Baby friendly Alpine activities / Via Ferrata rental

Inland paddling
Poke

Baby friendly Alpine activities / Via Ferrata rental

Post by Poke » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Has anyone visited the Alps (staying near Briancon) with a baby?
Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do that are baby friendly - nice walks (<2hrs / <10km), or things to see?

In a similar vein, we have some tame babysitters coming with us (hurrah) so was hoping to do some less baby friendly fun stuff whilst we were there, via ferrata being one.

Does anyone know how much it costs to hire via ferrata kit whilst out there?

I do have a couple of climbing harnesses, and was wondering whether to blow £100+ on two pukka sets of via ferrata clipping systems (on the basis we'll use them on future trips), or whether it's so cheap to rent them that we just do that as we'd have to use them every day if we bought them just to get our moneys worth.

Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Andy H

Re: Baby friendly Alpine activities / Via Ferrata rental

Post by Andy H » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Yep loads to do with baby or small children.

Via farreta kit can be hired from most outdoor shops in most towns for around 12 euros for lanyards and helmet. Also get free guide to via farrets in area from any tourist information shop.

Down in lac poncon (Embrum) you can hire all types of canoes, sit ons, wind surfers etc for a fun day on the water.

White water Rafting, Tubeing, duckies etc on the Durance and other rivers

Towards the Ubaye vally there is a zoo and wildlife park

In braincon there is a excellent high ropes course and also a small kid friendly one as well.

Up the Top of the Gyronde vally you can hike up to the Glacier Blanche about 2 hour hike a must see.

Loads of bike hire and biking routes everywhere.

Great small swimming lake and sunbath spot and small boat hire at Roche De rame.

Old Briancon for a bit of culture and sight seeing

Canyoneering up in the Fornel Vally

Visit a silver mine up in the Fornel vally

The list goes on but I hope that helps you out a bit

Cheers Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

ali

Post by ali » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 pm

We were out there 2 years ago with our then 18 month year old and are back this year with our 3 year old. Assuming you're also trying to do some paddling then:

Lovely swimming lake and park in the Ubaye valley.

We found river side walks much better as more shade for them so along the Onde and along the Lower Guisanne.

Small park just down stream of Briancon Gorge put in and also a garden with a lot of chickens and goats to see.

Actually found the lake at L'Argentierre very good as good size shallow area with clear water so they can see the fish swimming round their feet.

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Great information both, many thanks!

It's 10 years since I was last there (as a student) and wasn't really looking out for anything other than rivers and biere at that point :-)

Yes, certainly are taking boats and hoping to get a good few days use out of them! Hoping to get a sneaky day on the Verdon if I'm lucky! Other than the recent dates published by slime does anyone know any more about these releases? (i.e. volumes) or whether there is anywhere I can look up any other release dates (particularly between 25th June and the 7th July)?

Andy - Have you any more information on the biking routes (was contemplating taking mountain bikes out with us if we had space). Any routes online, or any local leaflets available (as per the via ferrata)

Ali - Are walks up from the take-out on the Guisaine and Onde?

Looking forward to it :-)

ali

Post by ali » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Both the Onde and lower Guisanne you can walk from the put in to the take out. Providing the group paddling doesn't have a time they like to race and your baby is being carried and not toddling then if you start walking while they get changed by the time they've run the shuttle and paddle you're at the take out with them.

We're hoping to get up into the mountains more this time as I think the lifts start running 2nd July. Not sure what's up there mind you.

For future reference Austria/Switzerland is the best paddling/family destination you're really spoilt with choice there.

I suspect we'll see you out there as we're there the same 2 weeks.

Darryl

Post by Darryl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:49 pm

We've been going to the Southern Alps with young kids for quite a few years, ours are now 6 and 4.

Venosc in the Veneon valley works as a great base for us. There is a really nice family friendly campsite which is also right next to a good outdoor swimming pool. The lift from the village (300m away) takes you straight up to the biking area at Les Deux Alpes (absolutely fantastic biking) and the class 4+ section of the Veneon runs from the campsite down for about 5 km. There is also another classic section of boating up the valley at La Berade. There are 2 via ferratas within 5km as well as crag climbing and tonnes of great walking for both kids and adults.

We have found it a great base as if several families go together then parents can tag-team childcare, get loads of fun stuff done without much driving around and the kids can also do loads of activities or go to the pool/eat icecream etc.

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:55 am

Via Ferrata kit rental was about €10-15 a day from what I recall seeing in the shops last year. For that you got harness, helmet and the actual via ferrata tails. So for two of you, assuming you have harness and helmets already then you are looking at 4 or 5 days use over lifetime of kit to justify buying? A few varying grades in the area including but a number seem to be closing due to maintenance and other issues including one that goes through Chateau Q that was closed last year so may still be out of bounds. May be worth taking a rope as well, especially if you have some nervous climbers as some of the ascents can be vertical with relatively long stretches between anchors, meaning any fall could be long, relative to length of cow tail so potentially high load factors before the anchor kicks in, so back up with a rope could be useful/confidence inspiring if needed. We took the decision to buy our own 3 years ago and have got our monies worth but your call.

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 am

The Chateau Q Via Ferratta had signs saying it was open when we were there at the start of June if anyone is interested. We paid 5-6 euro for a half day hire of via ferratta kit (not including helmets or harnesses) 2 years ago and the shops were open till 6, but it rained a lot this year so we didn't do any climbing!
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Tim, when are you arriving?

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:00 am

Kayacb wrote:Tim, when are you arriving?
25th June. Same day you guys are leaving I think! :-(

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:43 am

Yes, but our Ferry is Sunday morning so around for the full day on Saturday. Nic's got my Number.

ali

Post by ali » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:20 am

Found this link which is a useful one with what there is to do http://alpineplayground.com/activities/ ... ctivities/

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”