Thule Wing bar vs Whisp Bar

Inland paddling
C1pete

Thule Wing bar vs Whisp Bar

Post by C1pete » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm

I was looking at getting a new roof rack and want the wing bar style so that it doesn't matter too much if I leave them on the car during the week when I am not off paddling. I stumbled across Whisp Bars, they seem to be massive in America and claim they are the original wing bar with better performance than Thule. They are less money and seem to be of the same quality but I was just wondering if anyone else has tried them out and if the claims are true?

stowei

Re: Thule Wing bar vs Whisp Bar

Post by stowei » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 am

I use a Whisp bar and it is fine. However, I can't say that I have ever thought very much about it or compared it to anything else. It does its job fine.

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am

cheers, do you leave it on all the time and does it effect mpg much if you do?

Dunmail

Post by Dunmail » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 am

I have Whisp Bars and they're fine. Leave them on all the time, so no idea exactly how it affects mpg, but get close to manufacturer figures so can't be too bad!

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:22 am

cheers, that's good enough for me, think I will go for it.

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Am interested to know if you think they make a difference compared to square section bars. For my current car, the Thule feet for the rack are so lumpy and non-aero, I reckoned the aero bars were not worth the extra cost. The current set up is pretty noisy when there isn't a boat or roof box on. I am getting a new car soon with closed roof rails which will require new feet for the rack so it's a good time to review options. Thanks

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Father Christmas brought me a set of generic aero roof bars for my new car and they're now a permanent fixture on the car. There's no noticeable difference to fuel economy (then again, I never noticed anything with the old fashioned square bars on my old car) and I haven't noticed any wind noise from them when driving.

However, one drawback I have come across is that because they're quite wide and made from brushed aluminium it's hard to fasten a boat (I've yet to try multiple boats) securely in place without it sliding side to side a bit on the bars because of the lack of friction between boat/bar. At some point I will need to get some sort of non-slip covers to make life easier.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:43 pm

My Thule aero wing bat has a centre rubber strip which reduces any slippage. Primarily I went for Thule because of the hydro glide attachments which I already had, if your looking to transport a sea kayak, canoe or longer boat then there is an advantage, but less obvious for a small ww boat. No noise from mine but I dont drive that fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:07 pm

sunstreaker wrote:My Thule aero wing bat has a centre rubber strip which reduces any slippage. Primarily I went for Thule because of the hydro glide attachments which I already had, if your looking to transport a sea kayak, canoe or longer boat then there is an advantage, but less obvious for a small ww boat. No noise from mine but I dont drive that fast!
I have Thule wing bars too (with the rubber strip) and have never had any problems with slippage.

There's a bit of noise in certain conditions but I can't work out exactly what they are. Seems to be in very cold weather for some reason. But it's very rare and not unbearably irritating.

As for effect on mpg, I'd say it's minimal compared to other factors like having the car heater on, or driving in winter when the engine takes longer to warm up. I have my roof bars on all the time.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:55 am

I've got the Thule wing bars as well, permanently on, no noise, little if any mpg loss (its a q7 so already a fairly large cross sectional area though the Cd is pretty good) . I can't hear any extra noise from the bars when windows and sunroof are open, and I've tried motorway speeds to see.. I get more noise from the window wind deflectors that the previous owner had installed, than the racks or mounts

Definitely a lot quieter than Thule square bars, I had those on the A4 for years and the slots were huge noise makers, and the footpack I had was noisy too.. Current 753 footpack is quiet. Have had no issues with boats moving sideways or forwards once tied properly with good compression straps.

Have had no experience with the alternate quiet bars, but if you've got anything that already matches the Thule family of products go for the Thule. I have two bike racks, and using the slot bolts is so much more secure than the around-bar grips.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”