How Long Do You Spend On The Water?

Inland paddling
Big Henry

How Long Do You Spend On The Water?

Post by Big Henry »

Further to the thread on exactly how much it costs to go paddling, I thought I'd ask: How long, as a percentage, do you actually spend on the water when you go paddling? We liked to think we spend a long time paddling, but in reality we have to spend time sorting and packing our kit, putting the boat on the car, driving to your mates house to pick them up, tie their boat to your roof, drive to the meeting point, get changed, unload the boats, sort the shuttle, then carry your boat to the water. All this time spent and you're not wet yet! You paddle, then you get back off the water to inspect rapids, to set up safety, to run the rapid one at a time, then everyone back on the water to possibly repeat further down the river! When you've finished you carry your boat back to the car, get changed, sort the shuttle car out, put boats back on cars, then finally drive home (dropping off your mate). When you get there you have to put your boat away, then sort out all your wet kit, all before you can sit down for a pint/glass/whatever and actually day you've finished! (I'm assuming showers/baths would happen anyway so don't need to be included).

So out of all that time spent "paddling," how long were you actually paddling? (Take an average trip, or average of the last few trips, excluding overnight long distance trips to Wales/Scotland/wherever for the moment.)

My wife did this calculation a few years back and decided the actual paddling bit wasn't worth all the rest, and gave up!

jam bo

Re: How Long Do You Spend On The Water?

Post by jam bo »

I can leave my house, paddle the Dart loop, jog the shuttle and be home in about 1hr 45-2hrs. Probably about 40mins on the water.

Jim

Post by Jim »

All river trips take around 2 hours, the other 10 or so hours you need for a paddling trip are all non paddling hours, hopefully not too many of them are spent huddled around in wet boating gear getting cold.

Slalom/Sprint training sessions - 15 minutes to put boat on (x2), 10 to take off (x2), 35 minutes drive (x2) sometimes 25 minutes in traffic jam (x1, only 1 way), 10 minutes to change (I'm slow)(x2), 60 minute session (if I wasn''t late) = 165mins for 60 mins

Polo training/Freestyle session - as above but 120 minutes paddling

Combine Sprint training with Slalom or Polo or Freestyle, then I start getting some good returns on my prep time!

Just Polo tonight.

Above times don't include time spent chatting in the car park or on the launch ramp etc. Annoyingly there is a Pokestop in the car park so that's more time to waste now!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Big Henry wrote:How long, as a percentage, do you actually spend on the water when you go paddling?
I hear what you are saying. And yes it varies massively depending on your access to local water. I used to live in the Midlands and so it always involved travelling. I think a 5:1 ratio of time is generally about average for faff to actual paddling if you don't live next to the river?

Interestingly, now living in Canada the rivers are generally longer, but then so's everything else. The shuttles, plus many rivers have walk-ins etc. Thinking about it I reckon the ratio is about the same.

Of course as Jim says, if you factor in polo and local runs and slalom training type stuff - then the ratio is way down. Unless you count pub 'afters' as part of the equation...
dave

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

Lets be honest though, paddling is only a small part of why we go out. Or is that just me?
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Big Henry wrote:...you have to put your boat away, then sort out all your wet kit, all before you can sit down for a pint/glass/whatever
Blimey, your priorities are messed up!
dave

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Paddling at least three times a week my kayak is kept on the van v-bars and my kit left wet in the back of the van - 20 min drive to the water, 5 min to get ready then 1.5 hrs paddling, 5 min loading up, 20 min drive home - job done.
Mal

morsey

Post by morsey »

Play waves, CIWW, Tryweryn. Turn up, paddle till arms drop off, or water is turned off.

Local flat water 40 mins driving. Two hours paddle. 40:120
Local wave forty mins round trip driving. Two hours average paddle. 40:120
CIWW 2-3 hours drive (Traffic!). Friday afternoon eve: 1-2 hours 8 cumecs. 1 hour break Hot Chocy in the CIWW Cafe. 2 hours 10 cumecs. Try to combine with a stay over in Cardiff for drinks with friends Friday night, which means only twenty mins drive to get a 11am till the pumps turn off 4-5 hour Saturday session). Sometimes for for 1-2 MTB laps of Cwm Carn, then go to CIWW. 180:240 200:480
Tryweryn 4-5 hours drive. Paddle from water on till water off. CuppaT at CafeWave Cafe. Curry & Beer in Bala. Tryweryn is normally a stop over, so get two days paddle for the driving time. 300:300 400:600
Middle Tawe river trip is probably my most paddled run in S. Wales 3 hours drive. 2-3 40 minute Laps (usually do multiple runs of fall on each lap). Normally start or finish with tea and cakes in Craig y Nos Country Park.) If levels come up will add another lap of another river normally approx 40 mins 1 hour. 180:120
Upper Dart 3 hour drive. Normally aim for 2-3 laps running at 40-60 min laps. or less laps if going slower. If levels high one lap will be on another river/section. If low will probably do one long/slow lap playing around and cruising (except the paddle out, always paddle the paddle out, for the burn! And No.14 Ashburton for Coffee). Try and do stop overs for Dartmoor to double the paddle time for driving. 180:180 200:360
East Lyn 3 hour drive. Normally try and do 2 full laps from Brendon. Is approx 1 hour. And maybe an extra gorge lap 30 mins. Always have coffee and cake in the cafe at the take out, log on to wifi and bounce the river bants. And often a cheeky half in the Blue Ball on the way home up the coast. 180:120

Everything else is at the influence of rain and will generally involve driving from early and catching the last of the available day light. Faff and shuttles kept to a minimum, sometimes drop a lap and drive shuttle to speed events up, often run/cycle the shuttle because it's a laugh to run up the highest cliff path in England, just to see if it is quicker than the river path (it's not). Rain days are walk in and Paddling for 6 hours + with 3 hour drives. 180:360

Pseudo stats:
40:120
40:120
180:240
200:480
300:300
400:600
180:120
180:180
200:360
180:120
180:360

2080:3000

Roughly two hours driving to three hours paddling.

Although if you divide 2080 by 3000 and multiply by the time factor of 60 (minutes) you get a rounded up answer of 42, and I'm sure we all appreciate the significance of that number in validating canoeing activities.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Okay, may need to revise my 5:1

Toby Creek.Bit of a drive.
Bag ready and boat load onto car 15 mins. [Night before]
Drive 3.75 hrs there.
15 mins check levels.
15 mins get changed. Snack.
40 mins run shuttle.
4-5 hours of sweet ww loveliness.
30 mins get changed.
20 min drive to refreshment stop. 1.5 hours steak and chips down face.
3.5 hours drive home.
Leave gear and boat exactly where it is.
Bath and beverage, shower, bed.
Next morning sort gear out 30 mins.

That adds up to about 5:2

Elbow Local evening run
Bag ready and boat load onto car 15 mins. [Night before]
Drive 40 mins there.
15 mins get changed. Snack.
5 mins run shuttle.
2.5 hours for laps.
45 mins get changed, stand around chat and drink refreshments.
40 hours drive home.
Leave gear and boat exactly where it is.
Bath and beverage, shower, bed.
Next morning sort gear out 30 mins.

That adds up to about 3:2
dave

Girdles

Post by Girdles »

I live 5 minutes from Lee Valley, so get 1-2 hrs 4-5 days a week.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

so here's a good example of how ratios work in reality.

This is a 4-hour drive for me. Over night camp for sure. If you are lucky enough to get a boat shuttle, then another 45 mins. Or does the lake paddle count as 'paddling' as everyone would rather not do it. Then the hike to get up there.
The inspecting and faffing on drops. Paddle/ride back. Obligatory hot-dogs if in Waterton plus beers. Probably another overnight stop or a slow 4 hours back.

Not adding up the ratio for the run, but it's gotta be a million to one. Or is that the river?
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”