Conwy Falls Hydro Objections

Inland paddling
Dan Yates.

Conwy Falls Hydro Objections

Post by Dan Yates. »

Don't really want to get into a pros and cons discussion on this. It has been an ongoing issue for 3 years now and I am sure most people know what they feel about it by now.

However if you do want to object you have less than 10 days left. The current deadline is the 23rd Sept. Full details on how to do that can be found here:

https://savetheconwy.com/2016/08/15/new ... plication/

Poke

Re: Conwy Falls Hydro Objections

Post by Poke »

If you're feeling lazy though, all it needs is an e-mail to cynllunio@eryri-npa.gov.uk containing the stuff in the quote box below.

Just the e-mail will help, though last time I seem to remember they collated the reasons for objection, so if you can elaborate on why you are objecting that would be even better.

Plenty of reasons given on Dan's link above.
you wrote:Mr Richard Thomas
Snowdonia National Park Authority
National Park Offices
Penrhyndeudraeth
Gwynedd
LL48 6LF
Tel 01766 770272 fax 01766 771211
cynllunio@eryri-npa.gov.uk

Application Ref: NP4/26/323A
Registration Date: 05-Aug-2016

Re: Proposed hydro scheme generating up to 5MW of electricity comprising construction of intake weir, buried and tunnelled pipeline, buried powerhouse, switchgear room and transformer building, temporary construction compounds, biodiversity and recreational enhancement proposals, and alterations to vehicular accesses

Dear Mr Thomas

I am writing to object to the above scheme.......

Yours Faithfully,

______
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Poke

Post by Poke »

Your chance to object to this scheme ends in little over 24 hours!
Please make your voice heard.
Thank you!

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler »

Conwy Falls hydro power plan withdrawn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-37559882
Mark Gawler

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. »

You can read the Save the Conwy statement here:

https://savetheconwy.com/2016/10/05/saved/

and the Snowdonia Society statement here:

http://snowdonia-society.org.uk/conwy-f ... withdrawn/

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

thanks to all at save the conwy, and all that wrote, emailed and called - amazeballs
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

RichA

Post by RichA »

Just received this by email. Is it old news, or is this an update on the already rejected application?

Dear Sir/Madam

You provided comments relating to the above application for an abstraction and impoundment licence. Having looked at the application and considered the comments we received, we have decided not to grant the licences. The attached decision statement explains why we have refused this application.

The person applying for the licence does have the right to appeal against our decision. We will give you notice of any appeal and you will have an opportunity to make further comments in writing or to attend any hearing or inquiry that may be held.

The decision statement is also published on our website at http://www.naturalresourceswales.gov.uk.

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal »

Decision document link:
http://naturalresources.wales/media/680 ... al-pdf.pdf

Look at that, it says "Final" !

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

It seems to have been rejected on the basis that the flow taken out would have a bad effect on the ecology. Recreational reasons are barely mentioned in the discussion and not at all in the decision. That's not a good precedent for other schemes, or for this one if they resubmit it with changes - but it may be that meeting NRW expectations on flow would make it uneconomic.

Poke

Post by Poke »

It does say that it the scheme would have an impact on the number of hours the river is available for kayaking. The reason it gives for not considering this further is that the application is already being rejected on the basis of RWE not conforming to NRW's guidance on flow management.
http://naturalresources.wales/media/680164/decision-document-afon-conwy-final-pdf.pdf wrote:The application is being refused, should the applicant wish to pursue a scheme at this location, the impact to water user requires further consideration.
More specifically, NRW recommends that the amount of water being extracted shouldn't exceed a certain percentage of the total flow. A short section of the Conwy river below the dam is above the confluence with the Afon Machno river. If you account for the flows from the Machno, this limit isn't breached, however in the short section upstream of the Machno confluence the volume of water is extracted is higher than the permitted percentage. It seems to me like this is the only reason that the application has been rejected.

One of the arguments in the letters against the scheme (bottom of page 10) was that NRW has a remit to encourage recreation. NRW's rebuttal was that they have to balance this with their mandate to support renewable energy.

banzer

Post by banzer »

Why can't they just put a turbine or archimedes screw in at the side of Conwy Falls itself? Keep it simple? That's where the most height loss is and therefore the most efficient energy gain over the shortest distance. That's what they've done at the Rhaedr Mawdach as far as I'm aware...?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Poke

Post by Poke »

banzer wrote:Why can't they just put a turbine or archimedes screw in at the side of Conwy Falls itself? Keep it simple? That's where the most height loss is and therefore the most efficient energy gain over the shortest distance. That's what they've done at the Rhaedr Mawdach as far as I'm aware...?
I've said the same thing before. They would get a lot less power, but equally it'd cost much less and be far less damaging on all fronts (recreation and environmental).

banzer

Post by banzer »

Poke wrote: I've said the same thing before. They would get a lot less power, but equally it'd cost much less and be far less damaging on all fronts (recreation and environmental).
Tim, have Innology Renewables considered this? Not that I want to encourage them, but in a weird way, it would (should) protect the Glen itself from further development...
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

Good news I will continue to watch the adventurous ones braving the fairy glen :)
I can roll :)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”