What Paddle?

Inland paddling
BryanF

What Paddle?

Post by BryanF »

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a 200cm right hand cranked WW kayaking paddle this week and want to get some last minute advice.....So here it goes! What paddle to choose? there are so many on the market, I am slightly at a loss. I do have one brand I am leaning towards but want to get peoples views on it first.

thanks

DaveBland

Re: What Paddle?

Post by DaveBland »

VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE, VE,

Did I mention VE?

They are not only f'ing amaze-balls to paddle with, totally bomb-proof and killer cool – but they are British.

Just do it and be happy forever.
dave

davek

Post by davek »

I've got a pair of VE Cranks - now 6 years old and been heavily abused ("punting", used as walking sticks, trapped between rocks and so on...) with scarcely a sign of wear. I looked at the Werner Stikine/Shoguns but a bit concerned that the foam core would puncture - plus the VEs were (much) cheaper at the time. If I had to choose again, I'd still go with the VEs.

Drawbacks? You get to choose where the bends in the cranks are, the angle and the length - which was bit nerve-wracking, but Stu at VE helped out there; The paddles are ultra-stiff (again as much a pro as a con); You get to rely on the air-core a bit for rolling - and then wonder what happened when you borrow a pair of non-floaty paddles! Also need to put some reflective tape on them for those cooling swims (although black Werners are no better).

Nice bit of kit; I went for 197, 25 degree - if they ever break, I might go for slightly longer. Can't go wrong in my view with VE.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

DaveBland wrote:but they are British.
What the hell!!? I meant And they are...
dave

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Streamlite?

Big_ryan95

Post by Big_ryan95 »

I have a werner cranked powerhouse ! Great paddle as i have a bad wrist so helps keep it neutral ! Definitely a good paddle in my books

Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm really liking my Galasport Naja maxi paddle, but it is perhaps too aggressive for river running, and too big for most paddlers.
Based on how I get on with my VE C1 paddles, I think my next river running kayak paddle will be a VE....

morsey

Post by morsey »

Personally have Shogun Cranks.

Used a set of Lettmanns they were the best paddle I've ever used, so powerful, was like going to the gym (that's a good thing), use lots of core rotation or your arms fall off. Blade positioning in front of the hand gave extra reach for start of stroke and the blade rock steady, no flutter whilst pulling through. The finish around the edge is poor though. £400 paddle and the edge should be bomb proof. Werner edge is infinitely better. Means the blade will wear significantly.

Took some re adjustment going back to shoguns, miss the reach and power, and slower cadence. If I was racing Id get lettmans, probably stick with the large blade. If the Lettmanns had the same edge as the werners they'd be the best paddles ever.

Shoguns are nifty paddles. Been my standard paddles for years (definitely getting the 'monies worth' out of them).

I'm a fan of cranks, don't want to go back to straights. Mostly because of the quality double handed grips, no issues with knowing if you're set up on the shaft or not.

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

I am looking for a new paddle too. Any thoughts on The VE air core carbon pro?
All the usual scratches...

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Yeah - see above.
Mine are 7 years old and good as new (if not as shiny).
They've not had an easy life either.
And sooo light.
dave

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

Werner are the most popular for a reason.
Tried AT, VE, Select and others. Nothing had the power, durability and feel of Werners.

The only think that could tempt me away from Werner at the moment are the Galasport Manic Elites.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

I have a set of Mitchell blades. They replaced a set of Werner Powerhouse's.
I loved the Mitchell blades for more than I ever did the Werners. Better feel, better power transfer, and felt more powerful as well.
Have tried a couple of VE's but they weren't for me. They were nice, but I didn't think they were as nice as as my Mitchells.
Moral of the story is, try as many peoples as you can. Then get what is suitable for you at your budget
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave »

I have 3 sets of VE paddles and can throughly recommend them.

190cm 30° Aircore full carbon cranks for playboating
200cm 30° Carbon Cranks with glass blades for river running
Plus a set of 190-200cm glass straight splits for the back of the boat.

Speak to Stu, he will sort you out.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

VE's are an aquired taste, I had some, hated them, sold them to a friend, seen him a few weeks ago and asked how he liked them, he hated them too. I know someone who had the aircore carbon paddle, last time I saw him he had a Werner but didnt speak to ask why.
I personally have a foam core Stikine Ive had for about 3/4 years, had no problems, no flutter, it wasnt cheap but then Ive swam a couple times since buying it and have developed a Vulcan like grip to it upside down.
Werners are popular for a reason, I do think the VEs are a lot stronger but if you dont like them then strength doesnt matter.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Got 'bounced' today and hung on down a 40 ft slide bracing (read, hanging on) by the strength of those 7 year old VEs I mentioned.
Thanks Stu @VE, I owe you one.
dave

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Another vote for VE's here. Love the way they feel, the strength, the service (they are truly built to order), the price, and the weight. Most other paddles seem ridiculously heavy to me after using the VE's.

Girdles

Post by Girdles »

I paddle with a Werner power house cranked paddle, I have VE's full carbon cranks same length and feather, however I can not use due to the blade flutter I get using them. You need to try a few paddles before spending your cash, if your around Lee Valley your welcome to try both Werner or VE at 200cm

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal »

Is there anywhere in the country that you can demo a Werner, a VE and a Mitchell back to back? Or any two of the three?

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

Girdles wrote:I paddle with a Werner power house cranked paddle, I have VE's full carbon cranks same length and feather, however I can not use due to the blade flutter I get using them. You need to try a few paddles before spending your cash, if your around Lee Valley your welcome to try both Werner or VE at 200cm
I don't suppose you are at LV on the 5th or 6th of November? I would like to try the VE. At the moments I am leaning towards the powerhouse but I would like to have a p wit the VEs first.

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

Badknee wrote:
Girdles wrote:I paddle with a Werner power house cranked paddle, I have VE's full carbon cranks same length and feather, however I can not use due to the blade flutter I get using them. You need to try a few paddles before spending your cash, if your around Lee Valley your welcome to try both Werner or VE at 200cm
I don't suppose you are at LV on the 5th or 6th of November? I would like to try the VE. At the moments I am leaning towards the powerhouse but I would like to have a p wit the VEs first.
In English.... I would like to have a paddle with the VEs first if possible.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

however I can not use due to the blade flutter I get using them.
What size blade is on your VE's? Flutter is not an issue I have heard of before with them. But if you are that powerful that you are getting flutter, then maybe you needed the large blade size with them? They are some of the stiffest blades I know, with more layers of carbon than the other makes, so that is highly unusual.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

SimonMW wrote:
What size blade is on your VE's? Flutter is not an issue I have heard of before with them. But if you are that powerful that you are getting flutter, then maybe you needed the large blade size with them? They are some of the stiffest blades I know, with more layers of carbon than the other makes, so that is highly unusual.
Î know a few people where the VE flutters, I had a couple mm taken off all around and they still fluttered, never had a flutter with any Werner paddle glass or carbon so I think its a problem of design or your thoughts on strength? I am in building trade so have a reasonable strength?

Franky

Post by Franky »

I have a VE straight all carbon paddle and have not noticed any flutter. On the contrary, it is very stiff. I have the standard (big) blades.

My personal view is that VE blades would be as popular as Werners if they were not mail order only, and therefore less easy to try out. They rely on word of mouth for sales, so they have to be good quality.

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

I have been having an e-mail conversation with VE and mentioned the flutter comments and he said this is due to people using a paddle that is too long with a blade that is too big for them.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Badknee wrote:I have been having an e-mail conversation with VE and mentioned the flutter comments and he said this is due to people using a paddle that is too long with a blade that is too big for them.
FWIW I found them to flutter, and after I lost them on the Venter Ache switched to longer and bigger Select Pulses which never flutter. Didn't seem to be anything to do with the stiffness as people above have mentioned, rather a lack of 'grip' on the water. On the flipside, they were very quick and nice to slice out and around during combo/blended strokes, and were by far the best value blades on the market at the time (haven't checked current prices).

AT2s are still the nicest blades I've ever tried though.

Girdles

Post by Girdles »

Badknee wrote:
No problem, what time ?
I live 5 minutes from Lee Valley.

Girdles

Post by Girdles »

SimonMW wrote:
Large blade on paddle, Im 6,3. weigh in at 95kg lean build
I find the blades grippy and powerful, but I get forearm pain and elbow pain when i use them because i grip harder to stop flutter. However when I return to paddling in a few weeks I am goingto try usoing them again with a slower cadence and less powerful pull.

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

Girdles wrote:
Badknee wrote:
No problem, what time ?
I live 5 minutes from Lee Valley.
1:30 ish?

toppers3933

Post by toppers3933 »

I went from a Werner powerhouse to a set of VE's and they fluttered when i first got them. I put this down to me paddling them as I paddled my Werner's. I spoke with stu about it and he gave me a few tips with regards my paddle stroke and it immediately stopped fluttering. I now have a much more efficient paddle stroke and the VE's are way more powerful than my Werner's were. The only time I find I get a little bit of flutter is when I start getting tired and my technique starts to go.
I've been super impressed with every aspect of the VE paddle (as i was with the Werner's) but the weight of the VE is noticeably lower and it is significantly more powerful IMO.

Girdles

Post by Girdles »

toppers3933 wrote: I put this down to me paddling them as I paddled my Werner's. I spoke with stu about it and he gave me a few tips with regards my paddle stroke and it immediately stopped fluttering.
I Paddle with Werner Powerhouse without any flutter, I would be Interested in any techniques, tips you got that may stop my VE paddle flutter.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”