First dry suit

Inland paddling
Beth3754

First dry suit

Post by Beth3754 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi,

So it's getting very cold outside and I have come to the realisation that I really could do with a dry suit for all my upside down moments. The problem is that I haven't got any idea what sort of thing I should be looking for. Are there any features I should be looking out for or types you'd recommend? I'm trying to buy quite a lot of kit at once so I'd ideally want a suit that wouldn't break the bank. I'd preferably want a women's suit but have heard it might be possible to buy a smaller size in a men's.

chriscw

Re: First dry suit

Post by chriscw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:04 pm

If you can get to a shop where you can try some for size and easy of getting in and out that is a good first step. Some of the cheaper ones do seem to be pretty good.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Beth, once you've spent a winter in a dry suit you never go back!
Try on your mates if you can. Go to a shop with a variety to try on if possible.
My first drysuit money was tight and I bought the cheapest one I could find which turned out ok. Some are definitely better than others. Talk to people you paddle with. Female paddlers in our club do prefer female cut clothing.
Jason

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Beth, you need to consider the practical things like needing to go for a pee. If this is on your list then you need to look into options. So your options are a drop seat, and I think Peak also do the leg zip thing, or you could use a man's suit with a "she wee", this gives you many more options of cost and quality and cut. The woman's suits tend to be mid to upper price range. I dont know all the details but a thing you need to consider before parting with money. The woman I know all prefer a suit cut and designed for a woman.

Colin

Beth3754

Post by Beth3754 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice :). I was wondering if anyone has used palm dry suits before? If so what do you think? Are they water tight and do they tend to last?

I'm considering either the palm atom or palm element women's dry suits. The atom seems to be an updated version of the element but I was wondering if the updates are actually worth the additional cost. I'd be able to try an atom on in a local store but would have to buy the element online.

There seems to be a limited choice of women's dry suits on the market which is disappointing. I like the look of the drop seat style ones but then this narrows the options down again and these two palm ones are the only suits I can find with this fitting.

Thanks

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:20 pm

My Palm Stikine drysuit is still absolutely bone dry heading in to it's 4th winter season with no need for any new zips or seals etc. I can't really comment on any of your other questions but I'd echo Chris's comments above about making sure you try on a variety of suits before you buy so you know that you end up with a suit that worls for you and is a good fit because they do tend to vary considerably in shape/size across the different brands.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Gul do one and Kokatat. Element has a design flaw causing the inside of the legs to wear through very quickly (I killed one in less than a year) especially if you are short. Atom has this fixed. Drop seats are great, peak inside leg zip and ones that do up around the waist ie typhoon should work too :)
I can roll :)

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Immersion Research do an excellent female cut drysuit. https://www.immersionresearch.eu/store/ ... -dry-suit/

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 pm

stonercanoe wrote:Hi Beth, once you've spent a winter in a dry suit you never go back!
My shortie cag on 29th December 2015 says otherwise... :D

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Palm ladies element dry suit review - http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/ladi ... it-review/

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Above all else get one that fits! Men's drysuits don't fit me at all, the arms are too long and end up being baggy and annoying, and I'm also stupidly short which most manufacturers don't cater for.
The drop seat is amazing, but you will pay extra for it and it limits your options since I think it's just Kokatat and Palm that do them.
Brands: Kokatat are worth every penny (three years and my suit is as dry as the day I bought it), but there's a lot of pennies required. Personally, I have never seen a Palm cag or drysuit that stayed dry for more than a few months BUT lots of people swear by them. Peak and Typhoon get a good rep on their fabrics, but Peak suits tend to eventually leak at the knees. IR is also worth a look, though I don't know anything about their longevity. Dam X are heavy weight and not breathable, but they are hard wearing and and made to measure. As far as I'm aware Lomo and Yak give you what you pay for.
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”