bad English driving with lots of boats and no clear idea of where I'm going!
London is policed by Number Recognition Software which then checks the age and fuel of your vehicle. Blunt instrument I know but something has to be done.

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Information on areas etc here:

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information- ... tml#c29520

The whole thing could be a challenge for lease vehicle drivers as they don't typically have access to the v5c.

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

box2k2 wrote:Information on areas etc here:

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information- ... tml#c29520
Well, in that case it looks like (in theory) you do need the sticker to drive through Grenoble... even on the toll road.
That said, we've just come back from the Alps via that area though with no bother (and no sticker).
crit-air.fr wrote:The vignette Crit’Air will be also mandatory on the highway around Grenoble

According to an announcement from the city of Grenoble, the vignette Crit’Air will also be mandatory on the highways crossing the conurbation Grenoble-Metropole. The obligation of having the vignette Crit’Air begins northerly from the toll station of Voreppe on the A48, southward from the toll station of Le Crozet/Vif on the A51 and westerly from the toll station of Crolles on the A41. The A480, which crosses the city of Grenoble, is also concerned.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Grenoble,+France

To be fair, even if I got one of those stickers, I'm not sure how I'd know whether or not I was allowed to drive in a certain place or not!

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 am

From my reading, there are signs which will have details of the restrictions below them. It does seem however that each town/region can set it's own restrictions, so the whole thing is a mess.

It would appear there is an app that someones put together, but I've not looked at it.

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 am

As ever there seem to be various people trying to make money out of the issuing of these certificates this site :- https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

appears to be the official one and is in English and allows you to order a vignette for €4.80 including postage to the UK subject to you sending a digital copy of your V5/registration doc (compared to some sites charging about €30 for the same thing!)

Process appears to be that everyone needs a sticker to be enter a zone (and the autoroute around Grenoble is included) and once you have the sticker then you are free to drive unless their is a restriction in place that affects your class of vehicle which should in theory be displayed on signs on the roads, but some confusion over that bit!

It looks like it is a one time process to get the sticker i.e. not an annual thing, but not totally clear on that.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

And it can be quite tricky to establish when the rule come into force since this may only be when peak pollution levels have been reached, until then you may get away without the vignette

The ZPA environmental zone Lille

As of June 1, 2017, a ZPA environmental zone will be introduced in the metropolitan area of Lille. This ZPA zone will only be activated in the case of an air pollution peak. The potential air pollution peaks will be announced – as in the case of other ZPA zones in France – by the responsible prefect of the region (département). In the case of Lille, this would be the prefect of the Département Hauts-de-France, who would signal the alarm when the fine dust particles and nitrogen oxide emission values exceed the limit of 80 µg/m³.

In this ZPA zone, the Crit’Air vignette is obligatory for all types of vehicles (trucks, buses, private vehicles, light utility vehicles, and light vehicles of two or three wheels).
The prefect decides, depending on the level of air pollution, which colors of vignette (i.e., which categories) are allowed to drive in the zone during the air pollution peak and which are not. In general, it will be the case that vignettes 5 and eventually 4 will be excluded from accessing the zone. If pollution worsens, then the prefect can additionally decide that higher vignette categories shall also be excluded from traffic. This means that a temporary exclusion of even and odd plate numbers is possible.
As soon as the air pollution peak retreats, that is, when the emissions values are again under the established limits for the alarm stage, the prefect will cancel the ZPA zone. The previously valid traffic restrictions and circulation bans will no longer be valid at this point.

Every infringe against this measure will be punished with a contravention of the 2nd class, which means by a financial fine of 35 Euros, according to the articles L.325-1 to L.325-3 and R. 411-19 of the French traffic regulation code.

The extension of the ZPA environmental zone of Lille

The ZPA environmental zone in Lille entails 648 km², encompassing the whole metropolitan area of Lille. This affects 89 cities and municipalities with 1.14 million inhabitants. You can find an overview of the affected cities and municipalities here.

In the eastern and northern area, the ZPA environmental zone is limited by the French-Belgian border. In the southern and western area, through the borders of the metropolitan area.
The following highways are located inside the environmental zone: Highway A25 (from Dunkerque) and the A22 from Lille and toward Ghent; the A27 from Lille to Brussels as well as the A1 to Paris and the A23 to Valenciennes.

It is of particular importance to note that most traffic coming from Brussels or Ghent goes mostly toward the Calais tunnel through the highway A25 and A27, thus having to cross the ZPA zone of Lille.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”