Kayaking bucket list

Inland paddling
Badknee

Kayaking bucket list

Post by Badknee »

Most of my paddling has been in Wales, Scotland and France. Next year is a big birthday and I am looking for suggestions to add to my Kayaking bucket list. I don't need the biggest whitewater; I am after something that will be an adventure. The Internet has come up with endless possibilities across the world but theses are being sold and come with sales patter. Any suggestions about the must do places to go.
All the usual scratches...

Dave Manby

Re: Kayaking bucket list

Post by Dave Manby »

East Ram Ganga and Saryu rivers in India - up by the western Nepal border. Two great grade 3 - 4 runs multi day two nights out each time all fits into a 2 week trip. But you probably won't go there because no one has heard of them!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

So Nepal will be an easily accessible adventure with endless opportunities for culture, memories and whatever grade of river you like. Plus easy logistics through the liked of Daz and co.
Or... Equador is an easily guaranteed good time with similar adventurous content.

Any other location wont offer as guaranteed 'easy access' paddling as you'll be faffing more.
dave

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

India East Ram Ganga. Arrive Delhi airport boats and gear on minibus off to river underground to town centre and train to meet minibus the following morning (you could miss out getting the train and save a little money and miss the experience). Minibus drops you at the put ins and collects you from the take outs and translator/liaison man organises your accommodation at government rest houses.

Come to Llangollen on Tuesday night and see a few pics of these rivers and other destinations at the Llangollen Adventure Talks in the Wynnstay pub at 7.70 pm. We used Himalayan River Runners - superb service. Pre Brexit currency values - it worked out at around £1200 inc. flights, food beer and everything a head. That was with five of us if there were one or two more of you it would be slightly less. You could do it yourselves for far less and spend twice as long sorting it out.

banzer

Post by banzer »

Zambezi? Yes there's some 'grade 5' but people can show you the easier lines, and it's nice warm water if you do swim. Good one to do before it gets dammed. Most of it is 3/4.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Jim

Post by Jim »

Adventure or a good holiday?

For a holiday I cannot rate the Grand Canyon highly enough.
Do not go if you want 2 weeks of hard whitewater, but do go if you want a 2 week holiday in the sun with some easy big volume rapids thrown in every few hours and plenty of opportunities to explore the side canyons etc. on foot.

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem »

I fancy a clockwise road trip around the Baltic Sea stopping off every now and again to paddle a river or lake. On the way back there's a place called Ruskeala in Russia (north of St Petersburg - near the Finnish border) which has an old quarry called Marble Canyon that just looks like the most amazing place to sit in a boat, definitely worth a quick Google to look at some pics even if it's not actually worth not a massive road trip.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Grand Canyon - I was impressed!

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Poke

Post by Poke »

What's your budget? That's a pretty key bit of info!
Grand Canyon looks incredible, but will cost you muchos $$$!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

Poke wrote:What's your budget? That's a pretty key bit of info!
Grand Canyon looks incredible, but will cost you muchos $$$!
Budget is quite high. I had been looking at New Zealand, Napal, India, Scandinavia or North and South America amongst others. If funds hold up I would be looking at something big every other year. There are so many possibilities!

I am looking at adventure and holiday I see these as the same thing in many ways but I get the distinction. The Grand Canyon is already on the list. I want to do that as a family thing in a few years time.

Badknee

Post by Badknee »

banzer wrote:Zambezi? Yes there's some 'grade 5' but people can show you the easier lines, and it's nice warm water if you do swim. Good one to do before it gets dammed. Most of it is 3/4.
I am not worried about swimming, I have become quite skilled at that. Roll is pretty bomb proof on a good day though.
How long until it is dammed?

banzer

Post by banzer »

Probably another three or four years, but it's 'Africa Time' so no-one really knows.

New Zealand is ace, that's where I learnt to paddle, you can do a tour around from north to south, four to six weeks would be good. Can even get in a couple of the easier heli-trips which are pretty cool. Most of these are on the South Island near Hokitika eg. Lower Toaroha, Lower Hokitika rivers, or do a two-dayer up the Landsborough staying in a hut halfway. 'Normal' paddling season is Nov-Jan but lots of rivers can be paddled year-round, eg. the Kaituna on N Island is grade 4 and one of the most beautiful rivers on the planet.

PM me if you want to hear more.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

John K

Post by John K »

Heli-kayaking in New Zealand is very high on my bucket list.

Grand Canyon seemed way out of my league 18 months ago, but I'm gaining on it slowly!

I don't know if I'll manage to do either of them, but for the time being I'm aiming at both :D

Jim

Post by Jim »

Just keep putting some money away, and hope the pound bounces back! :)

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

If you get on a private trip or are lucky enough to win a private permit and choose your trip members it is not that expensive. We paid Pro Raft $1000 each for their outfitting and then bout the same again for hotels beers transfers fees plus air tickets to the USA.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”