pool sessions

Inland paddling
stonercanoe

pool sessions

Post by stonercanoe » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Our club pay nearly £70 for a 1 hour pool session. We currently charge £3 for under 16 and £5 for over 16 yr old. Most sessions we lose money so the club subsidises each pool session.
Part of our fund raising is to enable us to do this. Our AGM is soon, and we are going to ask the members to put the price up.
What do other clubs pay for pool use, do you have to use that organization's lifeguard, how much do you charge?
Looking for some ideas.
Jason

feedbackproblem

Re: pool sessions

Post by feedbackproblem » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 pm

We charge £5 for an hour at our pool sessions, the drop-in / pay and play sessions are only open to club members but we give blocks of "beginner" coaching to non-members looking to start out. Another club I regularly paddle with charges £5 to members and £6 to non-members (pay and play - no coaching included) and I think that another local club charges £5 to members and £8 to non-members (pay and play - no coaching included). West Yorks area.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Wow you guys have it cheap.
Okay, not comparing apples and apples here, but we stump up $20 for an hour of polo due to pool costs. Okay the Canadian conversion rate isn't great, but still #,5 or 8 quid sounds like a steal.

When I get moaned at for the cost of an hour I always compare with other [niche] fun activity costs for an hour. Climbing wall, ski hill etc.

Probably doesn't help much, but seriously, 3 quid is less than a pint for an hour's fun and use of facilities. I'd say double it.
dave

Girdles

Post by Girdles » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:06 pm

The club I used to go Charge;
£9.00 for 50 minutes, £13.00 to stay for the 2 x 50 min sessions
£11.00 for 50 minutes, £22.00 to stay for both sessions for a non member.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:21 am

Our club charges £2, £4 or £6 (junior, member, non member) for a 100min pool session. Session is split into 20min blocks. get at least 2 sessions in a boat, usually 3 occasionally more. Coaches available to those who request it.
If numbers are low we make a loss but you get more time in a boat.
The pool provides the lifeguard. Don't know what the pool charge us

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 am

One club is £7 per 30 minute session, the other is £6 per 40 minute session.

The more expensive one also stores boats at the pool.....

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Eggy_the_Viking

Post by Eggy_the_Viking » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:27 am

Currently visiting two clubs pool sessions;

One I'm a member of charges £4 per session for members only, they have several throughout the week and coaches go free.

The other club charges £5/hour for both members and non-members.

Any more than a fiver and I wouldn't bother going.

Eggy_the_Viking

Post by Eggy_the_Viking » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:30 am

Currently visiting two clubs pool sessions;

One I'm a member of charges £4 per session for members only, they have several throughout the week and coaches go free. The other club charges £5/hour for both members and non-members. On all bar one of the sessions do we use the pools lifeguards, for the session without lifeguards it's a junior sessions and we have plenty of coaches and volunteers to cover safety.

Any more than a fiver and I wouldn't bother going.

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Our club charges £7 per session for members, and £8 for non members. This includes coaching and kit if needed.

Also worth noting that we offer a bulk discount of 21 sessions for £60 (members) of £45 (coaches), and that our annual club membership is only £10 (£15 for non BCU members)

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Pool sessions are £4 hour for a general session were coaching is available, £6 for the polo hour as there are fewer spaces available

Members only

Coaches are identifiable but there is also a pool lifeguard in the cost of the open session

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 am

The two pool pool sessions I go to charge £5 an hour. The one I know the costs on are charged roughly £50 per hour for the pool.

Another local pool session that I don't often go to are paying nearly three times that for use of the pool (though it is a slightly larger pool).

In both cases, the pools could probably earn more for those hours hiring the pool out for kids parties etc (though I suspect the kayaking income is more predictable and reliable).

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Pool sessions are free at our club, and limited to 3 per member out of each block of 12 or so. There are coaches and a pool lifeguard. Unfortunately they all book up very quickly, which is frustrating when some people then don't turn up. I do wonder if a small charge would be fairer but appreciate that it would increase the hassle for the club officers.

kkjfd

Post by kkjfd » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:19 pm

We charge the same as the OP - £3 juniors, £5 adults. We have two pool sessions a week (£65 for 1 1/4 hours on a Wednesday evening (polo session), £32.50 for Saturday morning (general practice) - although that price is discounted because we are a "local community club"). We have no problem covering the cost of the sessions although the Saturday's effectively subsidise the Wednesday's. There is such a demand that we also run additional Sunday evening sessions at least once a month. Occasionally we have to limit numbers on a Saturday - max allowed 30. You have to be a member but thats cheap - £28/year individual, £44 one adult/one child, £60 full family (adults plus kids. . . .)

All equipment is provided, including polo although you can bring your own to either session. Coaching is available Saturdays and we have pool lifeguards at all sessions.

To help budget we also have a standing order scheme - if you commit to paying for a full year its £9/month juniors, £15/month seniors so if you are really keen you can have 8 sessions a month for £15 - but then you pay whether you attend or not. It works for us.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”