Best whitewater course in the land

Inland paddling
morsey

Best whitewater course in the land

Post by morsey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Ciwwing

What you got London? Any come back Pinkston? Chance of retort HPP? The Mighty Nene must surely have some video funk?

waverley610

Re: Best whitewater course in the land

Post by waverley610 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Folks down LV are thinking.... er CIWW it's a bit shallow innit?!?

....might as well drop off an house!!!

Morsey, Nice Ear Dip, care to share your crib sheet?!

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:34 am

That's the best video I've seen of Lee Valley! ;-)

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:25 am

Morsey,

Was that a girl paddling that boat at CIWW, as that video was more like something from Cardiff fashion week; boat, paddles, kit all colour coordinated, I was expecting to see Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell appear at any moment?

Good to see proper 'old school' paddling at Lee Valley, just like good north country paddling on the Tees or in the Lakes that...

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:53 am

I wish I could paddle like a girl, I'd win rodeos and boater cross races if I paddled like Nouria Newman & Lowri Davies, I'd stomp and huck the Gnarl if I paddled like Mariann Sæther, Jen Chrimes & Sal Montgomery, I'd rip the C1 slalom out of shape if I paddled like Jess Fox and I'd smash the K1 if I paddled like Luuka Jones and Maialen Chourraut, plus I'd be too cool for school if I was hitting Cali like Sara James.

Paddling like a girl is synonymous with the greater.

Glad you like the coordination :-)

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Best whitewater course in the land is the Tryweryn!

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:36 pm

I have some footage from Pinkston but not made any proper films from it yet.

For Lee Valley check this one out:

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Would any of the ww courses exist if Canoe Slalom was not an Olympic sport?

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:53 am

HPP would be there built with no Olympics in mind.

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:25 am

Dave Manby wrote:HPP would be there built with no Olympics in mind.
First Olympic canoe slalom event was 1972 at Augsburg. HPP was built around 1996. HPP may not have been built for use in Olympics but was used for training and slalom cpmpetitions. Tryweryn had lots of expenditure for slalom and WWR world championships in 1984. My point is that these courses are a spinoff benefit for ww paddlers that would probably not have come about without canoe slalom being an olympic event. I am sure you know more detail than me!

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Well, I think the real question is whether or not anyone would have thought about building artificial courses in the first place if it wasn't for Munich needing one for the 72 Olympics?

Slalom is still not really a spectator sport* aside from the Olympics, if it wasn't for the Olympic requirement to be able to get an audience in MAYBE we would still be making do with natural (with movement of rocks) rivers only, and maybe some Dam release ones.

*Yes you do get some spectators at places like HPP and LV who just happen to be walking in the park whilst the event is on, but I haven't really seen anyone from outside the slalom community spectating all day, particularly at natural sites that are a bit off the beaten track.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:34 pm

The course at Augsburg existed before the Munich Games in 1972. I had to move my tent in 1970 because the mayor of Augsburg tuned up to dig the first JCB load of dirt for the remodelling of the canal. The eis canal was exactly that it was a canal for the ice to flow down during the spring melt rather than over the weir and damage the base of the weir. HPP was not built in around 1996 in fact HPP was planned before the Augsburg remodelled course I think Frank Goodman drew up the original plans in 1968 and there was a scale model built then. One my options at Nottingham Uni for a third year project was research into the erosion problems at the discharge back into the Trent. (I didn't do it - not being a fan of fluid mechanics).

Slalom was in the Olympics in 1972 and not again till 1996 at Barcelona. There was talk of GB dropping it for the London games but the TV demanded it.

The International and national slaloms used to get big crowds on the bridge in Llangollen.

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:52 pm

I've seen some funny edits from Pinkston Jim and the Silverbirch Lee Valley is pretty cool.

Not sure I class Tryweryn as a whitewater course, is a river, albeit flow controlled, with sculpted sections.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Augsburg July 1970 features myself Digby Armstong and Antony Osbourne from Ellesmere college we were 16 ish the other paddlers were GB team Jim Sibley John Wilde are in there somewhere any other names would be welcomed.

http://s110.photobucket.com/user/coruh8 ... 4.html?o=4

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 am

There was talk of GB dropping it for the London games but the TV demanded it.
I do wonder how much longer it will stay in. The Americans want to replace it with another dull indoor sport (wrestling), probably due to them not winning medals. The courses are expensive to make (although the Rio one was apparently a fraction of the cost of Lee Valley). They could do with using the course more. Maybe introducing freestyle, or Boater X. It would be a shame to see slalom go. I don't think it really gets the recognition it deserves. The athletes have to be extremely physically fit, and use pin point accuracy and technique in an environment that is "alive". Yet the TV barely ever mentions it, despite it providing Team GB with one of its first gold medals.

I know that many people are not fans of the concrete, and their power sucking pumps. But during the summer I would not be able to get an appreciable paddling on any white water if not for places like Cardiff.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:43 am

The big problem with the Olympics and numbers of competitors. This is why C2 is being dropped and replaced with women's C1. The main reason is to have equality of the sexes but to keep the C2s remember it is not the 24-32 competitors but also their trainers physios team manger etc.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:43 pm

As Dave says it is the size of the whole games, accommodation, catering, security, supporting percsonnel etc. that limits how many athletes they allow to attend, more classes means more athletes and they struggle with numbers already.

It is ridiculous to have C1M and not C1W, it is ridulous to have C2M and not C2W and mixed C2, but to include everything you would need at least 2 more athletes per country (up to 5 if you don't have C1 paddlers also paddling C2) x 20 odd countries you could have 100 extra athletes, plus some more coaches and physios.

I think they should separate out a water games like they have separate winter games, and then deal with the numbers either at a separate venue, or at least at a separate time (using the same accommodation) to allow for proper representation of all competitive watersports (freestyle, polo, marathon, river racing, surf ski, surf, waveski, raft just to name some more paddle sports.....

morsey

Post by morsey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:37 pm

All the while boatercross and river racers (not the wwr type) go to races all around the world on their own, hoping to blag a lift from the airport, maybe hope even to borrow a boat. For the Olympics do they really need phyiso's, trainers, coaches, doctors? Nope, and you see the smaller teams go with just athletes, so it's a luxury afforded by more affluent countries and proves "it's the taking part that counts" is just marketing spin!

At the world cycling champs the pro Team MTN Qhubeka provided services course (Mechanics, wheels, assistance etc) for all the African riders, whether in their team or not. That was a South African team looking after all African nations. It can be done at Olympics to have neutral service to assist in various comps and for all nations. Expand the athletes, reduce the assistants. Would make it more fair competition also!

C1M without C1W is wrong. Losing C2 seems wrong, but then something has to give.

morsey

Post by morsey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Either Way Cardiff is still way out in front in this comp!

There must be some funky edits...

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Dunno about funky. All I have is some freezing cold winter camera tests I did once!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:26 am

Given the friendliness of the Des Mes staff, and centre staff plus a lack of any Trott-like symptoms and warm water - HPP should be on the list. Forgotten how much fun it was.
dave

morsey

Post by morsey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 am

Yes, yes. Boys and Girls from the Trent ditch, bring on the video's to show what you got...

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:57 am

Here's one from the ditch last summer. Just after it was reconfigured and put on full flow.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:22 pm

It's not just the on-water experience though, I love Lee Valley, but my God - it's a pain in the arse to get food & drink afterwards. The cafe area just doesn't work, slow service & illogical clumps of people hanging around waiting for coffee, food etc...

Once you've actually got your coffee, the rest of the experience is great - comfy seats & you can big your paddle up in comfort.....

What are the other courses like for a bit of post-paddle scran & bullsh*tting?

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 am

Oh! Lee Valley have you got a ramp?
Do you even BoaterX Bro?

John K

Post by John K » Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 am

Chalky723 wrote:It's not just the on-water experience though, I love Lee Valley, but my God - it's a pain in the arse to get food & drink afterwards. The cafe area just doesn't work, slow service & illogical clumps of people hanging around waiting for coffee, food etc...
This season they have completely redesigned the layout of the café service area, and against all the odds appear to have actually made things even worse. I'm taking sandwiches from now on :(

waverley610

Post by waverley610 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Morsey good effort; did you manage to pull off 1st 2nd and 3rd place?

I wanna see the pedestal award pic next :-) !

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue May 09, 2017 6:08 pm

I did actually come 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The 3rd put me out in the semi's though :-( I wasn't really up for the fight, but Cheese won, dashing the youngsters dreams ;-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”