Returning to the water

Inland paddling
Jaffa91

Returning to the water

Post by Jaffa91 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Alright guys.

I'm looking to return to kayaking after selling my previous gear several years ago.

I previously owned a Perception Blaze and had undertaken my BCU Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 certification.

I've been looking on the internet over the past week or two and I'm not looking to spend serious high end money to get back into the sport, here is a list of what I am looking at now. I would be looking to do Rivers, whitewater (nothing serious, but enjoyable) with the odd gentle river stroll on a sunny day.

Kayak - Wavesport Diesel 70 Blackout
Paddle - Palm Maverick G5
Palm FXR PFD

As for the Cag, I'm unsure, I am looking at the following but undecided on either the Palm Velocity // Vertigo OR the Peak Freeride.

Any information, advice and recommendations on further gear would be great.

Cheers

Jaffa

BobbyR

Re: Returning to the water

Post by BobbyR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 pm

For what its worth i have a Diesel 70 and really enjoy paddling it. Needs to be driven though.

My first cag was a cheap palm velocity. It fell apart after two years and never really kept any water out.

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 am

Pm'd you Jaffa.

Jaffa91

Post by Jaffa91 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:12 am

BobbyR wrote:For what its worth i have a Diesel 70 and really enjoy paddling it. Needs to be driven though.

My first cag was a cheap palm velocity. It fell apart after two years and never really kept any water out.
Cheers for you're reply, How would you say the kayak handles in terms of Fun, rolling and stability ?

As for the Cag, I am swaying more towards the Palm Vertigo. I won't be doing any heavy whitewater for a while yet while
I get back into the swing of things.

I'm hoping that the gear / kayak I've selected above is half decent for what I am after.

Cheers

J

Jaffa91

Post by Jaffa91 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:12 am

Whitey1 wrote:Pm'd you Jaffa.

Cheers Whitey, Replied.

BobbyR

Post by BobbyR » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:53 pm

How would you say the kayak handles in terms of Fun, rolling and stability ?
Well everything is relative and subjective - try before you buy. It has quite a bit of volume so handles waves and stoppers ok but is not as 'fun' as something like an Axiom or RPM (read - unstable) but also not as idiot proof as a creek boat.If you actively drive the boat and learn how to get the best from the edges its pretty stable and fast. If you sit back it will punish you. I can roll it fine but don't have much experience rolling different boats.

Rae1

Post by Rae1 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Cags - I'm more than happy with my Lomo dry cag. £100. It is heavy duty - far thicker than most other cags, so not suitable for a summers day, but great for colder days.

Jaffa91

Post by Jaffa91 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Cheers for all your replies.

Popped down to my local Kayaking shop, checked out the Diesel and it looks like i'll have to go for the 80 rather than the 70, felt a bit more comfortable once i got in there.

Had a little play with the Werner Rio which felt like a nice paddle, and some of the other gear I was interested in.

The only dilemma I am now facing is transporting the Kayak, I can't justify over £500 on a set of thule roof bars to transport the kayak.

So it's back to the drawing board for the time being which is a kick in the teeth after finding the right kayak / gear that I am more than happy with.

Cheers

J

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:03 pm

What kind of car do you have that the roof rack is £500? It might be worth posting it up as lots of folk have a rack kicking about and you may only need to buy the feet. Or if you are lucky someone has the feet they dont need.

colin

Yew

Post by Yew » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Look on outdoors groups on facebook and on ebay.

I recently picked up some thule bars for my car for £25 used.

Jaffa91

Post by Jaffa91 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Colin C wrote:What kind of car do you have that the roof rack is £500? It might be worth posting it up as lots of folk have a rack kicking about and you may only need to buy the feet. Or if you are lucky someone has the feet they dont need.

colin
Car is a VW Golf MK5 R32, this is the only kayak oneS that is on thule website.

Thule Hull-a-Port Pro 837 - £170
Thule K-Guard 840 - £210
Thule Hullavator Pro 898 - £525

I'm not able to put secondary secure lines on the front and rear bumper, no holes, tow hooks, so it would purely be lashed/ secured via roof bar.

I am going to play an Ad here for wanted and really hope something comes up.

I also looked at getting a very cheap van / car to transport the kayak / mountain bike, but by the time I take purchase,insuring, tax, mot etc it'll start getting costly.
Yew wrote:Look on outdoors groups on facebook and on ebay.

I recently picked up some thule bars for my car for £25 used.
I will keep an eye out, thanks.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

J

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 pm

If you only want to carry one/two boats you only need bars, pads and straps. The boats might have to be positioned carefully to avoid damaging the roof. Uprights help if you want to carry more. No need to tie down the ends of short boats. Normally use a golf estate but the classic mini does back up duty. I reckon a playboat could be strapped to the bootlid of the TVR! Last month a friend had my burn and a fusion on his Tesla (fine if tied on rightside up).
I can roll :)

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:19 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 2Gn0uIvGlA

Not sure what your car is but it must be listed here, prices up to £150 and £30 odd for uprights.

Colin

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Check out this site for roof bars:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... =Roof+Bars

You might as well buy new roof bars since postage would cost a bomb. Might be worth trying to get 2nd hand foot-packs.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”