Dartmoor - river crossing practice sites - suggestions needed

Inland paddling
TonyM

Dartmoor - river crossing practice sites - suggestions needed

Post by TonyM »

I'm part of a Scout expedition next year, trekking in Uzbekistan. As part of the preparations, I'm looking for some sites on Dartmoor where we can practice river crossings.

I'm not sure of the character of the rivers we'll encounter, but looking at Google earth, it seems they range from rocky to braided.

We plan to include this exercise in a Dartmoor prep camp in July so rivers levels may be low (but who knows...). Any advice on suitable practice rivers/ sites on Dartmoor will be very welcome.

Similarly any suitable teaching resources will be welcomed.

Many thanks

Tony Moore

Jim

Re: Dartmoor - river crossing practice sites - suggestions needed

Post by Jim »

I seem to recall as a scout having to cross the East Dart somewhere between Postbridge and Cut Hill on the way to Cranmere Pool, there are lots of parts that are wadeable but I have no idea if it has the width or character you need.

stowei

Post by stowei »

Please approach with very great caution. See the recent history of the Ten Tors for sad stories of fatalities when attempting to cross in spate something that scarcely even exists in drought. As a paddler (presumably) you will be aware how quickly the Dartmoor rivers and streams rise and fall.

It is therefore going to be a case of:

* Working out what you wish to replicate as a training exercise. I have no idea at all what you will find in Uzbekistan
* Considering conditions on the day of the exercise. Anywhere worthwhile as an exercise could be too simple or completely uncrossable depending upon the conditions
* Having a good instructor. If you are asking for resources it suggests that you may not have. For what it is worth I have attached a link below to the BMC guidance, but if you are going to be crossing (and practising crossing) somewhere which is worthwhile as an exercise and where safety is an issue (as opposed to just wet toes), then have someone with you who knows what they are doing (and therefore probably qualified)

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/hill-skills-river-crossings

Ian

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

the fire brigade do swift water practice just above holne bridge.

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

Mind the fish ..... fishermen might not take too kindly to groups crossing and recrossing "their" rivers. Depending upon when you're off to Uzbekistan you might consider using the Exe and the Barle ....... in October!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Maybe worth asking Dartmoor search and rescue guys, they have a facebook site and sure they'll advise you, they practice river crossing a fair bit so will know the best locations for your group.
Mark

TonyM

Post by TonyM »

hi guys,
thanks for your responses - very helpful as usual.

i haven't been ignoring you, but the day after posting i fell off my bike on our local railway path and bust an elbow. 4 hours of surgery later... its only today i feel well enough to do anything. hence apologies for my poor typing.

i think i'll contact Dartmoor s&r and the fire brigade.

i'm very conscious of the ten tors issues, hence this starting point.

many thanks,

tony

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”