Are there any decent electic pumps for inflatable SUPs?

Inland paddling
scottdog007

Are there any decent electic pumps for inflatable SUPs?

Post by scottdog007 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:37 am

I'm looking to purchase a decent electric pump for inflating 10 Stand Up Paddle boards. Anyone got any suggestions of good pumps.

I do not want a pump that will burn out after running 10 minutes. I'm expecting pumping to take approx. 3 minutes per board. I just cannot find anything on the market out there.

Cheers.

bouncyboatbloke

Re: Are there any decent electic pumps for inflatable SUPs?

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi, I haven't used one, but there's lots of advice here,
http://www.isupworld.com/top-3-electric-pumps/
Do need battery operation for remote inflation, or do have mains power at the inflation site?
Have you thought perhaps about a compressor, you can generally set the required inflation level on them, and they'll have a tank full of air ready when you need it.
I have a couple of "cheapo " ones for my kayaks that just do the donkey work of getting the volume into them, then I take over for the final few, up to pressure strokes.
Mike

Jason SUP

Post by Jason SUP » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:17 pm

FYI I would strongly caution against buying the Airhead that was recommended in the article you posted, bouncyboatbloke. The build quality of that pump is very poor and it is extremely unreliable. I would recommend either of these two pumps: http://www.inflatableboarder.com/electric-sup-pump/

Hope this helps. Hppy paddling.

-Jason

EztigerUK

Post by EztigerUK » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 am

Hi I bought the bravo 12 last year off of an eBay shop. I was struggling to find one that could deal with 20 psi for my board and this one fits the bill. It has automatic cut off which I'm still paranoid about in case it over inflates. So when I think it should be ready I turn it down and it cuts out ! Turn it back up and finish the board. The only grumble I have with it is the connector to the board. Two rings are supplied but I still have to hold it on to make sure no air escapes.
And hey it deflates too which is a bonus for repacking.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:03 pm

EztigerUK wrote:Hi I bought the bravo 12 last year off of an eBay shop. I was struggling to find one that could deal with 20 psi for my board and this one fits the bill. It has automatic cut off which I'm still paranoid about in case it over inflates. So when I think it should be ready I turn it down and it cuts out ! Turn it back up and finish the board. The only grumble I have with it is the connector to the board. Two rings are supplied but I still have to hold it on to make sure no air escapes.
And hey it deflates too which is a bonus for repacking.
I have now bought the Bravo BTP12 digital electric pump which is a dual pump (piston and turbine) it goes to 14.5 psi reasonably quickly. They state normal pressure is 15 - 20 psi which takes for ages with the hand pump. I've been finding 13 - 14 psi is perfect for me at 80 Kg.

This weekend I will be using in earnest as I have 8 to pump up for a festival giving taster sessions. My concern is over heating the pump and melting the membrane inside so I will need cool down periods for the pump. So this will be the first time I will have really used it.

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I have used a stihl petrol blower to inflate rafts quickly, never had any issues with over heating, just start with the valves in the open position, close when almost at pressure and then finish with tour hand pump. Used to inflate 5-10 16ft raft flotilla

They aren't cheap but last well and take abuse they also do lithium ion rechargeable ones too less maintenance now

Jason SUP

Post by Jason SUP » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:36 am

Hi Peter, just wondering how the Bravo BTP12 is holding up for you. Is it still working well?

FYI, Scoprega recently released their Bravo GE 2 which is a beast of a pump. It's heavy and expensive, but it's performing better than any of the other iSUP pumps I've tested. Also, it has a built-in battery which gives you the added convenience of being able to inflate anywhere.

-Jason

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Wow, been away for a while so just seen this post aimed at me. My pump BTP12 has worked well, but I have only used it for 2 or 3 SUPs one after another. I had planned to pump up 10 SUPs in a row on many occasions but this all changed.

Basically I read an article where someone pumped up many SUPs with this pump and the plastic diaphragm melted or came unglued due to the heat. The pump was improved. So between each sup I would give a minite or 2 break to allow it cool down.

Also an annoying thing was that the pump was rated to 15 psi max for when it turned off, but in fact only reached 13 psi. Luckily 13 was sufficient for my weight.

Sorry for replying so late.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”