Dagger Axiom Sizing Advice

Inland paddling
FreddieK

Dagger Axiom Sizing Advice

Post by FreddieK »

Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting a Dagger Axiom but I'm just having a bit of trouble deciding which size to go for. I'm about 6ft and 90kg... would it be best to go for the 8.5 or the 9.0? I would like to get an 8.5 as the 9.0 seems like quite a large boat but I'm worried I could be too heavy for the 8.5? I would be using as a 'do it all' sort of boat, playing, river running, most things.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Freddie

neonbowhawk

Re: Dagger Axiom Sizing Advice

Post by neonbowhawk »

At 82-120 kg recommended weight for the 9 you are an almost ideal weight for the bigger boat?

I am right at the bottom of the recommended weight for the 8.5 but find it easy to paddle. It is very responsive, fast and accurate. Plus I can fit proper boots in it. For me the 8 felt much smaller, more like a play boat almost and it would have put me off using it on bigger stuff.

So for me the bigger of the two sizes I was inbetween was definitely the best choice, I use this boat on more occasions as a result. It is such a fun boat and easy to get on with.

Hope this helps

Simon

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

at 85kg I found the 8.5 a little too low volume. very tail happy and a pretty wet ride on harder water.

i sold it and bought a mamba 8.1 but could never get on with it.

I picked up bargian 9.0 earlier in the year. not paddled it much yet but it is a much bigger boat.

John K

Post by John K »

The 9.0 is a lot more boat than the 8.5 and with a 90kg paddler isn't going to feel very playful. It will be fine for river running and surfing though.

The 8.5 will give you much better stern squirts and be loads more playful, but might be a bit of a handful when you're river running.

The best choice for you is going to depend on what your priorities are and how good a paddler you are.

Catastronaut

Post by Catastronaut »

Cannot comment on the 8.5, but own the 9.0. At 6'3'' and 95kg the 9.0 is still a very big boat. It feels also seriously wide. If by 'do it all' you mean mostly river running and surfing, the 9.0 performs like a charm. Relatively fast and feels sporty, especially snappy moves in and out of eddies are fun. Surfing is quite good, but spinning and sharp wave turns obviously require a lot more ooompf than a shorter boat.

I originally bought the boat hoping for a tail happy river runner suited for effortless stern squirting when playing my way down the river. Forget about that! I can only stern squirt the 9.0 on strong(!) eddylines, best supported by a little waveface.

If you are thinking the performance might be similar to an updated old-school boat such as RPM max, you are mistaken (this was my original idea). It is still a fun boat though and I kept it, as it performs really well as a river runner that is not completely boring. Due to the volume, i don't hesitate taking it down big volume rivers such as the upper Oetz in Austria or the Åmot section of the Sjoa in Norway. Big volume, not too steep seems to be the natural habitat of the 9.0.

Cheers,
Jan

Inversion

Post by Inversion »

Consider trying a Liquidlogic Mullet, in terms of size it's between the Axiom 8.5 and 9.0, and seems to be designed to be a bit more playful, very easy to stern squirt. Manchester Canoes has one for demo. At 95kg, and just over 6ft, I'm seriously tempted by one after demoing on the canal, it felt very much the right size.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

if you are anywhere near devon you could try mine.

I could probably be persuaded to sell it as well as I accidently bought a new bike last night...

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Inversion wrote:Consider trying a Liquidlogic Mullet, in terms of size it's between the Axiom 8.5 and 9.0, and seems to be designed to be a bit more playful, very easy to stern squirt. Manchester Canoes has one for demo. At 95kg, and just over 6ft, I'm seriously tempted by one after demoing on the canal, it felt very much the right size.
The LL Braap is a contender too. Really fun and similar to the Axiom.
...wait, is the mullet and Braap the same boat, different name?
dave

Inversion

Post by Inversion »

DaveBland wrote:
Inversion wrote:Consider trying a Liquidlogic Mullet, in terms of size it's between the Axiom 8.5 and 9.0, and seems to be designed to be a bit more playful, very easy to stern squirt. Manchester Canoes has one for demo. At 95kg, and just over 6ft, I'm seriously tempted by one after demoing on the canal, it felt very much the right size.
Braap is different, slightly smaller with a lower weight range, and more focused on going downriver fast than play.

FreddieK

Post by FreddieK »

Thanks for all the advice guys, very much appreciated. I have two boats at the moment, a Big Dog Havoc and a large MK2 Burn. The Havoc is pretty much at the end of its life and takes water on board reasonably quickly! Due to this and other issues I'm trying to move to just one boat that can do most things well (which I know is a pretty tricky ask). I guess I'm your average grade 3/4 weekend paddler with the odd 4+ when I'm feeling brave (which isn't often).

From looking at people's comments the 9.0 seems a good option for river running etc with some surfing in there too but would be fairly limited when it comes to playing. The Braap also seems a good option and I do like the look of it. I was wondering if anybody knew of any other river running boats around that were more on the playful side?

Thanks again!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Inversion wrote:
DaveBland wrote:
Braap is different, slightly smaller with a lower weight range, and more focused on going downriver fast than play.
Ah, that makes sense. Really enjoyed the time I spent in one the other week. Splendid boat.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”