Safety

Inland paddling
Dave Manby

Safety

Post by Dave Manby »

Can I recommend this as a read - read the accounts you may learn stuff or realise that the perceived wisdom my not be right! I always tell people who ask me what the best white water safety book is and my reply is you can buy the text books and learn the theory and then they can buy the best of AWA safety task force reports and learn from others' mistakes. I learnt stuff from doing this. Example: account of someone running a drop on the Gauley in an open boat. Got pinned and slid down the boat and ended up wrapped around the middle thwart. No one could get a line to him or paddle out to him. Eventually he remembered he had a throw line clipped around the front thwart. He managed to reach it and clip it and let the line flow out so others could connect to this line and pull him free. How long did this take - the account says no one is sure if he came free because the line was connected or the message to the dam had reduced the flow (pre cell phone days). So I don't store my throw line behind my seat in my kayak!

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Safety/view/

mostly_upsidedown

Re: Safety

Post by mostly_upsidedown »

It's an interesting, if scary read. Brings us back to the age-old question of why it is that BC don't do anything to collate or analyse accidents or near misses.

I know we are generally fearful of anything that might result in more regulation, but it would be good to have some idea of what proportion of incidents were tree-related snags, occurred in spate, on weirs, simple bad luck etc.

Similarly, WWSR is a great course, but I wonder how the syllabus is determined; can it really be that the content is based on anecdote/experience as opposed to cold hard evidence? And how do equipment manufacturers make kit safer if we don't have any idea of what's causing fatalities and therefore what design improvements are necessary? Slip-plane technology is being heavily (and misleadingly) marketed as an important feature in helmets, but meanwhile everyone's chin straps are too loose and BA's are still a mass of snag hazards.

Poke

Post by Poke »

mostly_upsidedown wrote:It's an interesting, if scary read. Brings us back to the age-old question of why it is that BC don't do anything to collate or analyse accidents or near misses.
There's some good discussion about it from a few years ago here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109986

Interestingly, they have just started doing this:
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/abou ... reporting/

There is some recent discussion about the recently set up file here: viewtopic.php?p=794460#p794460
My view on it is that it is a good idea, but they're going about it in the wrong way (and possibly for the wrong reasons).
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

From the previous thread in Feb 2014. I posted this.

I tried to set this up in the 80s and the BCU safety committee (Which I suppose I am still the chair but it seems to have been side-stepped by the coaching director) did have a press watch of all canoe based incidents. Stuart Fisher at "Canoeist" magazine ran a "incident file" in the magazine for many years which was good. The main trouble is/was the press is not a reliable source of information and also as stated in some of the other posts neither are the general public if you open the forum to anyone.

I always used to say that the best book on white water safety was the annual "Best of the AWA safety task force" books. It made me stop putting my throw bag behind me in the kayak after reading about the open boater who pinned on the Gauley. You would have to find a copy of the first Task force report book to read that one and I lent it to someone never to be returned.

Round and round we go in the circle game!

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

This is a useful if depressing read. I looked at the 2016 entries. The number of times that people were on the water ill prepared in terms of ability or equipment is surprising. There was one example where a swimmer went past two groups of kayakers who did not intervene or even check that he was ok.
All the usual scratches...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”